Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chris Turner - Which Rovers?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts

Chris Turner - Which Rovers?

Has it been decided which Rovers Chris Turner will be playing for this year?

HAs he been playing for anyone in pre-season?

If he's a Shamrock player, did Sligo get any compensation?
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,631 Posts
    the contract he had with Sligo is valid. No court in the land will dispute that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    As good a player he is, I think he should hang his head in shame the way he's treated Sligo. This guy is purely motivated by money and nothing else - the Sligo lads may be able to clarify but I believe they paid him a lump sum (5k I think) to keep him covered for the closed season and then he fecks off to Shams for a better contract. I'm very surprised Shams have got involved with a player who had an agreement with another club, I thought O'Neill would be better than that but he's obviously not :-(

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    Crap split here. Save the drama queen rubbish for the pub.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,225 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    the contract he had with Sligo is valid. No court in the land will dispute that.
    What do you base that on?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    The fact that he signed his name to a contract with Sligo is fairly obvious I would have thought? The problem is he decided to sign a second one with Shamrock.

Grayzer is right though, the way Chris Turner has treated Sligo is a disgrace.

O'Neill & Shamrock's antics have been digraceful as well. If O'Neill & Shamrocks had any integrity (a big if I know) they would have walked away from Turner once they found out he had previously signed a deal with Sligo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wexfordned View Post
    The fact that he signed his name to a contract with Sligo is fairly obvious I would have thought? The problem is he decided to sign a second one with Shamrock.

Grayzer is right though, the way Chris Turner has treated Sligo is a disgrace.

O'Neill & Shamrock's antics have been digraceful as well. If O'Neill & Shamrocks had any integrity (a big if I know) they would have walked away from Turner once they found out he had previously signed a deal with Sligo.
    How does that answer pineapple stu's question? The fact that he signed a contract does't make it valid as the fai wouldn't register him with that contract because it was not valid and new ones were brought out that were valid and he signed one of them with Shamrock Rovers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    "A contract is an agreement giving rise to obligations enforced or recognised by law.
    The parties to the contract dictate the form and the contents. So a contract may be in writing, verbal, may be implied by inference from the conduct of both parties, or may be some combination of the above."

Doolin - Principles of Irish law.

The important piece is in italics. Turner, by turning out for training and, crucially, accepting a signing on fee and wage payments, is bound to the contract he signed with us. Whether it was written on the back of a cigarette packet is of no relevance in Law.

The other crucial aspects of contract ie an agreement, an intention to be contractually bound, consideration and an offer made and acceptance of that offer appear to be in order also.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    How does that answer pineapple stu's question? The fact that he signed a contract does't make it valid as the fai wouldn't register him with that contract because it was not valid and new ones were brought out that were valid and he signed one of them with Shamrock Rovers.
    Can we get off the registration issue if we are looking at whether the contract is valid in law or not?
    What the FAI accept for registration is their own business, but a contract is a contract and Turner has breached that.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    The interpretation of contract law by some on here is priceless ,lets scrap the heralded standerd playing contract and use fag packets since the documentation matters not in a court of law according to Sligo.Any money recieved by Turner was in good faith that he could be regesterd as a player by the league and play for a club that conducts its buissness according to league rules .Sligo messed him about not the other way round.
    Last edited by RoversHead; 02/03/2010 at 11:13 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    More crap moved to the bin. Next time I'm dumping the lot.

If you have a problem with a post, report it. That goes for mods too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dong View Post
    "A contract is an agreement giving rise to obligations enforced or recognised by law.
    The parties to the contract dictate the form and the contents. So a contract may be in writing, verbal, may be implied by inference from the conduct of both parties, or may be some combination of the above."

Doolin - Principles of Irish law.

The important piece is in italics. Turner, by turning out for training and, crucially, accepting a signing on fee and wage payments, is bound to the contract he signed with us. Whether it was written on the back of a cigarette packet is of no relevance in Law.

The other crucial aspects of contract ie an agreement, an intention to be contractually bound, consideration and an offer made and acceptance of that offer appear to be in order also.
    So as a contract law expert, if this fag packet contract is deemed valid (and kudos for Sligo for paying players lump sums and handshake agreements, great way of doing business), wont a judge in an employment case like this just call for restitution and for Turner to simply pay back the €5k or whatever he was given ?
    Last edited by Jicked; 02/03/2010 at 11:29 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluewhitearmy View Post
    By that logic then every player that had a contract from last season became a free agent when this new contract was brought out.
    For me the fact he hasnt played in any of Shams preseason friendlies tells its own story.
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post
    So as a contract law expert, if this fag packet contract is deemed valid (and kudos for Sligo for paying players lump sums and handshake agreements, great way of doing business), wont a judge in an employment case like this just call for restitution and for Turner to simply pay back the €5k or whatever he was given?
    Look Jicked, I didn't say that the contract was not written. I was merely making a point as to how I see it.
    I would imagine that, as you say, a Judge would order Turner to pay that money back and then he can play for the Hoops if he wants. No problem.
    I'm not an expert and never claimed to be. I merely quoted from a text to validate my point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    No, they could also sue for damages (to reputation, for potential lost revenue (as they can't replace a player) etc etc). Would Shamrock then be in trouble for tapping up an employee of another club (Or would the lack of a registration over ride the need to approach SLigo for his transfer)?

There's no way its as cut and dry as either side are making out.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    So as a contract law expert, if this fag packet contract is deemed valid (and kudos for Sligo for paying players lump sums and handshake agreements, great way of doing business), wont a judge in an employment case like this just call for restitution and for Turner to simply pay back the €5k or whatever he was given ?
    ... and kudos to o'Neill for pubically tapping up turner and kudos to Shams for signing a player under contract at another club, great way to do business ...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    ... and kudos to o'Neill for pubically tapping up turner
    Hold on, this is surely illegal.The dirty fecker!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redobit View Post
    ... and kudos to o'Neill for pubically tapping up turner and kudos to Shams for signing a player under contract at another club, great way to do business ...
    Well I'd imagine Rovers are saying that he wasn't under contract, or that for some reason he could walk away from the contract, which would mean there was no tapping up, and he wasn't under contract.

Anecdotally it seems that Sligo payed Turner a lump sum on the understanding he'd then sign a proper contract at the start of the new season/pre-season. After Sligo didn't win the cup/qualify for Europe, they revised their budget downwards and tried to get Turner to sign for a lower deal. Turner walked away at that point and signed for Shamrock Rovers (having turned them down originally to sign for Sligo's original offer + lump sum). The matter will turn on whether or not Sligo had a contract with him, giving him a lump sum on the understanding he'd sign a deal at a later date might not cut it, and if Sligo then offered him a lower deal than they had originally suggested he'd also be able to walk away from any gentleman's agreement they had.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    178 Posts
    Well I'd imagine Rovers are saying that he wasn't under contract, or that for some reason he could walk away from the contract, which would mean there was no tapping up, and he wasn't under contract.

Anecdotally it seems that Sligo payed Turner a lump sum on the understanding he'd then sign a proper contract at the start of the new season/pre-season. After Sligo didn't win the cup/qualify for Europe, they revised their budget downwards and tried to get Turner to sign for a lower deal. Turner walked away at that point and signed for Shamrock Rovers (having turned them down originally to sign for Sligo's original offer + lump sum). The matter will turn on whether or not Sligo had a contract with him, giving him a lump sum on the understanding he'd sign a deal at a later date might not cut it, and if Sligo then offered him a lower deal than they had originally suggested he'd also be able to walk away from any gentleman's agreement they had.
    And you know that how?

Too much speculation and BS going on here, thread should be closed.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,225 Posts
    He said it was anecdotal; he didn't present it as fact. It does appear plausible though.

If every thread was closed because someone posted something that wasn't backed up on the internet, the forum would have to close.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast