Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: What Role Does the League of Ireland Play in Irish Football?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Originally Posted by pineapple stu
    The general attitude in this country of "I'd support the LoI if it were better and if a club got into the group stages of the CL" is one of the main things holding the league back.
    that will be unlikely to happen, with uefa
    id love to see the day, england spain and italy and maybe germany get less teams to go to champions league and an irish team gets in automatically, then these big clubs in england mightnt have the same appeal to barstoolers.

soccer mom, does you kid(s) go to LOI matches??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    This is true, but I think the point being made is that for the LOI to improve, the onus is on LOI clubs to make themselves attractive to those who are not currently attracted to it.

It is easy, and to a certain extent correct, to say that it is just as much their (the uninterested people's) fault the LOI is the way it is as it is the LOI's fault, but the fact remains that for us to improve, we need them, in a way they do not need us. We can criticize them for not wanting to come along to games until the clubs reach a certain level of success, and we'd have a valid reason to criticize, but that valid reason doesn't bring any money into the club.
    Again, nobody argues that the LOI has to improve its image/profile what we need to look at is HOW we do that. Many clubs have tried initiatives around pricing and/or special offers (kids go free, two games for price of one, Ireland ticket access etc) many clubs have had promotional campaigns and many other ideas.
    What I have never been clear on (and I think many clubs fall into this trap) is who are we targeting ? Euro success (on previous experience) gets one off crowds but has rarely had "stickibility" (Shels V Depo ) therefore trying that route is not the answer in my opinion. Building community links (especially at a time of more transient population) is slow burning at best (not to mention the competition from the bogball etc).
    Promotion of LOI will never compete with the unlimited bankroll of EPL and the ever present shadow of SKY Sports.

Unfortunately I can see no "magic bullet" solution to the problem of limited attendance. Hard slog and a gradual targeted build up (among fans with a genuine interest in watching live football) is the only option I can see for the League of Ireland, the national team could do more (antyhing would be a start) to promote the game here but that does not appear to be on the FAI agenda.

The most promising thing is that we have a good product to sell (all the major intellects on here could not possibly be wrong ) - and it is guaranteed Irish !

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Unfortunately I can see no "magic bullet" solution to the problem of limited attendance.
    What!! You mean these internet discussions won't solve our problems?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    This is true, but I think the point being made is that for the LOI to improve, the onus is on LOI clubs to make themselves attractive to those who are not currently attracted to it.

It is easy, and to a certain extent correct, to say that it is just as much their (the uninterested people's) fault the LOI is the way it is as it is the LOI's fault, but the fact remains that for us to improve, we need them, in a way they do not need us. We can criticize them for not wanting to come along to games until the clubs reach a certain level of success, and we'd have a valid reason to criticize, but that valid reason doesn't bring any money into the club.
    Precisely the point I was trying to make. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    I still think what I posted is the single most important thing that needs to be done. There are other factors too, of course, including what you posted.
    On one hand I can't deny that if more people "Get involved with your local club" then that helps to solve the attendance issue but people are not doing it. We can engage in all the wishful thinking in the world but that changes nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by danthesaint View Post
    soccer mom, does you kid(s) go to LOI matches??
    My eldest son has no interest in sport whatsoever. Part of my youngest sons' Christmas present was a 2010 season ticket for Shamrock Rovers. I brought him to Tallaght Stadium a couple of times last year and he must have gotten the bug because he asked for the season ticket. I didn't foist it on him. BTW I changed milkman between the birth of my two boys. The first one had no interest in any chit chat about football.

Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Again, nobody argues that the LOI has to improve its image/profile what we need to look at is HOW we do that. Many clubs have tried initiatives around pricing and/or special offers (kids go free, two games for price of one, Ireland ticket access etc) many clubs have had promotional campaigns and many other ideas.
    Building community links (especially at a time of more transient population) is slow burning at best (not to mention the competition from the bogball etc).
    Promotion of LOI will never compete with the unlimited bankroll of EPL and the ever present shadow of SKY Sports.

Unfortunately I can see no "magic bullet" solution to the problem of limited attendance. Hard slog and a gradual targeted build up (among fans with a genuine interest in watching live football) is the only option I can see for the League of Ireland, the national team could do more (antyhing would be a start) to promote the game here but that does not appear to be on the FAI agenda.

The most promising thing is that we have a good product to sell (all the major intellects on here could not possibly be wrong ) - and it is guaranteed Irish !
    You're absolutely right that there is no magic bullet and that there is a need for a multi-faceted approach. In terms of building long term and loyal support I think the clubs have got to get into the schools and the schoolboys clubs. The FAI should take a overarching role and help facilitate the clubs with the organisation of this. This shouldn't cost that much especially if it was stitched into the players contracts that he had to spend x amount of time in visiting schools and clubs. Maybe also give heavily discounted tickets to kids to get them in the gate to experience the match-day experience. I agree that this will be a slow burn but if the League had begun a sustained outreach program twenty years ago those kids might very well be bringing their own kids to LoI matches today.

Playing the "Guaranteed Irish" card has merit also and recruiting Irish international (especially the likes of Kevin Doyle & Fahy) players in promoting the LoI. The FAI should take a lead role in all this.

Does the Foot.ie have a real world presence? I get the sense that there is the potential of a strong lobby group here that could meet with the Head of League Marketing (Noel Mooney) to see what his plans are and maybe have an input?
    Last edited by Soccer Mom; 24/02/2010 at 3:12 PM. Reason: typo
    Technology ain't what it used to be

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    foot.ie will set up their own football club in my back garden and ourselves and foras can break away and make an irish premierleague like in england?

thatl get the barstoolers in the gates

no?..
    Last edited by Acornvilla; 24/02/2010 at 4:51 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soccer Mom View Post
    Precisely the point I was trying to make. Thank you.

In terms of building long term and loyal support I think the clubs have got to get into the schools and the schoolboys clubs. The FAI should take a overarching role and help facilitate the clubs with the organisation of this. This shouldn't cost that much especially if it was stitched into the players contracts that he had to spend x amount of time in visiting schools and clubs. Maybe also give heavily discounted tickets to kids to get them in the gate to experience the match-day experience. I agree that this will be a slow burn but if the League had begun a sustained outreach program twenty years ago those kids might very well be bringing their own kids to LoI matches today.
    This is already happening.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts

Thanks for that. I think that's coming at it from the wrong end. Someone will only get involved with their local club if they are already one of the converted. One of the problems for the League is that most people don't feel a connection to any club. Therefore it is up to the FAI / LoI /clubs to reach out to the public and make that connection.
    Delighted to have you wade in I'll try to put this as delicately as I can - I get the sense from many contributers here that if you don't go to LoI matches then you can't be a real Irish football fan. It comes across to me as a type of intolerance and - to be frank - snobbishness. People that go to international matches have an interest in football. People that watch English football on TV have an interest in football. The fact that I will be up at 9am on Sunday putting up nets with my fingers freezing to the bone for my sons schoolboy match displays an interest in football. It's a broad church so let's be inclusive and tolerant.

The only connection one needs is a love of football, live football. Get off the sofa and head to the nearest LOI match - simple as
    If Irish people can support muck like the Gah then surely they can support football in this country - no excuses

And I am sorry but you surely cant compare fellas watching Sky Sports to people experiencing real live games in the LOI - one is to be entertained the other is there for the love of the game and their team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    well said bennocelt.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

On one hand I can't deny that if more people "Get involved with your local club" then that helps to solve the attendance issue but people are not doing it. We can engage in all the wishful thinking in the world but that changes nothing.

You're absolutely right that there is no magic bullet and that there is a need for a multi-faceted approach. In terms of building long term and loyal support I think the clubs have got to get into the schools and the schoolboys clubs. The FAI should take a overarching role and help facilitate the clubs with the organisation of this. This shouldn't cost that much especially if it was stitched into the players contracts that he had to spend x amount of time in visiting schools and clubs. Maybe also give heavily discounted tickets to kids to get them in the gate to experience the match-day experience. I agree that this will be a slow burn but if the League had begun a sustained outreach program twenty years ago those kids might very well be bringing their own kids to LoI matches today.

Playing the "Guaranteed Irish" card has merit also and recruiting Irish international (especially the likes of Kevin Doyle & Fahy) players in promoting the LoI. The FAI should take a lead role in all this.
    The guaranteed Irish thing only gets premiership tv watchers backs up as they feel that we are questioning their patriotism or whatever.

The rest of the stuff is being done by the majority of clubs. Bohs have sent players to schools and have a big schoolboy section using DCUs world class facilities. Kids go free, junior gypsies programmes all done.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678