Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Sean Connor new manager of gufc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    its over now, basically hes looking forward to his next 3 years in galway. he wants the supporters to come out and will be in talks with last seasons players today and tomorrow as well as others. He also stated that there will be no official signings unless you hear them from his own lips.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    not going to read back through it all to see if this was posted already, but, gareth gorman and billy clery were named in his coaching staff. probably 2 former players who know the local junior leagues inside out, for some home grown talent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dillonman View Post
    I really dont think you can lecture me on financial reclessness of a club's board!!!

Edit, Seanie boy put the whoel squad up in a hotel in Sligo for a pres season game, some additional costs so yes, he is involved in some degree to that loss!
    Why not? At least I know who's to blame down here.

So Sean Connor put the whole team up using the clubs money but the board knew nothing about it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    swiped from a local newspaper....

http://www.galwaynews.ie/10608-new-boss-aiming-high

New boss aiming high

January 12, 2010

Connor pledges retaining Premier Div status is only a start

NEW Galway United manager Sean Connor says the only goal he has for the coming season is ensuring Premier Division survival – but claims there is no reason why the club can’t be challenging for league honours in the coming years.

The Belfast native was unveiled as the new United manager yesterday on a three year contract, making United his fourth club in six seasons, having also served as manager of Sligo Rovers, Bohemian FC and Dundalk. He will be joined on the United bench by two former players and crowd favourites, with Gareth Gorman acting as his assistant manager and Billy Clery completing the management team.

Speaking after his unveiling yesterday, Connor said Gorman played a major part in him deciding to apply for, and accept, the position of United manager; an appointment which he admitted will present him with the toughest test of his career.

“Gareth sold the club to me, he spoke very highly of the club. He lives locally and I think it is important to have a local feel to it [management] and that is why I have brought him and Billy Clery with me.

“Galway is a big city in a very sporting province, and we need to build the club into something the people can be proud of. The thing about United now is it is very much a team, and that is part of the challenge for me, to make it a club - right now it is only about the first team.

“We need to build links with the local community, be that with underage sides, educational courses, things like that. I want to make this club one which the people of Galway can be proud of, and also to turn it into the club young players in the area want to play for,” he said.

United CEO Nick Leeson, who presented Connor to the large gathering in Supermacs (which owns the Irish franchise for Papa Johns pizza, United’s main sponsor), said there were two exceptional candidates in the running for the job, and that of those, Connor was the “very clear winner”.

“He has an outstanding knowledge of football, he has the drive and ambition we were looking for, and he is a very good coach, and as we have limited resources at our disposal, Sean’s coaching skills will be invaluable,” he said.

Connor had spoken to some of the United squad before yesterday’s press conference, and he intended to speak to the others yesterday evening. He said all will be invited to attend the first day of preseason training, which will be held this coming Saturday.

He confirmed that Derek O’Brien and Alan Murphy have confirmed their interest in staying at United; he was “100% confident” Seamus Conneely will also be at United for the coming season; while he said that John Russell has attracted interest from one club in England, but if he decides to stay in Ireland, it will be with United.

New manager aims to freshen squad with new faces, page 22
    Nobody knows us, we don't care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    He said that exact same this time last year with us, blah blah blah we are a big club, should be challenging at the top and avoiding relegation in his first season would be the main priority and he was looking to unearth some youthful talent which never really materialised

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I'm not a fan of Sean Connor but there was hardly a rake of talented managers looking to take the job with a club that will have the lowest budget in the league next year and a squad which will be made up in the main of young local players.

Given how football managers jobs in Ireland are bascially an act of musical chairs it was only a matter of time until a Roddy Collins or in this case a Sean Connor ended up at United.

Should make for some interesting viewing next season if you've got a seat in the stand right behind the dugout at Terryland anyway.
    Last edited by Maroon 7; 12/01/2010 at 2:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    its over now, basically hes looking forward to his next 3 years in galway. he wants the supporters to come out and will be in talks with last seasons players today and tomorrow as well as others. He also stated that there will be no official signings unless you hear them from his own lips.
    i will be amazed if he is there in 12 months time.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    I'd imagine he's talking about in a footballing sense, which is the only area he has control over and is technically true.

If your board was stupid enough to give him a budget that cost ye 200k at the end of the year then there's one group of people responsible for that- the board.

Every manager on the face of the planet will ask for as big a budget as they can get away with.

Putting the blame on Connor makes it nice and easy since he's gone so if it were his fault it'd al be over, but the people responsible for your financial recklessness are still there. Point the finger where it belongs.
    Micls, I hope to god this isn't the same in Cork this season, your new boss left his last 4 clubs mired in debts due to overspending and signing behind the scenes contracts. I don't know if SC will be the same, but he does seem to get relatively little out of it for himself.

On that article, Nick Leeson said 2 high quality candidates, yet they plumped for SC. I wonder who had interviewed for the job? I wouldn't be surprised if it was SC and RC!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weecountyman View Post
    On that article, Nick Leeson said 2 high quality candidates, yet they plumped for SC. I wonder who had interviewed for the job? I wouldn't be surprised if it was SC and RC!
    Tom French was the other 1 in the '2' - Foster's assistant last year
    "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Tactics.

A question for Dundalk fan's mostly as ye were his former club.Was wondering what kind of tactics does Connor use?When he was Sligo manager a few years ago Sligo beat us in Terryland 2-0 and played us off the park that night with a lovely passing game.Last season however in Terryland i seen Dundalk play hoofball for most of the games.I know in one of those games they beat us 3-0 but they just overpowered us physically that night. I know he has his team's play physcially(disgracefull red card record) and are hard working but i just hope we are not in for a season of hoofball, are we??Kenna and Foster kept us up without playing hoofball so i hope Connor will aswell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    with Bohs it was pretty hard on the eyes. Well organised defensively but devoid of creativity going forward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    with Bohs it was pretty hard on the eyes. Well organised defensively but devoid of creativity going forward.
    We'll see an improvement from last season so when we were devoid both of defensive solidity and creativity going forward!
    "Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins."
    "Homer Simpson, smiling politely."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Nobody knows us, we don't care

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddyfield View Post
    That is the most subdued I have seen Sean Connor in an interview - I don't know if that is a good or bad sign!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    That is the most subdued I have seen Sean Connor in an interview - I don't know if that is a good or bad sign!
    I wonder if the sirens had anything to do with him in the background....he did roll his eyes a few times when they where going off.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678