Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Airtricity League

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soccer Mom View Post
    I wonder whose finger prints are on this?
    I don't know but Pat Kenny and Des Cahill have just discussed this on the radio.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Brilliant news. Had heard that something was in the pipeline and knew it was big but this is incredible.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    The partnership deal, which was signed today at the D4 Berkeley Hotel in Ballsbridge for an undisclosed sum, will see the competition renamed the Airtricity League for the next three years. The agreement will cover the remaining two years of the FAI's management of the League and will be renewed for a further year, subject to continued FAI management

2 Questions

Is the amount too embarrassingly small to publicise?

Are the FAI considering opting out of involvement with the League of Ireland in 2 years time when the current agreement ends. And if so why are they taking the sponsorship with them?
    A transient, horrible, fantastic dream,
    Wherein is nothing yet all things do seem:
    From which we're wakened by a friendly nudge
    Of our bedfellow Death, and cry: "O fudge!"

Ambrose Bierce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Great news to have a major sponsor on board alright. Think we'll all get used to it being just called the Airtricity League instead of the Airtricity League of Ireland.
    Maybe it was an attempt by the FAI to approach the Irish EPL fan in a different way. I know when I mention the words 'League of Ireland' to most of my Premier League supporting friends they become instantly negative towards the product, dropping the 'of Ireland' part is worth a shot, even if it does turn out to be unsuccessful.
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn, it's what seperates us from the animals!! Well... except for the weasel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buile Shuibhne View Post
    Are the FAI considering opting out of involvement with the League of Ireland in 2 years time when the current agreement ends. And if so why are they taking the sponsorship with them?
    Do the clubs have the option of breaking away again after the agreement ends?
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    wording would seem to indicate that but I doubt they would. Personally I hope not, I know people have been frustrated with the FAI but IMO they are getting there. Feeling very positive about the league at the moment, I am sure there will be more pain and bad news but the end rsult will hopefully be a league operating within its means and a level playing pitch - this canonly be a good thing.

I am just throwing this in there but maybe in the future part of licencing might require clubs to have a min. % of the club ownership in a supporters co-op type grouping.
    Drogheda United in this together

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    I didn't like calling it the Eircom League and I won't be calling it the Airtricity League. The forum name won't be changing.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanDrog View Post
    I am just throwing this in there but maybe in the future part of licencing might require clubs to have a min. % of the club ownership in a supporters co-op type grouping.
    I think Bohs have shown that doesn't necessarily help. Other clubs (like Stockport, for example) have shown it's not a perfect structure either.

I think BS might have a point about the "undisclosed" sponsorship, but feck it - money for nothing really.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanDrog View Post
    wording would seem to indicate that but I doubt they would. Personally I hope not, I know people have been frustrated with the FAI but IMO they are getting there. Feeling very positive about the league at the moment, I am sure there will be more pain and bad news but the end rsult will hopefully be a league operating within its means and a level playing pitch - this canonly be a good thing.
    I'd agree with that completely. Its essential that the FAI stay involved and despite the negatives surrounding a lot of clubs the association are making good headway with league standards. It would be a real disaster for the league if the FAI were to pull out in two years time.
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn, it's what seperates us from the animals!! Well... except for the weasel.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Not really bothered what it's called. The important thing is getting the sponsorship. I can't imagine many were lining up to provide it given the profile of the league at the moment and the recession. Also not sure how valuable the Ireland brand is when trying to attract further money and supporters into the game. It doesn't appear to have much of an impact historically.

The important thing going forward is to get the structure of the league correct and have clubs operating in a sustianable way. That and improvements in the grounds and match day experience will be what attracts new fans and not what the name of the league is.
    "I'd rather play in front of a full house than an empty crowd" Johnny Giles

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I'm delighted with this news, as it's a hopefully an expanding company who would have wanted their name "Out There" in the public arena so to choose our League of Ireland has to be positive. After all they could have gone running to Croke Park with their cash ! Although it'll always be the League of Ireland to me a fan of over 30 years !!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    I didn't like calling it the Eircom League and I won't be calling it the Airtricity League. The forum name won't be changing.
    Spot on too.
    People are still calling it the Eircom League, including some managers recently.

On the other hand, it's all very positive to get a new sponsor onboard, let's hope now we all get free electricity with our season ticket purchase.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buile Shuibhne View Post
    Is the amount too embarrassingly small to publicise?
    Whiel they - and we - can't complain about getting any sponsor on board with the economy as it is, I'd say yes, it's probably embarassingly small.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post

I see they didn't even bother to register airticityleague.ie yet.
    When I try to log on to LOI site I get redirected to:

http://www.airtricityleague.com/index.php

but have problems loading the page because the server can't be found!!
    Last edited by dahamsta; 26/02/2010 at 12:50 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    Whiel they - and we - can't complain about getting any sponsor on board with the economy as it is, I'd say yes, it's probably embarassingly small.
    Ah come on now....sure it will go towards another few seats in the new Landsdown stadium

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    in line with all electricty companies billing system the prize money will be estimated
    I wish i did not know then what I dont know now

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passerrby View Post
    in line with all electricty companies billing system the prize money will be estimated
    *Thanks*

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,219 Posts
    Hate to see what Bohs will estimate in their budget.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sixesandsevens View Post
    Maybe it was an attempt by the FAI to approach the Irish EPL fan in a different way. I know when I mention the words 'League of Ireland' to most of my Premier League supporting friends they become instantly negative towards the product, dropping the 'of Ireland' part is worth a shot, even if it does turn out to be unsuccessful.
    I don't get your logic, it's not that long ago it was the "eircom league" and they still came up with the same bull excuses.

Very disappointing the FAI didn't bother getting it the "Airtricity League of Ireland".

And btw, did people miss the fecking around with Licences, when they came to the conclusion that the FAI are doing such a good job and it's so imperative that they stay involved?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prodsc View Post
    When I try to log on to LOI site I get redirected to:

http://www.airtricityleague.com/index.php

but have problems loading the page because the server can't be found!!
    It's redirecting to fai.ie now - which, i haven't been there in a while - seems to have been redone in a loi.ie stylee

edit: from fai.ie there's airtricity league under grass root points to loi.ie, but redirtects to airtricityleague.ie, which is mostly same as before - except for the branding - scomplete with last season's fixtures
    Last edited by A N Mouse; 26/02/2010 at 12:54 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast