Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Robbie Brady (M Preston b.1992)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,332 Posts
    Nobody ever mentions Formula one drivers' salaries either, and they're routinely at the top of the highest paid sportspeople in the world. Schumacher was on 50 million a year at one point! Why do footballers get called out for their earnings?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,332 Posts
    there might be something to the laminated sheet story
    Brady wasn't in the lineup photo
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    578 Posts
    Never had a problem with how much soccer players earn.
    If there's that much money in the game I'd rather it go to the players than Sky, shareholders etc.

I think the real issue people have with soccer players is the diving and play-acting. That, for me, is what really takes away from the sport.
    The only way around it is heavy punishment for the perpetrators, even if posthumously.
    I read today that FAI will be fined for us getting so many yellow cards against Poland.
    No mention of anyone or any association being fined for the cynical things that went on on the pitch.
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Nobody ever mentions Formula one drivers' salaries either, and they're routinely at the top of the highest paid sportspeople in the world. Schumacher was on 50 million a year at one point! Why do footballers get called out for their earnings?
    Probably to do with football's popularity (there is saturated coverage of every little detail) and it being the "working man's game". The gap is possibly seen as more obvious or significant between the humble, working-class roots and those who work their way into the game's elite because there's just so much money in it. Is it to do with a sort of begrudgery of the vast accumulation of wealth perhaps? Many of football's followers possibly view footballers' lifestyles as more repugnant and at odds with their ideals and sense of community. They probably don't bother themselves so much about wealthy stars from other sports; they aren't their heroes, after all, which also kind of shows the peculiar sort of bipolar relationship football fans have with those who play the game they love. I have no real issue with footballers earning what they can get, I might add. Fair play to them. There's an awful lot of money in the game because it makes an awful lot of people around the world happy, and they're its actors, after all. As Fixer says, rather the footballers get it than others in the background. Those who follow the likes of rugby and Formula One (more middle-class?) probably don't begrudge affluence (or probably aren't as suspicious of it) in the same way many football fans might (be). Not that I'm necessarily suggesting that resentment is an irrational or inappropriate response either. We live in a terribly unequal society and it's naturally a great source of social discontent.

Ah, yeah, I wasn't seriously doubting that he'd been over talking to O'Neill; I just think it a bit silly to assume he was only then learning what he was really being expected to do at that moment.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Footballers are knackers, that's why the middle classes are outraged at their earnings.

So Brady was over talking to O'Neill. So, what? Are we really being asked to believe he didn't know where he was playing? All the media were reporting he was likely to play LB all week cos that's where he had been training. Stephen Quinn was quoted about him playing LB.

No, let's make a crisis out of a good comeback and a good second half.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Never had a problem with how much soccer players earn.
    The only way around it is heavy punishment for the perpetrators, even if posthumously.
    I can just see FIFA turning up at players' funerals and going up to their grieving widows: we're taking 5,000 Swiss francs from you for your husband diving against Ireland 54 years ago

8. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    ya it's completely true but I thought the point of ridicule here was that it didn't matter he missed it. to be it's a formal part of the process and pre match process - the fact he was still at the point of needing info from Mon with respect to where he was playing or formation or whatever is pretty poor.

I saw that pic after the game and wondered why it was slightly lopsided not knowing he actually was getting last minute advice from Mon!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,332 Posts
    whenever anyone mentions how much a player earns, it always reminds me of Chris Rock's "rich VS wealth" routine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdmW0rnvF_s
    Which made me think of the Formula One post above - but also this: people will question a player's wages, but not the wages of the guy who pays him + twenty two other squad members every week.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 02/04/2015 at 11:44 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Players' salaries aren't normally an issue until the likes of Ashley Cole make silly comments about their pay. I still think his comments were amazing. ON Brady's perfromance against Poland, to me he looked completely confused as to what to do until McGeady changed wings. Once this happened he seemed to be more assured as to what the game plan was. He showed enough promise over the whole game to be played there again. particularly if Bruce continues to play him there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I think the whole team looked nervous confused for a half hour.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I think the whole team looked nervous confused for a half hour.
    Not arguing with that comment , but I felt once this move occured, Brady felt more certain of his role and after three times of viewing the game I have become more adamant in my belief!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    The thing is when salaries are generally discussed, they are discussed in a sneering jealous context, "he's a selfish so and so" "blackmailing the club" "cashley cole" , or equating money with performance, "disgracefully lazy sod, he should run around a bit more considering what he's paid".
    If high transfer fee or high salary made footballing excellence, then life would be very straightforward.

The actual context for discussing the exorbitant salaries and subsequent rise in inequality is in another place altogether and that place has absolutely nothing to do with the individual footballer who would be certifiable if he said "Im not worth that worth boss, just pay me half".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Not arguing with that comment , but I felt once this move occured, Brady felt more certain of his role and after three times of viewing the game I have become more adamant in my belief!
    Yeah I'm not disputing yours either. I remember in my own (brief) full back days I'd gain in confidence and positional awareness as the game wore on anyway. I recall constantly looking across at my centre backs following their line and trying to develop an understanding with the wide midfielder in front of me. Poland could have been set up slightly differently to what was prepared and it might have thrown him for a while. Even if they weren't, I don't think it necessarily points to a lack of communication or preparation on the part of the management, probably more Brady's own lack of experience and learning the role at such a high level.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    903 Posts
    I don’t know why people think footballers’ pay is fair game for criticism. There are much higher paid people in many other areas, some for less effort and talent than a footballer (hello, Ashton Kutcher). A quick search brought up these recent examples of high pay, some in under the radar sports (here anyways) and a few non-sports areas.

Highest paid TV actor (2014) Ashton Kutcher, €26 (Mark Harmon was joint 5th on a measly $19m. Now who was it who said we’re in TV’s golden age? Seriously?)
    Best paid in baseball (2014): Ryan Howard, $25m
    Best paid academic in the US (2013) David N. Silvers: $4.33m (Clinical Professor of Dermatology and Pathology and Director of the Dermatopathology Laboratory at Columbia University, and all round Smartie Pants. I'm an academic, but I get paid weakly, very bloody weakly.)
    Best paid in European basketball: Theodoros Papaloukas €3.5m
    Average EPL salary (2014): £2.3m
    Tenth-highest paid Irish CEO (2014): Gene Murtagh, Kingspan, €2.6m
    (I think from here down is where the bulk of the Irish squad would come in this list)
    Average championship salary (2014): £486,000
    Most expensive stud cover fee: Frankel c. £100,000
    Biggest advance for an Irish first-time novelist: Kathleen McMahon, €500,000 (I think John Connolly may have gotten even more back in the ‘90s, but I can’t find that info)
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    the fact he was still at the point of needing info from Mon with respect to where he was playing or formation or whatever is pretty poor.
    We don't even know what info he was receiving/sharing/seeking, so we're simply in no position to criticise from ignorance. Even if Brady wasn't sure of something, you'd rather he sought clarification then, before kick-off, than him not asking (and later possibly getting into difficulty as a result) for fear of looking stupid. A player spoke about how the instructions were much clearer now under anglophonic O'Neill. I think it was Gibson who, a few days earlier, had said that the players know exactly what was expected of them now, which he felt was a big improvement on the confusion that he claimed riddled Trap's instructions.

Perhaps Brady saw where one of their right-sided players had just positioned himself or he saw who exactly he'd be up against, having previously not been certain, and was seeking advice based on this new information. Martin O'Neill doesn't receive details of the Polish strategical line-up before the game, does he? The names of both teams were released and shared pre-kick-off, but the exact positional or tactical line-ups surely not. UEFA supplied the media with two line-ups that were in a 4-4-2 format. They had Hoolahan on the right wing for us. So who knows what the two were talking about? We can't really draw any conclusions. A manager passes instructions to his players throughout the whole game in order to deal with scenarios that develop and circumstances as they arise. It's called adapting to the situation.

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Players' salaries aren't normally an issue until the likes of Ashley Cole make silly comments about their pay. I still think his comments were amazing.
    I don't think the matter is ever that far away from the football-following public's curiosity. I remember English teachers often used to raise it ("Are footballers wages justified?") as a class debate or discursive essay topic back in school. It's one of life's big questions, it would seem...

What exactly did Cole say?

Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Grise View Post
    I don’t know why people think footballers’ pay is fair game for criticism.
    Do the vast wages remind football fans of the unspoken reality that their beloved club is to a large degree a business with employees instead of loyal servants?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    What exactly did Cole say?
    in his autobiography he said he nearly crashed his car when his agent rang with his new contract offer of £55,000 a week
    Ash! Are you listening?” said a virtually hyperventilating Jonathan. “I’m here in the office and David Dein is saying they aren’t going to give you £60k a week. They’ve agreed £55k and this is their best and final offer. Are you happy with that?” When I heard Jonathan (Barnett) repeat the figure of £55k, I nearly swerved off the road. “He is taking the ****, Jonathan!” I yelled down the phone. I was so incensed. I was trembling with anger. I couldn’t believe what I’d heard. I suppose it all started to fall apart for me from then on. I’d trusted Mr Dein to push the deal through.
    I got that from an Arsenal fan's blog: http://the-cannon.com/2006/09/11/ash...-book-extract/
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 02/04/2015 at 11:42 AM.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    in his autobiography he said he nearly crashed his car when his agent rang with his new contract offer of £55,000 a week

I got that from an Arsenal fan's blog: http://the-cannon.com/2006/09/11/ash...-book-extract/
    So, good amazing or shocking amazing?

I suppose, if he had crashed the car, he could always have blamed it on Jermaine Pennant.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    At least he remembered he had a Mercedes.
    Porche by comparison are forgettable.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,001 Posts
    The great thing about sport is that the best paid sportspeople in the world are, by a fairly objective criteria, demonstrably among the best in the world at what they do, unlike so many other forms of entertainment where ability is subjective and hype and advertising can go on indefinitely without being found out.

25. Thanks From:

Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast