Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: Irish Citizenship - Question

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts

Irish Citizenship - Question

Hi,

I have checked around the internet for a clear answer to this question and I cannot find anything concrete.

Q: My wife is not Irish and we live abroad. If she gives birth to my child does that automatically qualify her for Irish Citizenship? I know it does so for the child but I am curious about my wife.

Thanks in advance

Decky
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    As far as im aware, wasn't that one of the things that was voted on around 2004? Basically to stop immigrants coming to ireland 8 months pregnant or so, and having a child here didn't entitle the parents to irish citizenship. it did however entitle the child to irish citizenship.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/ca...rough_marriage

you need her to live in Ireland to become a citizen
    Last edited by endabob1; 12/01/2010 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Misread the post.......
    "Your guilty conscience may move you to vote Democratic, but deep down you long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king"
    Sideshow Bob

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckydee View Post
    Hi,

I have checked around the internet for a clear answer to this question and I cannot find anything concrete.

Q: My wife is not Irish and we live abroad. If she gives birth to my child does that automatically qualify her for Irish Citizenship? I know it does so for the child but I am curious about my wife.

Thanks in advance

Decky
    No, it doesn't.

The fact that she married you (an Irish citizen) used to mean she could become a citizen easily, but that has been changed. Now the rules are much more strict and involve living in the country for a certain amount of time. It is basically citizenship through residence, but with a shorter period of time necessary due to her being married to an Irish citizen (3 years instead of 5)

Having a child (who will automatically be an Irish citizen as long as you were born in Ireland) doesn't affect this, to the best of my knowledge.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/ca...-irish-citizen
    Can a Russian woman, with an Irish citizen child, (now living in Russia) receive Irish citizenship?

No. There is no entitlement for her to become an Irish citizen on the basis of her child’s citizenship.
    Not exactly your situation, but I'd imagine the same rules will apply.
    Last edited by osarusan; 12/01/2010 at 12:49 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Deckydee, I'd the same situation as you, and while the child can get dual citizenship (a child is automatically Irish once at least one of the parents is Irish born, there is a difference on a child born to a "naturalised" Irish citizen) and your wife will be entitled to claim, on the child's behalf, benefits like childrens allowance, school support etc. There is a clause that the amount of time you are married (and where you were married) plus the birth of the child will give your wife to apply for immediate permanent residence and after (or most often before) the period of waiting is up she will be granted Irish citizenship. The normal waiting time is 5 years (the EU norm). If you PM me I can elaborate on some of this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Thanks weecounty man.

But I made a mistake in my orginal post. Were not married. I dont know why I posted that in

She is a EU citzen so I guess it doesnt matter.

But indeed as stated above, she must be living in Ireland to get it. I find it strange though.
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

But I made a mistake in my orginal post. Were not married. I dont know why I posted that in
    Could happen to a Bishop. And does.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    They changed the rules for couples married after 2002 to tighten the legislation, mainly because the loophole that entitled a child & its mother Irish citizenship if the kid was born in Ireland, but also to try and avoid marriages of convienience.
    "Your guilty conscience may move you to vote Democratic, but deep down you long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king"
    Sideshow Bob

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Thanks weecounty man.

She is a EU citzen so I guess it doesnt matter.

But indeed as stated above, she must be living in Ireland to get it. I find it strange though.
    Im just after laughing out loud, reading that and wolfies follow up, here at work.

Between the original post and today you were married, now divorced, and back together again. YOu lead some life.

That really was one of the funniest posts ive ever read on here in a long time. How do you come about saying that you were married? When i read you saying that first i thought she was only your girlfriend as you had mentioned that already, but i thought perhaps you are rather old fashioned and hte kid brought on the inevitable shot-gun marriage
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Im just after laughing out loud, reading that and wolfies follow up, here at work.

Between the original post and today you were married, now divorced, and back together again. YOu lead some life.

That really was one of the funniest posts ive ever read on here in a long time. How do you come about saying that you were married? When i read you saying that first i thought she was only your girlfriend as you had mentioned that already, but i thought perhaps you are rather old fashioned and hte kid brought on the inevitable shot-gun marriage
    Well, its quiet confusing actually. But this is the truth.

In the country where I live myself and my partner signed a document the day we bought our house that says that we are a ‘live in couple’. This then constitutes that we are someway together and the direct translation of the word means wife or something to that effect. So I always say here ‘My wife’ because we signed that document.

What is most important is that I don’t get screwed if we break up. So it’s a good as marriage really hence my use of the word.

Still though even though I am 30 my father makes me sleep on the couch when I come home

But we are still technically single

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    haha, i know that one deckydee.

When they come over its different rooms or what not
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    haha, i know that one deckydee.

When they come over its different rooms or what not
    I thought that the whole pointof it was that there was to be absolutely no what not going on at all...
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A