Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shamrock Rovers v Bohemians at the Aviva Stadium?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts

Shamrock Rovers v Bohemians at the Aviva Stadium?

Any chance that this might happen?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Are you just throwing the suggestion out there or did the FAI/clubs mention it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ped_ped View Post
    Are you just throwing the suggestion out there or did the FAI/clubs mention it?
    I read something about it on the Bohs forum. People there reckoned it had been mentioned in the papers and that Delaney had said it was a runner.
    Could have been a wind up though.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    423 Posts
    It was on the back page of the Metro AM, or whaterver the free morning paper is called these days, yesterday. The Rovers home fixture v Bohs is scheduled for the same weekend Landsdowne is due to re-open. It may well be pure speculation but it would make sense that the FAI sould want a dry run in the stadium with a managable crowd before the first big international.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    ya would think they would arrange a more non hostile match first and see how security etc will be planned for a big game like that......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    It's a Rovers home game, so as long as Bohs get no money out of it, i'd be in favour of it.

Let Rovers get as much as they'd get from a full house in Tallaght and the FAI take the rest.

Could be a great day out and might even become an annual fixture like what happens with the derby games in Stockholm, that's if Bohs dont implode when Zurich come looking for their loan to be repaid ...

bhs

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i think the first domestic game in the AVIVA should be the cup final. I'd expect shamrock rovers would want to play bohs in their own ground instead of giving up home advantage. Could be the difference between winning the league come the end of the season. Delaney definitely wants some sort of dry run in there beforehand.
    "Excuses are the nails used to build a house of failure"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Last night's Herald says it will.

Any stadium will have some games with smaller capacities to test the official opening. Thomond Park saw an underage Munster v Ulster as the opening game. Cape Town's new World Cup stadium has seen a football match and a rugby match already with limited capacity.

An LoI match makes sense from this perspective but not sure re Rovers v Bohs. Something like Rovers v UCD or Rovers v Pats in July might be a better bet to iron out any issues.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    Last night's Herald says it will.

Any stadium will have some games with smaller capacities to test the official opening. Thomond Park saw an underage Munster v Ulster as the opening game. Cape Town's new World Cup stadium has seen a football match and a rugby match already with limited capacity.

An LoI match makes sense from this perspective but not sure re Rovers v Bohs. Something like Rovers v UCD or Rovers v Pats in July might be a better bet to iron out any issues.
    Rovers v UCD would be waste of time & an excellent marketing opportunity. This could be a great advert for the LOI. Two best sides in the league in the first game of the new stadium. With some decent promotions could easy get an attendance of 20,000. The Gardai could get a trial run for stadium security by dealing with the moronic elements from both clubs and the FAI could give a percentage of the gate receipts to every club.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    It would have the potential to be an absolute disaster for the league - I have zero faith in the cops to police the hoolies from both sides.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    in today paper( the sun I think) it said this may not be feasible if any of the two clubs progress a futher round in europe and guess what this is scheduled for the exact same weekend of this proposed game in aviva..
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I've heard that a match will be played in the Aviva Stadium as part of Dublin City's reign as European Capital of Sport 2010.

http://www.dublincity.ie/RECREATIONA...inSportie.aspx

Because it's tied into Dublin City Council, Rovers (SDCC), UCD (DL&R) and Fingal (Fingal) will not be involved - which leaves Bohs, Pats & Shels.

If it's an League of Ireland Premier Division game then obviously it would be Pats Vs Bohs?
    A transient, horrible, fantastic dream,
    Wherein is nothing yet all things do seem:
    From which we're wakened by a friendly nudge
    Of our bedfellow Death, and cry: "O fudge!"

Ambrose Bierce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    I'd probably go along to watch regarless of who was playing - provided it were an LOI tie and didn't calsh with a Bray match.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I think it would be huge. A lot of barstoolers and other LOI fans would go just for the event.

The hooligans thing wouldn't be an issue. I went to a Milwall v Leyton Orient match and I can honestly say it was a truly terrifying experience. I have never witnessed that level of sheer visceral intense hatred at any Bohs - Rovers derby. What we have is mostly play acting hooligans - what they have over there is the real thing and it is not plesant by any mean.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buile Shuibhne View Post
    I've heard that a match will be played in the Aviva Stadium as part of Dublin City's reign as European Capital of Sport 2010.

Because it's tied into Dublin City Council, Rovers (SDCC), UCD (DL&R) and Fingal (Fingal) will not be involved - which leaves Bohs, Pats & Shels.

If it's an League of Ireland Premier Division game then obviously it would be Pats Vs Bohs?
    I could live with that...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomofman View Post
    I could live with that...
    same. It would be ideal actually. Pats and Bohs get on pretty well and it wouldnt attract the same level of Rovers and Bohs cretins out to cause trouble.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    same. It would be ideal actually. Pats and Bohs get on pretty well and it wouldnt attract the same level of Rovers and Bohs cretins out to cause trouble.
    True.. I think occasionally our little scummer contingents cause a little trouble at the games.. But at least I feel comfortable walking out of a Bohs Pats game... unlike some (one) clubs

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buile Shuibhne View Post

Wicklow County Council surely?

Sorry!
    Still think a Bohs v Shams game would be more attractive. No disrespect to Pats or Shels intended.
    Christ, I'm managing to insult every Dublin club in one post which, to be fair is, almost the entire league at this stage!
    Sorry again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dong View Post
    Wicklow County Council surely?
    Sorry!
    Still think a Bohs v Shams game would be more attractive. No disrespect to Pats or Shels intended.
    Christ, I'm managing to insult every Dublin club in one post which, to be fair is, almost the entire league at this stage!
    Sorry again!
    lol

Quote Originally Posted by neutrino View Post
    i think the first domestic game in the AVIVA should be the cup final. I'd expect shamrock rovers would want to play bohs in their own ground instead of giving up home advantage. Could be the difference between winning the league come the end of the season. Delaney definitely wants some sort of dry run in there beforehand.
    i agree, altho it would be good to see one of our club play there, i think it should be only for league cup or fai cup final, there is something about travelling to a national stadium to watch your club play, i think that will be all lost if we were to have regular league games there

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    True but there's no suggestion of having regular games. Just a one of game which can only do good for the league as I see it.
    "If you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime,"
    “Crikey, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea,"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast