Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Drogheda thread - budget being revised

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodquayBoy View Post
    I think you are bang on, Revenue would never comment on individual cases, so not sure the story holds too much water, unless the journo has a pal in Revenue who leaked him info
    Surely someone in Drogheda United could leak the story too?

Also, I've added a question mark in the thread title just for a bit of clarification!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    If you don't know anything about the situation then forget about posting a definitive conclusion on the issue.

I would say drogs fans are the most shocked about this - I know I am.

Seems to be cleared up so panic over.

Stadium situation is a joke but that's the league all over.

Last year we cut our cloth to suit our budget. Cork went bust almost immediately after exiting examinership having kept all of their players. That shouldn't have been allowed. We dug deep and started from scratch - only a week or two before start of season. We deserve to be in top flight - on the field matters. It's football not monopoly.

If we did breach or miss a tax bill it'll be small fry compared to Derry Cork - Bohs etc. We've learned our lesson but it's not like everything falls into place immediately - you don't get a cash binus for being wise after the fact - our club like all others will still have to fight hard for every penny we need to run the club and it looks like, for a while at least there, we migth have come up a bit short. Would still rather not have seen that story all the same.

Finally on Hoey, he's a legend, and has done tremendous things over the years. He's hands off since exiting Examinership last year so none of this his fault. A figurehead these days rather than an organiser.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    good post!
    we looked from Montrose to Swords, from swords to Montrose and from Montrose to Swords again but already it was impossible to spot UCDs right winger

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    Gotta love all the UCD brigade's jubilant comment on any financial misfortune befalling other clubs in the league.
    You could almost hear the collective groan as they came in their trousers when this thread opened up....

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    All the UCD brigade? Before this post I only see posts from pineapple stu (and one from John83 which didn't really add anything to the thread).

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    And I don't see any of us jubilant either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buile Shuibhne View Post
    Did the FAI ever carry out the requiired improvements to their ground, on which premise they gave Drogs a Prem Div licence last season?
    They don't need to carry out improvements. They've a planning application in, that'll do for the FAI!!
    Neale Fenn on retiring: 'I think once you finish you might as well finish rather than making all sorts of comebacks.'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Just returned from the clubhouse and there was no panic and no sense that anything is wrong , no more than usual . Was also told by a club offical today that the story was nonsense and all is in hand with monies owed . Meeting tonight thats been organised for a week will tell us more .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by all drogged up View Post
    We deserve to be in top flight - on the field matters. It's football not monopoly.
    I'll have to disagree with you there. The rules are in place for a reason, and all clubs will have signed a participation agreement before entering the league. If any one club breaks the rules relating to off-the-field matters, this, in my opinion, is just as serious, if not more so, than breaking the rules on the pitch.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Fair enough on Hoey, if that's what the Drogheda fans think - the optics are terrible though.

Ndrog - so is it nonsense or are they behind but it is being sorted?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Any outstanding monies owed have been paid to the revenue according to our chairman and the rest of the board at the meeting . The rest of the meeting was used to discuss fundraising for the up coming season , if we as supporters didnt know it already we certanily know now that its gonna be tight this season with all revenue being very tight with lots of supporters input being needed on match day and throughout the season . Flat broke like most other clubs .

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Have they a tax clearance cert?

Say the tax bill was only settled this week or even last week - when do Revenue issue the TCC and do clubs still have up to the end of Jan to submit it, in time for the licence application?
    A transient, horrible, fantastic dream,
    Wherein is nothing yet all things do seem:
    From which we're wakened by a friendly nudge
    Of our bedfellow Death, and cry: "O fudge!"

Ambrose Bierce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    83 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buile Shuibhne View Post
    Say the tax bill was only settled this week or even last week - when do Revenue issue the TCC and do clubs still have up to the end of Jan to submit it, in time for the licence application?
    Tax clearance of the top of my head is due with the financials on the 30th January. Revenue will issue it as soon as payment clears

Follow Us on Facebook and Twitter

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    74 Posts
    Once the original downpayment which usually has to be over 50% of the debt due is paid and an instalment arrangement is signed up for the TCC will issue immediately.

I dont know how many posters here are involved in the real world where 100's of companies in all lines of business are in the same or worse situations than el Teams like Drogheda. The simple facts are over 1/3 of firms fall behind in their tax payments now due to the extreme pressure on cashflow no matter how high or low their wage bill is.
    We are the Galway Boys Stand up and make some noise"

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Were we behind in tax payments? Its been settled before the licensing/tax cert deadline without any wind-up orders or court appearances. Seems pretty succesful to me. I'd imagine most clubs go through some sort of negotiation with the revenue from time to time, it just happened that a journo got wind of this particular exchange.
    Jamie Duffy covers more ground than Roadrunner ever did

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Success is falling behind with the revenue by over a grand a week (and getting it paid by a benefactor) when you already made a serious enemy of the taxman?
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Success is falling behind with the revenue by over a grand a week (and getting it paid by a benefactor) when you already made a serious enemy of the taxman?
    where we behind?

Some of the reaction by some posters to what turned out to be a false reported story reflects more on the posters than Drogheda Utd.

Shock Drogs had tax bill (as do all companies), Drogs clear tax bill, doom doom I tell ye.

The league and clubs are in serious pressure but many seem to be on disaster watch constantly with indignation missles ready and always armed.

For me Drogs are very refreshing this year as we seem to be going forward together with everyone aware of the facts. We scrapped by last season (major feat), now we are planning (together) for a new season and we all know we need to raise another 100k to break even, so all hands are at the pumps. If we succeed (and it wont be for lack of effort), we will break even - how many clubs will be able to claim this?)

1. We have supporters on the board
    2. We have 270 (give or take) members of a Claret and Blue Club giving a 5e each per week (growing, slowly but growing)
    3. We have a Last Drog Standing just kicking off, 77 members and plans to grow it
    4. Formation of new committees for match day programmes, fundraising, match day etc (all supporter based)
    5. We have close club supporter comunication (by default as the suppoers are now heavily involved)
    6. We know the reality of the finacial challange which allows us to tackle it, rather than hiding it from the supporters and allowing he problem get out of hand

Compare this with 2 seasons ago.

Now it is and will remain a struggle but we are alive and we are fighting but is there credit for this - not a chance, some would rather try to jump in wth 2 feet at the drop of a hat.

C'est la vie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ndrog View Post
    Any outstanding monies owed have been paid to the revenue according to our chairman and the rest of the board at the meeting . The rest of the meeting was used to discuss fundraising for the up coming season , if we as supporters didnt know it already we certanily know now that its gonna be tight this season with all revenue being very tight with lots of supporters input being needed on match day and throughout the season . Flat broke like most other clubs .
    Isn't it time to close this thread or as in the case of the Cork City and Derry City threads at least change the title to reflect an accurate current position?. I know the original post was in relation to the published article in the press but that story appears to have been unfounded and sensationalist as ever. I've just read the last few posts further to ndrog's comments after the meeting at the club and as said afterward the story is unfounded.

The negative press attached to this league grows and grows every season and much of it sadly is merited with more and more clubs cliff hanging every single season. In this case this negative story is a non-starter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chatterbox View Post
    it just happened that a journo got wind of this particular exchange.
    No he didn't - he was deliberately fed a completely false story and went ahead and printed it without getting any verification from the club or the revenue.
    The club also know who the story originated from and it will be legal action if it continues. I'll take any story from the daily mail with a large bag of salt from now on (all clubs stories) and certain journalists in general.
    Hunky Dorys Park - could be worse, we could be going to Old Trafford every other week

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanDrog View Post
    we all know we need to raise another 100k to break even, so all hands are at the pumps. If we succeed (and it wont be for lack of effort), we will break even - how many clubs will be able to claim this?)
    Couldn't you just take €100,000 of the budget and then break even anyway?
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast