Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New political party needed?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts

New political party needed?

With today's Sunday Independent poll revealing that two-thirds of voters are opposed to NAMA, that only Eamon Gilmore enjoys a higher satisfaction than dissatisfaction rating and that 27% of respondents want George Lee to form his own party, it seems that if a new political party was formed, it would attract a degree of support at the next election. Maybe Ireland needs a group like the UK's Lib Dems, that would be centre-left on social issues but centre-right on economics, promoting reform and entrepreneurship.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    Maybe Ireland needs a group like the UK's Lib Dems, that would be centre-left on social issues but centre-right on economics, promoting reform and entrepreneurship.
    Like the PDs?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82
    Maybe Ireland needs a group like the UK's Lib Dems, that would be centre-left on social issues but centre-right on economics, promoting reform and entrepreneurship.
    The Lib Dems are an irrelevance really. The only thing they're known for is their Euro-phile policies. In the UK, there are 2 serious parties, the others don't matter.

We have a multi-party democracy, but basically they can be put into two groups. Sinn Fein in one, and the rest in the other.

If you have time for a laugh today, you can watch Mary Coughlan talking bull on BBC News' Hardtalk for 25 minutes.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    The Lib Dems are an irrelevance really. The only thing they're known for is their Euro-phile policies. In the UK, there are 2 serious parties, the others don't matter.

We have a multi-party democracy, but basically they can be put into two groups. Sinn Fein in one, and the rest in the other.

If you have time for a laugh today, you can watch Mary Coughlan talking bull on BBC News' Hardtalk for 25 minutes.
    If they are irrelevant, and I don't believe they are, its only because the UK has a 'first past the post' electoral system.

They have polled between 15 and 23% consistently and in by-elections have consistently polled over 30% (recent polls have been poorest in a decade). Or put it another way, they get 200% to 300% Sinn Fein's share of the vote, and outpoll every Irish party combined except FF and FG.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Poor Student View Post
    Like the PDs?
    That'd be my thoughts, and we've only just managed to kill them as pay back for the damage they've done to the economy and society.

tbh, it sounds like what an FG-Labour coalition would be like, and was in the past. Socially, obviously Labour are liberal, but even using what is an admittedly very conservative benchmark FG are much more socialy liberal than FF. If failed right wing policies are your thing, I would've thought FG policies would float your boat.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    If they are irrelevant, and I don't believe they are, its only because the UK has a 'first past the post' electoral system.
    I wonder how far Brown will get with AV...

I was a big fan of the Lib Dems - a member, actually - until Kennedy was shafted and Ming took over. I have even less interest in them under Clegg, but even an Irish equivalent under a Clegg-type would be bettter than any of the current parties. So they'd have my vote.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    None of the parties seem to have the motivation to change the system - tend to usually vote Labour as the least conservative option, but since Spring retired, they haven't really stood for anything. We only need around 100 TD's and to give more powers to local councils, but no-one currently elected is likely to risktheir own seats to make radical changes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    How is that a "new political party"?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ravin mad looney party - the only problem is there policys would be sensible

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    While I would personally vote for a new party (if they had a decent platform and outlook) I cannot see one take any major role in Irish politics. Control of the media is firmly in FF's hands especially the ones that matter (RTE and Indo - as shown by the stitch up job done on Enda Kenny and FG last week) while it would take a heap of money to get anything done. I tended to vote Green or Independent first as they'd always be the first one eliminated, but after hearing Gormley and co rubbish and downplay the Chernobyl disaster I hope they go for pizza with Putin.

The only way a new movement in Irish politics could take hold is if Irish students (3rd level) put aside partylines and went for it themselves, for a couple of elections they'd struggle, but within 10 years they'd have some sort of stake in government, especially local.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    France, Italy and Holland have shown that when people become disillusioned with the current parties, they start drifting towards the far-right, so if there are no new ideas, there's the danger of Ganley or someone similar emerging to fill the void. As for the post earlier, I'd just planned to stay out of the debate until I was asked to give a difference from the PD's and it was just easier to throw out one suggestion than overloading a post with four or five ideas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    If Dave McWilliams and George Lee start a Pirate Party tomorrrow, I'll join without reading their manifesto.

Seriously though, if you want to pick up the slack, that's what you have to do. The older voters won't move without a push, so you need to hook up with the younger voters and get traction through them. Previous attempts to "hipify" politics in Ireland are embarassing at best; you need an actual platform that appeals to them, and something like the Pirate Parties is the only thing that'll work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Just want to say love the CA section, in particular the politic topics. I wouldn't be able to articulate what I would like to see in a party, nor arrogant enough to think I know enough either, but some of you guys really do know you're stuff, and its brilliant to read.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    If Dave McWilliams and George Lee start a Pirate Party tomorrrow, I'll join without reading their manifesto.
    I would vote for any party whose candidate looked like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amelia_Andersdotter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    I would vote for any party whose candidate looked like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amelia_Andersdotter
    Into Paul Young type mullets then eh?

Doesn't look especially Swedish -more like she's from the dismal side of the Iron Curtain.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    Into Paul Young type mullets then eh?

Doesn't look especially Swedish -more like she's from the dismal side of the Iron Curtain.
    I was raised on a diet of 1980s cheese films, and it's scarred me permanently!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    I think I'd read the manifesto first, but yeah, they'd certainly get my attention. The Pirate Party in Sweden is the first credible political alternative I've seen in a while which wasn't founded on racism.

I didn't know anyone had set one up here, but it seems they do exist: http://pirateparty.ie/ They're using the right words, but if I'd never heard of them until now, they've a long way to go before they're even running candidates.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Yeah, but its a bit too single issue for me. I accept there's more to it than just one issue, but I couldn't see it taking off in Ireland.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Yeah, but its a bit too single issue for me. I accept there's more to it than just one issue, but I couldn't see it taking off in Ireland.
    It depends on the issue. The bulk of the anarchy movement is based on whiney 15-25 year olds who want to smoke hash, and think the entire state should be reorganised to facilitate them. And then, of course, there's Sinn Féin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    711 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...264553506.html
    People here will be interested when it begins to affect them. You get a room of people under thirty and ask for a show of hands: how many of them have never downloaded a song, film or other file in breach of copyright, and you'll get nothing but full pockets. The law and people's morality are out of step, and it will come to a head sooner or later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast