Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Lack of initiative shown by League

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BYCTWD View Post
    Sweet mother of God, please tell me you are joking?

GAA league crowds are worse than footballs and their attendences were well down this summer. Why copy their model?
    Wrong on both counts.
    Revenue was down this summer, attendances weren't.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I never said anything about adopting the GAA model anyway. What I meant was to try and get supporters thinking the same way from a passion perspective and try and develop more die-hard support.

New Signing
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Hi all,
    Long time lurker first time poster. finding hard to keep up with the league now that i'm living in england.
    I think the biggest problem are the bar stool brigade will never go to games because they are too busy supporting English clubs. No matter how much money the fai put into advertising I think the mainstream "west of england" media at home will still have no interest in covering our league. The indo recently did a "irish" football calendar for 2010 - this consisted of the EPL, FA cup and european fixtures. No mention of when the league was even starting. Sure why would anyone care when you cant sit and watch it in superduper Hi-def fat **** 3d on sky sports.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flanno7hi View Post
    Hi all,
    Long time lurker first time poster. finding hard to keep up with the league now that i'm living in england.
    I think the biggest problem are the bar stool brigade will never go to games because they are too busy supporting English clubs. No matter how much money the fai put into advertising I think the mainstream "west of england" media at home will still have no interest in covering our league. The indo recently did a "irish" football calendar for 2010 - this consisted of the EPL, FA cup and european fixtures. No mention of when the league was even starting. Sure why would anyone care when you cant sit and watch it in superduper Hi-def fat **** 3d on sky sports.
    Alot of small countries have major leagues next door but continue to bring in decent crowds, keep good players at home, have decent stadia and compete in Europe. Austria, Switzerland, Belgium to name just a few. In each the community role of clubs is pushed, as is interaction with local government, long term planning and decent facilities. Clubs become attractive for investment because they are useful for a) business and b) politics. Apart from Rovers, what other club would be attractive for politicians (leave off on SF) in Ireland? Not many. In Ireland we are more British than the British themselves and in thrall to their achievements, this won't change with our eastern facing media who ape everything that is bad in the media there. The yoke of colonialism is only a partial excuse, the league and clubs have to accept at least 50% of the blame, and the FAI 20%.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeSoap View Post
    I work in advertising and therefore are probably more aware of where adverts are placed than others might be. I find it quite ironic that this site now boasts a rather large noticeable advert from Allianz advertsising its forthcoming sponsorship of its league campaigns. I wonder if the FAI were approached to do something similar for the league? And if so, what its response was.

This is in no way a criticism of the site for getting advertising revenue from the GAA, I applaud it. But surely this sends a message to the LOI and surely tells them that they need to be more proactive, especially now in times of dwindling attendances.
    Say it aint so,joe

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567