Thread: Airtricity League

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prodsc View Post
    When I try to log on to LOI site I get redirected to:

http://www.airtricityleague.com/index.php

but have problems loading the page because the server can't be found!!
    It's working for me now anyway.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    It's the Oirish way: we have our own top level domain, but sure shtick onto a dot-com, it'll be grand.

Quote Originally Posted by prodsc View Post
    When I try to log on to LOI site I get redirected to:

http://www.airtricityleague.com/index.php

but have problems loading the page because the server can't be found!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Looks a pretty decent site - maybe in time they create a better domain name
    Drogheda United in this together

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanDrog View Post
    Looks a pretty decent site - maybe in time they create a better domain name
    Is it not just the LoI site rebranded?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    Its a terrible name to start with. Secondly they are off to a bad start showing Cork City in the premier, Kildare County still there, no Salthill Devon etc!
    Aon, dó, trí, bhí mé i mo luí, thit mé den leaba, he! he! he!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buile Shuibhne View Post
    Is the amount too embarrassingly small to publicise?
    I must be missing something here. I thought that the whole idea of sponsorship was 1) the financial value to the Sponsoree 2) the PR value to the Sponsor. A major announcement without stating the amount seems pointless. We know what Airtricity is getting out of it but not what the League of Ireland is getting. Strange - to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Buile Shuibhne View Post
    Are the FAI considering opting out of involvement with the League of Ireland in 2 years time when the current agreement ends. And if so why are they taking the sponsorship with them?
    My take on that is that it is a bit (and the bit depends upon the financial value of the sponsorship) of a threat / inducement to the clubs not to try to break away from the FAI in two year's time.
    Last edited by Soccer Mom; 26/02/2010 at 2:15 PM. Reason: left out a word
    Technology ain't what it used to be

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    airtricityleague.com is the exact same site as loi.ie was. Just the banner at the top has been changed from League of Ireland to Airtricity League.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soccer Mom View Post
    I must be missing something here. I thought that the whole idea of sponsorship was 1) the financial value to the Sponsoree 2) the PR value to the Sponsor. A major announcement without stating the amount seems pointless. We know what Airtricity is getting out of it but not what the League of Ireland is getting. Strange - to say the least.
    Maybe its strategically important to the league not to announce it (and its by now means the only sponsorship deal not to announce figures - usually as they're low)

My take on that is that it is a bit (and the bit depends upon the financial value of the sponsorship) of a threat / inducement to the clubs not to try to break away from the FAI in two year's time.
    Wow, you've learned a lot in the last week seeing as you claimed to have no interest in the league?
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneForTheFuture View Post
    Is it not just the LoI site rebranded?
    Looks like it to me!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    christ lads, almost 3 pages of mostly moaning, dont like the name, why is it not .ie, amount must be embarrassingly small, Its a veiled threat from the FAI.... jaysus. Fact is, a league that is in awful shape has managed to get sponsorship in an economy that is in awful shape. that is a monumental achievement. A 'glass half full' approach is badly needed.
    we looked from Montrose to Swords, from swords to Montrose and from Montrose to Swords again but already it was impossible to spot UCDs right winger

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mr.untitled View Post
    christ lads, almost 3 pages of mostly moaning, dont like the name, why is it not .ie, amount must be embarrassingly small, Its a veiled threat from the FAI.... jaysus. Fact is, a league that is in awful shape has managed to get sponsorship in an economy that is in awful shape. that is a monumental achievement. A 'glass half full' approach is badly needed.
    I'd agree with some of that. I actually emailed the FAI saying well done for getting sponsorship given the state of the league and the economy.

That said, it's not necessarily a monumental achievement unless the money is decent, and I do agree that swapping between "league" and "league of Ireland" doesn't help to build a brand. I couldn't care less about the domain registration.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    I don't know how you can call it monumental unless you know the amount. The sponsorship deal could have been for free electricity to the FAI offices for all you know. Foot.ie could afford that ffs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    So why didn't you get invoved adam?

If you listen to some here, the league should be done away with, so for an upwardly mobile company to agree to attach their name to it, then its fairly big

Perception sometimse means more than reality
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Wow, you've learned a lot in the last week seeing as you claimed to have no interest in the league?
    Well actually I have learned a lot thanks to you and others so it's been worth the effort even if I did have to suffer the slings and arrows at times.

I never said that I have no interest in the League. I may not be as passionate about it as you, and others, might wish me to be, but I definitely do have an interest in it. I wouldn't be on this forum otherwise

Didn't mean to be negative and of course you're right that it is an achievement to secure sponsorship in the current climate but I would still like to know both sides of the deal. Presumably it will come out at some stage.
    Last edited by Soccer Mom; 26/02/2010 at 3:11 PM. Reason: adding punctuation
    Technology ain't what it used to be

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    I don't know how you can call it monumental unless you know the amount. The sponsorship deal could have been for free electricity to the FAI offices for all you know. Foot.ie could afford that ffs.
    fair enough, maybe 'monumental' was a bit of a stretch but you get my point. No disrespect to foot.ie, but having a large established company associate itsself with the the league can only be good, no matter what the amount. It will certainly help individual clubs get sponsorship if the business world sees that the brand is worth sponsoring.
    we looked from Montrose to Swords, from swords to Montrose and from Montrose to Swords again but already it was impossible to spot UCDs right winger

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    So why didn't you get invoved adam?
    I offered them a fiver and a handjob, but Airtricity outbid me. Apparently the monetary amount was the same, but the considerations were improved upon significantly. I wasn't willing to go any further than the handjob.

fair enough, maybe 'monumental' was a bit of a stretch but you get my point. No disrespect to foot.ie, but having a large established company associate itsself with the the league can only be good, no matter what the amount. It will certainly help individual clubs get sponsorship if the business world sees that the brand is worth sponsoring.
    I'm not knocking it, just saying that people shouldn't attach too much significance to it. Foot.ie could get a mainline sponsor tomorrow if we gave it up for nothing.

Anyway, I'm not as big a fan of Airtricity as I used to be, so I'm probably just being bitchy.
    Last edited by dahamsta; 26/02/2010 at 3:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soccer Mom View Post
    Well actually I have learned a lot thanks to you and others so it's been worth the effort even if I did have to suffer the slings and arrows at times.

I never said that I have no interest in the League. I may not be as passionate about it as you, and others, might wish me to be, but I definitely do have an interest in it. I wouldn't be on this forum otherwise
    I didn't mean that question mark at the end. I was actually saying that even though you're a relatively new fan, you've hit it spot on
    ---

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    177 Posts
    Thank You
    Manager: Fergal, have you your boots with ya?
    Fergal: Ya, I have them here.
    Manager: Ah good stuff, well give them to this man so, he forgot his!

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    Spot on too.
    People are still calling it the Eircom League, including some managers recently.

On the other hand, it's all very positive to get a new sponsor onboard, let's hope now we all get free electricity with our season ticket purchase.
    This quote is from the Airtricity League website ffs!!
    Paul Cook is currently sampling his first taste of the eircom League of Ireland
    http://www.airtricityleague.com/inde...d=23&Itemid=22

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    sounds like a bad comic book concisting of superheroes such as super ted and captian planet, possibly the gayest name possible but moneys money i guess

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast