Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Rugby Union 2010

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I'm not sure what to think of our performances this year. On the one hand, you could look at the results and say a probable Triple Crown next week, so the end justifies the means and its another successful year.

But if you look a bit closer the story isn't as positive IMO. Firstly, the only halfway decent opposition we faced was France, and they beat us at a canter. Italy, Scotland, England and Wales are really poor sides and if getting to a World Cup semi-final is our aim, its not these sides that we'll need to beat.

In terms of our play, we're making too many tackles (twice as many as the opposition for the second match in succession), aimlessly kicking too much possession away and showing no improvement in the scrum.

We are still a potent side with a great lineout, backrow and good pace, but we really need to see a big step up to compete on the Summer Tour.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    779 Posts
    Agree with the above. If we give away that much possession (as we did in the English game), better teams will crucify us. The scrum is also a serious issue but enjoy the victories. Triple Crowns don't come round that often so let's concentrate on the Scottish game and try and win that before looking too far ahead.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I'd say its safe to assume that we will win the crown again and finish a respectable second behind an awesome French side that will make a serious challenge for the World Cup if they continue to progress as they have been.

The Summer tour down under is vital to the World Cup next year. It is vital that we look at Earls as a 13 for this, with Drico as 12 inside. Luke Fitzgerald will slot nicely on the left wing. Once Sexton improves his place kicking with Tainton he'll be fine. If he doesn't, he'll have to go. Good and all as a footballer he is, we can't carry any out half who cant kick his goals. Tight head prop will be a problem, so working on Buckley over the Summer and Autumn internationals is vital, as he seems to be the future in that position.

All in all, things look good.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    The fact that absolutely no one is giving the Scots a chance today is making me a little nervous. We should beat them, but they are awkward customers and if our men believe too much of their own press it could all go horribly wrong.

I'll probably be in work and will miss it anyway though
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Well then.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Well done Scotland. They wanted it more, right from the whistle and they beat us comprehensively in EVERY facet of the game.

In one way this is a blessing as we've flattered to deceive all tournament IMO.

Kaplan was a joke, but I don't think he helped either side in the end. Unless the IRB sort out the scrum the game is in danger of dying. It's unacceptable in any form of entertainment that 99% of spectators consistently don't understand the rationale for a referee's decision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeSoap View Post
    I'd say its safe to assume that we will win the crown again and finish a respectable second behind an awesome French side that will make a serious challenge for the World Cup if they continue to progress as they have been.

The Summer tour down under is vital to the World Cup next year. It is vital that we look at Earls as a 13 for this, with Drico as 12 inside. Luke Fitzgerald will slot nicely on the left wing. Once Sexton improves his place kicking with Tainton he'll be fine. If he doesn't, he'll have to go. Good and all as a footballer he is, we can't carry any out half who cant kick his goals. Tight head prop will be a problem, so working on Buckley over the Summer and Autumn internationals is vital, as he seems to be the future in that position.

All in all, things look good.
    whoops looks like you were getting ahead of yourself.. ireland may have the better players but they were lacking heart & passion today to match scotland

" football is a simple game "

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    Well done Scotland. They wanted it more, right from the whistle and they beat us comprehensively in EVERY facet of the game.

In one way this is a blessing as we've flattered to deceive all tournament IMO.

Kaplan was a joke, but I don't think he helped either side in the end. Unless the IRB sort out the scrum the game is in danger of dying. It's unacceptable in any form of entertainment that 99% of spectators consistently don't understand the rationale for a referee's decision.
    Don't think that's fair on Ireland, Scotland were (worringly) much more organised and denied us space but we made 2 good trys and almost a 3rd but for a close call on a knock-on (I haven't seen it back yet so not sure on the call)
    They targetted the line out but despite being consisently warned about closing the gap Kaplan never punished them, he has no idea how to ref a scrum, never did when he doesn't know he blows and seems to punish the wrong team. Admitedly it's a tricky one yo call right all the time but he's been the most inconsistent ref at the scrum for years.
    The breakdown was a joke, the laws seemed to change during the game, I got the feelig the Ireland were afraid to contest ball because he was punishing everything, Scotland just didn't bother contesting and sprayed 12/13 accross the park and defended for their lives.
    "Your guilty conscience may move you to vote Democratic, but deep down you long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king"
    Sideshow Bob

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by endabob1 View Post
    we made 2 good trys.
    Watch them again. Two suspect tries.
    They targetted the line out but despite being consisently warned about closing the gap Kaplan never punished them,.
    Scotland had the best lineout stats in the tournament coming into the game.
    he has no idea how to ref a scrum, never did when he doesn't know he blows and seems to punish the wrong team. Admitedly it's a tricky one yo call right all the time but he's been the most inconsistent ref at the scrum for years..
    He's completely inconsistent, but what is consistent is that Hayes has taken it down multiple times in every match. Healy too has been under a lot of pressure.
    The breakdown was a joke, the laws seemed to change during the game, I got the feelig the Ireland were afraid to contest ball because he was punishing everything, Scotland just didn't bother contesting and sprayed 12/13 accross the park and defended for their lives.
    There's no doubt we sat back at the breakdown and there was one shocking decision given against O'Connell, which couldn't have been the new interpretation of the tackle and release rule as he wasn't the tackler, was on his feet and came straight through the gate to steal.

That said yesterday's game wasn't decided at the breakdown. We missed more tackles than we've done in a long time (sliding down tackles, allowing huge gains by failing to bring players down after the initial tackle like for the Scots try and flat out missing them). Add that to woeful kicking, lineout and scrum and a lot of unforced errors in possession (spilling balls and misplaced passes).

The best team on the day won and it would've been a travesty had we gotten anything out of that match.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I think complacency and a bit of overconfidence had a part to play in that woeful performance.

We've been suspect all tournament when it came to scrum time but when our lineout falls apart then we're going to struggle. Hopefully it's a wake up call. We must have also given away the most penalties in the 6N.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Kidney, O'Connell , O'Gara, O'Driscoll , O'Callaghan , Hayes , Sexton , O'Leary , Darcy, Earls , Bowe , Jack Charlton , Keano , Robbie , Ruby Walsh , Harrington, McIlroy, Bertie , Cowan , De Valera , Bono...... the whole Irish Nation... YOUR BOYS JUST GOT A HELL OF A BEATING

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Seems to me they're attempting to make it rugby league with lineouts... Nonsense rule changes anyway, but to introduce them mid tournament was ridiculous. No excuse for the perfomance though. Can they not leave the bloody game alone, without messing. If they can't get the elv's passed, they start back door changes with "interpretations".

The scrum's been a long running issue for Ireland, but seems to have been totally found out this tournament. I'd be more worried about the lineout tbh. And even if Flannery is better at the lineout, Best is considered the better scrummager so even that isn't necessarily the ideal solution. Did I hear right that Leo Cullen still has the best line out stats of the tournament?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    what did people think of the game last Friday good result for Leinster but can still problems on Friday night? Munster qf looks tough enough as well Northampton playing some very good rugby at the moment should both be good games
    And Miles To Go Before We Sleep

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I think both Irish sides are in considerable danger of going out.

Leinster have improved their defence incredibly over the past couple of seasons and now are not getting as easily intimidated as they did. The yellow streak has been removed. But, this Clermont side is a serious unit all over the park and Sextons kicking average of 61% since the 6 Nations began will haunt them Friday night unless it seriously improves. If he brings his kicking game they win, but I have my doubts as to his temperament that I've expressed here before, and have a sneaky feeling Clermont will do it.

Munsters match day squad will include at least a dozen guys over the age of 30. It seems to be beginning to show lately. There is serious doubts as to the fitness of O'Connell, and Munsters back row hasn't functioned as a unit without Leamy. Wallace is a top class 7, but not a very good 8. Northamptons front row will cause us problems, thats a gimme, and if you cast your mind back to the first group game, the main reason Munster won was because of Geraghtys nerves and ineptness. They will have learned from this, and are in much better form than Munster.

My heart tells me wins for both Munster and Leinster, but my tenner says a double on Clermont and Northampton (just in case...)

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeSoap View Post
    If he brings his kicking game they win, but I have my doubts as to his temperament that I've expressed here before, and have a sneaky feeling Clermont will do it.
    I'm not so sure it's temperament - he's nailed some kicks when under serious pressure, straight off the bench in the HC semi last year, and during the scotland game when ROG was waiting to come on come to mind. But I'd agree, whatever the reason he needs to bring up his percentages in what will probably be a close game.

The money seems to be on both Irish games being within a score, but I wouldn't be that surprised if there was a run away winner in one of them, but it could be any of the 4 teams!
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Sexton did the business for Leinster and his kicking was very good with 7 kicks out of 8 made. This won the game for Leinster, who were outplayed for most of the contest by Clermont. Unfortunately he had to have surgery on his jaw yesterday and is a major doubt for the semi now. I'd imagine Brock James was the toast of Donnybrook on Friday night, what with his 5 misses and 2 glaringly easy drop goal chances at the end.

Munster weren't much better for most of the game against Northampton, but O'Gara had a super game and steered them home.

2 huge asks now in the semis, but if you're not in you can't win and all that... Toulouse v Munster final I think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    [QUOTE=joeSoap;1345982]
    Munster weren't much better for most of the game against Northampton, but O'Gara had a super game and steered them home.
    QUOTE]

I think you are being over critical there big time.

Munster dominated for large spells and outscored Northampton 4 tries to 1 .

People get onto Munster about the scrum but credit where its due on Saturday Munster didn't dominate by any means but stood toe to toe for the whole game and it was incredible to see Ewan Murray leaving the pitch in the 2nd half given what happenend in the group stages.

Munster have a great chance against Biarritz in the semi final - Biarritz were lucky to get past Ospreys on Saturday. Ospreys are not a great team and only a dodgy penalty decision in the end got them home. Definitely nothing to be afraid of.

Missed the leinster game but they won't fear Toulouse - but Toulouse look in great form at the moment.

Fair played to Connacht as well in the Challenge Cup - have a huge task in the semis, but a home draw - you'd never know.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I know Munster outscored them 4 tries to 1, but don't believe I'm being overly critical when I say they struggled for large parts of the game. A better, more clinical side than Northampton will use their possession more wisely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,306 Posts
    thought O'Gara's place kicking was poor, but his kicking out of hand (especially in the second half) was excellent. He constantly found touch on the far side, right by the corner flag.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    O' Gara kicking from hand won the game for Munster kept Northampton at bay in the second half. Munster may have out scored them 4 tries to 1 but as said better teams would have used there posession better than Northampton and better defense as well. Munster dominated in the scrum.

Leinster were lucky and Brock James was the toast of Leinster fans Friday nights (at least ones I was with anyway) Sexton did well and delighted he got his kicking game back but now question is will he make the semi?

Neither Irish team will have anything to fear when then go to France but I do think it may will be an all French final. Toulouse looked very impressive in their semi and in the super 14's yes Biarritz lucky to get in but Osperys are not a bad a side as some people seem to think but one game away from a final in your home country who knows should hopefully be two good games.

Fair play to Connacht would be great to see them go all the way
    And Miles To Go Before We Sleep

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast