Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Robbie Brady (M Preston b.1992)

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    What? He went to shield the ball because normally Brady would attempt to go shoulder to shoulder. The tackle was completely unnecessary. Maybe he doesn't swing the leg around but the way he goes in he stills takes the defender's legs out from under him.
    Again pretty ridiculous, Brady goes to play the ball, which is the fundamental right of a football player, it is the other player who goes to 'play Brady'
    ie body check him or obstruct him with his body, that is illegal in football (unless you are playing gridiron football where tackling off the ball is allowed).
    How can a tackle be completely unnecessary???? He got the ball, that is a necessary part of the game!!!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Because Hull are not appealing, does not mean they think it was straight red card offense. Once a ref decides it was a straight red card, then that becomes the truth by default.
    Red cards are turned over a few times a year, aren't they? Hull not appealing means that while they thought it was harsh, they reckon the 3-game ban would likely be upheld or extended as the rules are commonly interpreted.

Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    I actually think, if anything, that makes it a fairer attempt. From looking at it the ball is there to be played but the angle of the Southampton player means, to play it, a tackler would have to come 'round the corner', at an angle. Brady could've went straight through the guy, but instead, he tries to play the ball first by swinging his right leg round to play it.

It doesn't quite come off for him - it's a foul for me - but it's still a tough challenge, in the spirit of the game. Zero malice in it. Over-exuberant maybe, full-blooded sure, but definitely not a red. I think he's very unlucky.
    I think he was unlucky, sure, but I think he was reckless too. Youthful exuberance I think people call it.

Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    Again pretty ridiculous, Brady goes to play the ball, which is the fundamental right of a football player, it is the other player who goes to 'play Brady'
    ie body check him or obstruct him with his body, that is illegal in football (unless you are playing gridiron football where tackling off the ball is allowed).
    How can a tackle be completely unnecessary???? He got the ball, that is a necessary part of the game!!!
    No, not body check, getting to the ball first and putting his body in the way. It happens dozens of times in every game. It's Brady's job to either get to the ball or win it cleanly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Just watch the Southampton player, he makes no attempt to move to the ball just to block Brady with a body check, that is illegal.
    If it is a 50/50 ball you can use a shoulder charge to hold your ground as you go the ball but can't just body check a player off the
    ball like that.
    Can't believe he got sent off, the game has gone mad!!

Also if Hull appeal they risk the ban being lengthened.

I simply do not understand how playing the ball can get you sent off, whilst not playing the ball and barging into another
    player trying to play the ball gets not sanction!! Lets face it if the other player had tried to play the ball as he should have, then
    there would have been no incident as such. The game has gone mad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts

No, not body check, getting to the ball first and putting his body in the way. It happens dozens of times in every game. It's Brady's job to either get to the ball or win it cleanly.
    He does not get to the ball first, in fact he never touches it!!
    Total miscarriage of justice!!!

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It doesn't matter that he didn't touch the ball. He was between Brady and the ball and Brady went through him. You can debate whether it was a red card but there's no way you could possibly argue it wasn't a foul.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    It doesn't matter that he didn't touch the ball. He was between Brady and the ball and Brady went through him. You can debate whether it was a red card but there's no way you could possibly argue it wasn't a foul.
    The only reason 'Brady went through him' was because he recklessly threw himself into the path of Brady
    id Brady had not gone down to avoid avoid him there coudl have been a potentially fatal clash of heads.
    He even stick his arm across Robbies chest.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    So you've now upgraded it from a body check to attempted murder? I can't wait to find out what happens next.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Red cards are turned over a few times a year, aren't they?
    To quote a reliable source "The FA's appeals policy is generally seen as quite restrictive and only a small percentage of red cards are ever overturned"

Hull not appealing means that while they thought it was harsh, they reckon the 3-game ban would likely be upheld or extended as the rules are commonly interpreted.
    I don't know why Hull decided not to appeal. I would refer you to the reliable source quoted above, as a probable incentive for a club to decide not to appeal.
    The burden of proof is on the player to prove the ref wrong. And I refer you to the reliable source quoted above to reflect just how difficult a task that is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I shouldn't have said overturned actually - they'd probably have been better arguing that no more than a game was sufficient. The system is strict but if they had a decent shout, they could have gone for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Jeez, that's nothing.
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Anyone see the Spearing straight red for Liverpool at Fulham? Won the ball cleanly, no doubt, but again a reckless lunge. If he didn't win the ball it was a leg breaker. And this time his opponent was much closer and in front of him.

Some will think the game has gone mad but I'd have played football for a few years longer if some fecker hadn't felt it was OK to lunge feet first at speed.

3 words: Duty of care.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Anyone see the Spearing straight red for Liverpool at Fulham? Won the ball cleanly, no doubt, but again a reckless lunge. If he didn't win the ball it was a leg breaker. And this time his opponent was much closer and in front of him.

Some will think the game has gone mad but I'd have played football for a few years longer if some fecker hadn't felt it was OK to lunge feet first at speed.

3 words: Duty of care.
    Funny enough Stutts was watching the game and after I saw the tackle I immediately thought of this discussion.

For me this is a perfect example of what you're referring to - the ball was there to be played and he played it, but in terms of technique and nastiness it was diabolical.

Why he felt the need to go off this feet and two footed when a perfectly ordinary slide tackle would've sufficed is beyond me.

This possibly goes back to you initial point - this kid is supposed to be a Premier League standard midfielder but that was a horrendously executed tackle. Maybe there's some coaching points being skipped here.
    Last edited by SwanVsDalton; 05/12/2011 at 9:28 PM.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Exactly, like how to tackle. And the commentators shamefully passed over addressing the issue at hand. They let all the kids out there learning the game wondering why, if he won the ball, was it even a foul. No mention of Edoardo or others who have been out out for a year by genuine but reckless lunge.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 05/12/2011 at 9:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Yeah it was definitely worse than Brady's. He got the ball and then his studs flew right and took Dembele out of it. If Dembele had been a second earlier and nipped the ball away his ankle would likely be in 100 pieces by now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    I would have sent the Southampton guy off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts
    I hate seeing red cards for challenges like this. An almost identical tackle ruled me out of the Kennedy Cup final as a kid.

Still feel bitter about it to this day.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    I don't agree with giving red cards for perfectly good tackles. Haven't seen the Liverpool one but Brady's sending off was a joke.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Had just turned on the game at Craven Cottage when the Spearing tackle happened.

The straight red was merited. Terrible lunge.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    I've missed the last two pages. Did we agree that he'll probably get a call up in the new year, but is unlikely to get into the squad for the Championships?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Should there be a training camp for potential additions, Brady is very likely to be included. Brady's club form aside, Noel King frequently informs Trapattoni of players who are worth monitoring.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast