Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D.24saint View Post
    Best: Turners Cross
    Worst: Jackman Park
    Agreed.
    So if you think Bohs are big read this. http://www.astronomy.ie/perpespective.html

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    In terms of disapointment, Dalymount is up there, given the way the ground seems to have more value as a car park than a football stadium.

The first time I went to Dalymount was to the friendly between Ireland and France (Andy Townsends first game). The athmosphere was electric, though the game was a dour 0-0.

The stadium since then has fallen into disrepair (Jodie stand excepted), which is a terrible pity.

I'd love to see League of Ireland clubs either strike deals with builders who need the work, for affordable up to date facilities, or 'do a Rovers' and get local authorites involved in community stadiums, which have worked wonders in attracting the punters into league of ireland games in Tallaght.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    The away section in Oriel Park needs sorting out. Probably the worst in the League.
    You've got no fans.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Night View Post
    I'd love to see League of Ireland clubs either strike deals with builders who need the work, for affordable up to date facilities
    Eh, are you being serious here or trying to have a sly dig at Bohs? I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume it was a genuine comment. "Deals" with builders are something of a minefield these days. You might find the following to be of some interest:

http://archives.tcm.ie/businesspost/...story14047.asp
    http://www.independent.ie/national-n...eal-76942.html
    http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/bo...t-1528137.html
    http://www.eleven-a-side.com/bohemians/news.asp?n=36476

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MeathDrog View Post
    The away section in Oriel Park needs sorting out. Probably the worst in the League.
    You obviously have never been to Jackman Park
    Only another 9 titles till Drogheda become pride of county louth!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts

I drove all the way down for a game there when we were ithe 1st (many moons ago), bloodly hell it was the worst by a mile. In parts the specators are lower than the pitch (I kid you not). :0

As for its so called covered terrace ... less said the better ... you owuld ahve been better holding a match in the local park.
    Drogheda United in this together

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Night View Post
    In terms of disapointment, Dalymount is up there, given the way the ground seems to have more value as a car park than a football stadium.

The first time I went to Dalymount was to the friendly between Ireland and France (Andy Townsends first game). The athmosphere was electric, though the game was a dour 0-0.

The stadium since then has fallen into disrepair (Jodie stand excepted), which is a terrible pity.

I'd love to see League of Ireland clubs either strike deals with builders who need the work, for affordable up to date facilities, or 'do a Rovers' and get local authorites involved in community stadiums, which have worked wonders in attracting the punters into league of ireland games in Tallaght.
    The sad fact is the revenue from the car park is keeping Dalymount going. not sure what "deals" we should do with builders (there is a limit on how many we can sell the ground to ) and as for the costs coming down - there is No money available at Bohs so unless they want to work for nothing i'm afraid thats no use either !
    Again, unfortunately, the Jodi stand is sufficent for bohs needs so the focus is on that. The "build it and they will come argument" does not stack up - Turners cross is a better ground than Tallaght and look at what happened there.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanDrog View Post

I drove all the way down for a game there when we were ithe 1st (many moons ago), bloodly hell it was the worst by a mile. In parts the specators are lower than the pitch (I kid you not). :0

As for its so called covered terrace ... less said the better ... you owuld ahve been better holding a match in the local park.
    It is the local park.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    laugh or cry ... I don't know which , I will revert ......
    Drogheda United in this together

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Best: Markets Field
    Worst: Hogan Park (Rathbane)

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Surprised at all the people saying Jackman Park is the worst ground ever. It's not even the worst Limerick ground in the last 10 years FFS! Hogan Park and Pike Rovers were both worse.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    The sad fact is the revenue from the car park is keeping Dalymount going. not sure what "deals" we should do with builders (there is a limit on how many we can sell the ground to ) and as for the costs coming down - there is No money available at Bohs so unless they want to work for nothing i'm afraid thats no use either !
    Again, unfortunately, the Jodi stand is sufficent for bohs needs so the focus is on that. The "build it and they will come argument" does not stack up - Turners cross is a better ground than Tallaght and look at what happened there.
    the bolded bits is what it boils down to.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddyfield View Post
    Best:
    Turners Cross

Worst:
    Terryland (pre 1993)
    Ahhh, Terryland pre-93, those were the days.

Best: Turner's Cross (although Buckley Park was/is a gem)
    Worst: Newcastle[west] United

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Raheen View Post
    Ahhh, Terryland pre-93, those were the days.

Best: Turner's Cross (although Buckley Park was/is a gem)
    Worst: Newcastle[west] United
    why wot was the difference between terryland today and pre 93 raheen?
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Best - Turners Cross / Tallaght

Worst- Bishopstown / St Mels Pk
    "Garlic bread - it’s the future, I’ve tasted it."
    Brian Potter - Phoenix Nights

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    why wot was the difference between terryland today and pre 93 raheen?
    it was closed for 2 seasons 93-95,pitch was turned 180 degrees and totaly rebuilt was a kip with wooden portocabins as dressingrooms then

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shep View Post
    You obviously have never been to Jackman Park
    No I've heard it's bad, but it was the first time in about 5 years that I had been to the away section in Oriel last Sunday and the away area has actually worsened.
    You've got no fans.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    This is a typical League of Ireland Attitude though with all due respect Marino. What about the money that Bohs have spent on assembling the massive squad you've got? Okay, in Boh's case there would be no point as Dalymount will be sold as soon as the market has recovered (whenever that might be), but why are clubs not being forced to upgrade their facilities? A few grand put away each year for five years would put a roof on the away section at Oriel, rather on flitting it away on Darren Mansaram's wages all the time. You have to give spectators a bit more than standing out in the elements for God's sake. And I know Dundalk fans will say that you don't have to stand in that section. Well that doesn't cut it for me and it shouldn't cut it full stop. The Jinks stand in the Showgrounds is pretty bad as well if I'm honest. Most clubs have serious work that could be carried out but that's another thread.
    Also, the problem at Cork was never really the crowds that they were getting in, it was a pile of other stuff as we all know now.
    PS: They built it in Tallaght and they did come.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    does anyone remember (because im sure i do) when the FAI about 10-12 years ago were issuing grants for ground improvement through the Government but they were stopped after certain clubs misappropriated the funds. I believe we were due to receive around 150k but it never came through because of it. Anyone else remember something like this or am i way off?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dong View Post
    This is a typical League of Ireland Attitude though with all due respect Marino. What about the money that Bohs have spent on assembling the massive squad you've got? Okay, in Boh's case there would be no point as Dalymount will be sold as soon as the market has recovered (whenever that might be), but why are clubs not being forced to upgrade their facilities?

A few grand put away each year for five years would put a roof on the away section at Oriel, rather on flitting it away on Darren Mansaram's wages all the time. You have to give spectators a bit more than standing out in the elements for God's sake. And I know Dundalk fans will say that you don't have to stand in that section. Well that doesn't cut it for me and it shouldn't cut it full stop. The Jinks stand in the Showgrounds is pretty bad as well if I'm honest. Most clubs have serious work that could be carried out but that's another thread.
    Also, the problem at Cork was never really the crowds that they were getting in, it was a pile of other stuff as we all know now.
    PS: They built it in Tallaght and they did come.
    I think you're seriously underestimating the cost of building/renovating a stadium. The Jodi Stand cost 1.1 million pounds (EUR1.4 million) to rebuild back in 1999. They didn't even have to rebuild the stand from scratch either, as the bars, dressing rooms etc from the original stand were retained. When you factor in inflation since 1999, you'd be looking at close to EUR2 million to do a similar job now. Most LOI grounds need far more work than that, so they would need literally millions put into them to make them half decent. A few grand each year for five years would barely cover the cost of essential day to day maintenance, there's no way it would pay for any kind of upgrade.

Since you use Tallaght as an example - it cost EUR11.2 million, and it took 9 years and a takeover by a council before it got to a stage where it could be used!! And it's still not exactly a world class stadium either (it's among the best in the LOI, but that really isn't saying much). That kind of money is just way beyond any LOI club, even if they cut their wage bills to the bare minimum. The only prospect of most clubs getting a decent stadium is if new publicly funded stadia are built. It's easy to knock LOI clubs for the poor standard of stadia, but the reality is just like more or less everything else in Ireland, there is no public investment in facilities, and that's the real root cause of the problems. In nearly every other country in the world, most sports stadia are paid for by the taxpayer as they are seen as community assets. Not in Ireland though, everyone here just expects facilities to appear for free.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast