Thread: Overview

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Overview

Hi,

Since several years I´m following the LOI quite closely with almost every season visiting several matches.
    Getting information about it here in Holland is really hard and especially since last season as there seem to have happend so many things...

So, some of my main questions are:
    - What happened to Derry City and what's going to happen to them? For example, where do they play next season?
    - Same for Cork City?
    - Same for Kildare County?
    - Which teams will form the Premier -, First Division and A Championship next season?
    - Will there be three Galway teams in the league next season, and if so, at which venues are they going play?
    - Will the Setanta Cup go on as planned?
    - Finally, a bit offtopic, when will the first match at the new Aviva stadium be played?

Anyone who can give me some answers on these questions in a nutshell?

Excuse my ignorance and thanks in advance .

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Knoert View Post
    Hi,

Since several years I´m following the LOI quite closely with almost every season visiting several matches.
    Getting information about it here in Holland is really hard and especially since last season as there seem to have happend so many things...

- What happened to Derry City and what's going to happen to them? For example, where do they play next season? They were thrown out for operating dual contracts with players, ie non declaring of wages, there may be a newly formed club from Derry perating in either the 1st division or A league but nothing confirmed yet
    - Same for Cork City? They are in limbo with massive finacial problems, the owner has been charged with bringing the game into disrepute, they need to find c€300k before the end of the month to pay old debts if they are to have any chance of geting a license to play for next season
    - Same for Kildare County? Gone into liquidation - will not be back
    - Which teams will form the Premier -, First Division and A Championship next season? Very unclear at the moment
    - Will there be three Galway teams in the league next season, and if so, at which venues are they going play? Possibly Mervue and Salthill Devon
    - Will the Setanta Cup go on as planned? Unlikely as Linfield have pulled out
    - Finally, a bit offtopic, when will the first match at the new Aviva stadium be played? 11th August V Argentina is the first soccer match and the first rugby match is currently 7th August between a Leinster / Ulster selection and a Munster / Conaught Selection

You're welcome and have a good knowledge of Irish football, better than a lot of our armchair fans
    Fair Play died Nov 18th 2009, Stade Francais.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Hi,

- What happened to Derry City and what's going to happen to them? For example, where do they play next season?
    - Same for Cork City?
    - Which teams will form the Premier -, First Division and A Championship next season?
    - Will there be three Galway teams in the league next season, and if so, at which venues are they going play?
    - Finally, a bit offtopic, when will the first match at the new Aviva stadium be played?

Why have you just quoted Jim's post history?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thischarmingman View Post
    Why have you just quoted Jim's post history?
    I don't see anything in there about the number of throw-ins taken by left handed EMFA players from the right hand side of the pitch at the Showgrounds in League Cup games taking place during leap years, and in a month whose name has a number of letters divisible by three. (Although I'm willing to bet that it's zero!)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Hi,

- Same for Cork City?

This one is a long,long story.You could be here all night talking about the problems at City , Which is why there is over a 90 page thread on the topic.
    http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=121515

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Welcome our dutch friend to the soap opera that is the league of ireland, i can tell you derry city will be back bigger and stronger than ever and play by the rules this time. We broke them before and deserved to be punished but there are decent honourable people in charge of our club now and past crimes will not be repeated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Hi,

- Same for Cork City?

In a nutshell you say?

1- Wellvan Ltd - The Brandywell in the 1st Division
    2 - Tom Coughlan and God knows
    3 - No-one left
    4 - Take a guess and post it to the FAI
    5 - yes and Terryland park
    6 - doubt it
    7 - not interested

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Linfield.

When did Linfield pull out of the Setanta cup?
    All i will say to you Knoert is welcome, pull up a chair, expect the unexpected and finally dont believe everything you read here.

garyderry
    Quote Originally Posted by eamo1 View Post
    When did Linfield pull out of the Setanta cup?
    All i will say to you Knoert is welcome, pull up a chair, expect the unexpected and finally dont believe everything you read here.
    They have officially pulled out yet, but have made it very clear they wont be playing any form of Derry team in it, (which is probably fair enough that we shouldnt be in it), although should not be up to Linfield to dictate who should be allowed to play, that should be up to the organising committee.

Most seem see this as a smoke screen and just an excuse for Linfield to pull out, and allow the cup to die away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I was interested to note that all the respondees (prior to myself), many of whom have welcomed him, have been members of the forum at best just under two years less than Knoert.

A quick look at his prior posts show that after a flurry of activity in his first year, he went quiet for a couple, but since 2007 he has been popping up a couple of times annually to keep in touch with what is going on.

Some of us on here post a lot, but there are a hell of a lot of people who keep in comparatively tacit contact with Ireland, or Irish football, following what goes on in varying frequencies of regularity, occasionally asking the odd question.

So, in complement to the current "Fave foot.ie poster" thread, I think we should celebrate the Knoerts of the site. I say, not so much "welcome" Knoert, as I know you to be a regular and know your way around, so to speak. "Welcome back" could be seen as similarly condescending, as you have "Not gone away, you know", to quote a fellow beard. Perhaps, what we all should say is more "Come into the fire and warm yourself with a cup a' tay, now, when you're in the place".
    Last edited by Bluebeard; 13/01/2010 at 1:05 PM.
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    The easiest question to answer Knoert is the your last one.
    The first Football match in the Aviva Stadium will be Ireland V Argentina
    on August 11 2010.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebeard View Post
    A quick look at his prior posts
    Stalker.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Thanks for your replies, so unfortunately things still are very unclear, Irish league football is quite in a bad state currently, hopefully things will improve soon.

I'm looking forward to next season though, wish to visit the Rover v Bohs derby at Tallaght, some match at the Aviva Stadium and actually the Brandywell but that's still in doubt but Derry deserves a league football team in my opnion.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Galway United will play at Terryland Park

Mervue United have a home ground called Fahy's Field, they played at Terryland Park in 2009 as Fahy's field was not up to required standards and they will probably play at Terryland again in 2010

Salthill Devon have a home ground in Drom, it is meant to be an excellent football facility in terms of pitches, all weather pitches and a modern clubhouse but I am unsure if it will be up to First Division standards in 2010 due to a lack of significant spectator and seating facilities. Best to keep an eye on this one.
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians