www.soccercentral.ie
Preview - Longford Town V Bohemians
by Stephen Moore

Ex Bohs striker Paul Keegan signed for Town in the close season.
Saturday night sees FAI Cup holders Longford entertain and Bohs side whose thoughts are solely fixed on reclaiming the eircom League Premier Division title and after fireworks in each of the fixtures between these sides last year, the stage seems set for the league season to start with a bang.

The four league meetings between these two sides last season produced twelve goals and four sendings off. Both Alan Matthews and Stephen Kenny will be hoping for a higher standard of discipline as the curtain comes up on a much-anticipated season.

A fierce rivalry has developed between these two sides over recent years, beginning with Bohs FAI Cup Final victory in 2001. Add to that Stephen Kenny’s departure from Longford to take over the reins at Dalymount Park, and a number of on the field melees in ensuing matches, and the scene is set for a night of drama, passion and entertainment in the midlands.

Longford will more than likely give Paul Keegan his competitive debut after snapping up the ex-Bohs man on a free transfer when his contract elapsed in the close season.

Keegan will undoubtedly be keen to make his mark for his new employers with immediate effect. And with Sean Francis looking better and better as each season goes by, Longford should not be found wanting going forward this season.

Many pundits and players alike have been predicting big things for Alan Matthews side this year, and unquestionably Longford have gained the respect of those involved with the eL, and now find themselves a step or two further up the pecking order in theory at least.

Bohs will look to strike hard and fast this season, after taking an abysmal 13 points from the first possible thirty last year. It was debateably that poor run of form early season that ultimately cost Bohs the Premier Division title last year and they will be in no mood for a repeat performance.

Midfield maestro and Bohs captain Kevin Hunt said “I don’t remember exactly what the statistics were, but our start last year was awful. We certainly don’t intend to be that slow out of the blocks again. We have to prove to ourselves and more importantly to our fans that we are the best club in the country. And I do believe that we are”.

Hunt also believes that Bohs will reap the rewards of their tough pre-season training with immediate effect, “ We have had a good hard work out, and we are all back in shape. It’s just a case of wanting to get on with it now, we have been a long time away from competitive football and it only makes you more hungry. Longford are no mugs, but we will be going there looking for all three points”.

Bohs look set to give competitive debuts to their two new signings. Both James Keddy and Tony Grant have been brought from Dublin rivals Shamrock Rovers. Keddy may well start on the left of midfield, as Dave Morrison is sidelined through injury. And Grant may start up front partnering Republic of Ireland international Glen Crowe.

After weeks of speculation and conjecture Tony Grant would be forgiven for being relived just gotten have the move over with. However Grant feels that the transition has been an easy one, “It really wasn’t as hard as people might think to come in to the squad. I had played with a couple of the lads before, but I knew the rest of the lads from playing against them. You have respect for good players as a footballer, and they were all very welcoming as well. Myself and James are getting on fine and we no complaints we are both Bohs players now, full stop.”

Grant acknowledges the fact that he is not going to be an automatic selection for the Gypsies this year. “There is a lot of competition for places, obviously Robbie will be there and also Stephen Ward is a great young talent, but I do feel I can contribute to the side and hope to do so this year.”

So the scene is set, and all eL fans will be eagerly anticipating the big kick-off. If recent years have been anything to go by, they will not be disappointed this season. The standard of football moves ever onward and upward.