Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Selfish Irish Players

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Selfish Irish Players

Robbie Keane last night, Shay Given on numerous occasions.
    Why did they play last night? How are we ever going to groom new players when these two larks insist on playing every game no matter how pointless, and that was one pointless excercise last night. Leon Best must have been fuming.

They want to play as many games as they can for their country...la la la....

Given just wants the record and thats a fact. And Trap aint gonna upset them.

And as for Kilbane playing last night....what was the f**king point on that!!!

That game last night was a pathetic excuse for an "international" gain another cap and become a hometown hero

Should have been new up and coming players. Keane Duff Given should have been no where near the team

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Have you ever started a thread that wasn't utterly pointless?

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    How can you criticise individuals who have given up more time for their country as footballers than nearly any other Irishman to play the game? Whilst aware that it is an honour to play for your country there are many others that saw it as their divine right to withdraw from games, especially friendlies. Similar countries such as Wales are suffering with their start players, Craig Bellamy for example, who remain unavailable for games. The players remaining in our squad are proud to play for their country and as such I will support them 100%

I'd be extremely worried about holding your opinion in any regard if you truly believe your statement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    So tell me, honestly, do ye think Irish Football was better served last night by starting a group of players with 60+ caps, 2 of them with 100+, than starting lads like McCarthy, Best etc? Really.
    Please, tell me how.
    Cos its a crock of sh1t

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,215 Posts
    Yes. How do you think the younger players - Lawrence, McShane, St Ledger, Kelly et al - are going to learn if they don't have experienced players alongside them showing the ropes?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    FFS stupid thread. its up to trap to pick the team. if he wants to field an 11 of young hopefulls then thats what he will do. we would have been slaughtered last night if we fielded an inexperienced side. we will be more that glad to see robbie and shay come the euro 2012 qualifying campaign starts when our campaign will HINGE on these players. im sick of hearing this sh1te about robbie and shay looking for caps.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    While I dont fully agree with you, I dont completely disagree either.

Given maybe should have played the 1st half and then Westwood should have come on.

Keane instead of Doyle maybe coming off.

Cunningham or Wilson for Kilbane/ McShane but we were very limited in what he could do as regard changes in defence.

In fairness to Trap he did change most of the midfield around and he could also only make six changes.
    Last edited by greendeiseboy; 03/03/2010 at 9:20 AM.
    I have a head only Snow White would love

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    there will be other chances in friendly games where we will have more possession. Trap didnt want a huge defeat last night which could have happened if we were to disjointed. in the first half we played some nice football, i took a lot of positives from last night. kelly was very solid at right back.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    an_ceannaire (the leader?) is imho a stalking horse who posts controversial topics for the sake of it to keep the Forum active and energized. Here are some of the threads he has started:

Selfish Irish Players Started by an_ceannaire, 03/03/2010 9:59 AM

Should we stop recruiting NI players Started by an_ceannaire, 23/02/2010 3:03 PM

We hate the Irish (more than england now) -Scottish Fans Started by an_ceannaire, 24/02/2010 10:13 AM

Everton - Could they go down Started by an_ceannaire, 26/11/2009 3:15 PM

Mick McCarthy...Shame on you Started by an_ceannaire, 16/12/2009 9:19 AM

An Over Rated Irish 11 Started by an_ceannaire, 31/12/2009 11:41 AM

Lack of Respect for John Giles

Rugby now more popular than football AND GAA?!

Well that put Miriam back in her box!

Is this harsh/realistic?

"A skinny rat, a skinny little rat"

etc etc.

All topics that produce a knee jerk reaction or just a reaction and to be fair to him they do so I wouldn't pay too much attention to the sentiment - they are just there to be controversial for the sake of it.

p.s. I always thought it was the manager that picked the team not the player. There I fell in to his trap
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Don't take the bait lads, biggest WUM around. Agree witcha Duggie, Kelly was very impressive
    Le monde est a nous

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    I remember a time when players couldn't give a toss about playing for Ireland (1983-1986). Ronnie Whelan playing for Liverpool week before and after an Ireland game. Couple of others I could think of. I thought this thread was about selfish players staying at home, but instead it's about their selfish desire to play for their country. Give me a break!
    This is the cooooooooooooolest footy forum I've ever seen!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    If RK and Shay are selfish what on earth does that make Stephen Ireland?
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    You have got to have a right blend of youth and experience. Last night was not the night to draft in a bunch of new faces, Brazil wouldve slaughtered us. However, I do think Keane shouldve come off instead of Doyle.
    The friendlies this summer will be a more appropriate time to bring through the younger lads, similar to what Trap did in Portugal before the previous campaign.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    You have got to have a right blend of youth and experience. Last night was not the night to draft in a bunch of new faces, Brazil wouldve slaughtered us. However, I do think Keane shouldve come off instead of Doyle.
    The friendlies this summer will be a more appropriate time to bring through the younger lads, similar to what Trap did in Portugal before the previous campaign.
    100% agree. A bunch of new caps getting thumped by Brazil wouldn't have done anyone any good. And Trap as right to keep as many faces from the play off together as possible, helps to build momentum and continuity. There's plenty of time for new faces to come through.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Lads im pretty sure that Trap stated he wanted to field his strongest team for this game as close to the Paris match as possible to put that to bed...and that the 2 friendlies against Paragauy and Algeria at the end of the season would be used more for experimenting and blooding new players....maybe a bit of research before posting would be advised.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Dean Kiely retired stating 100% it was because Shay Given never gave him a chance to play as he insisted on playing all the games to "get the record"
    Shay Given isnt doing that for Ireland, he's doing it for Shay Given!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by an_ceannaire View Post
    Dean Kiely retired stating 100% it was because Shay Given never gave him a chance to play as he insisted on playing all the games to "get the record"
    Shay Given isnt doing that for Ireland, he's doing it for Shay Given!
    Shay Given doesn't pick the team,The manager does

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Arseholes...wanting to play for their country, the nerve of these players! The same thing half of you slate certain players for ALLEGEDLY "not wanting" to.
    Last edited by theworm2345; 03/03/2010 at 4:03 PM.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    FFS cant get over some people on here sometimes. would ya prefer if everyone had the attitude of Steven Ireland
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    i touched on it before but i dont see why Given and Keane got 90 minutes last night. It was a meaningless friendly, who cares if we got thumped 2-0 (as we did) or 4-0. A loss is a loss. Why do we care so much about "winning" friendlies? I thought that mentality was gone with the departure of Brian Kerr.

I admire the dedication and ambition of the Keanes and Givens and wouldnt call them "pathetic" or "selfish" as the OP stated but, come one, he has a point - friendlies are the perfect opportunity to give experience to the peripheral players and i think last night was a lost opportunity to do that. I dont understand Traps rationale at all i.e. to get the France game out of their system... a performance like the 2nd half last night would do more harm than good to the established players.

And before anyone jumps down my throat, i know its not a popular opinion but thats all it is - an opinion and its a valid one too.

edit: And no-one is calling for a team of 11 new caps but our back-up goalies and strikers have very little experience and should have seen some considerable game time and tested themselves against one of the best teams in the world.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast