Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cricket Thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Hopes dashed!
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Sweet Jebus, this is going horribly wrong.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Salvation?

A quick perusal of the rules indicates that each side must have faced (or had the opportunity to face) five overs in order for it to constitute a match. Tony Cozier on TMS says the rain has subsided slightly but it's still drizzling.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Naw,

Covers off! Back into the lion's den. Play starts at twenty past.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    Sure they're saving themselves for the England game really.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    I think the start is too poor a platform to win this game.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    810 Posts
    Blew it VS the Windies , bowling and fielding was good , battingf was attrioucios

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    454 Posts
    Ireland out of twenty twenty after match against England was rained off. Did very well to restrict England to 120-8 on helpful pitch with Eoin Morgan top-scoring for England with 45. Ireland on 14-1 after 3.3 overs and did not constitute a match. So England went through on better scoring rate against Windies.

Mike Atherton reckoned we would be gutted to see Morgan doing so well against us. Can't blame Morgan for switching in my view.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ForzaForth View Post
    Mike Atherton reckoned we would be gutted to see Morgan doing so well against us. Can't blame Morgan for switching in my view.
    You can, he switched over in order to gain more money for himself rather than play for the nation that trained him, coached him, made him become an international for his country. Where would he be if there was no Ireland cricket team, he is spitting in the face of Irish cricket, how is this a good example to young players in Ireland when your best players change allegiance. If he never played for Ireland, I could accept more, but the fact is, he played for Ireland. When he was growing up, did he want to play for England, I think not. On his basis, he should be supporting England in other sports now, since he proved that he is no Irish man.

To the game itself, just a complete shambles from the ICC to hold a World Cup in a venue that is currently in the monsoon season, it makes no sense, I think the high authorities just wanted a free holiday in the West Indies, the logistics of playing there has no basis whatsoever. But the game earlier in the day had rain problems, the forecast was rain and yet they still start a match with the 20 overs ? Why didn't reduce the the match to 10 overs a side, cause we all knew the rain was coming.

[Rant over ]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    You can, he switched over in order to gain more money for himself rather than play for the nation that trained him, coached him, made him become an international for his country. Where would he be if there was no Ireland cricket team, he is spitting in the face of Irish cricket, how is this a good example to young players in Ireland when your best players change allegiance. If he never played for Ireland, I could accept more, but the fact is, he played for Ireland. When he was growing up, did he want to play for England, I think not. On his basis, he should be supporting England in other sports now, since he proved that he is no Irish man.
    I think that's harsh, if he wants to pay test cricket and therefore play the game at the highest level, he can only currently do so for England. It's something the ICC needs to look at closely and quickly because we've now lost Joyce & Morgan and the ICC aren't doing enough in my opinion to develop the game outside the traditional test countries. Ireland have been the most consistent performers of the associate nations over the last few years and our reward is to have our best players poached.
    One of 2 things should happen, a second tier test status needs to be evolved, where countries like us, Bangladesh, Zim and I guess the other better associate nations can play competitive test matches with a view to promotion to full test status. I know Bangladesh have current full test stats & Zim have had in the past but they are way below the proper test sides.
    The other alternative is to allow players like Morgan & Joyce to continue playing 1 day & T20 cricket for Ireland while playing test matches for England. I'm not sure how well this would work in practice though because the tours tend to bring the same or similar squads for the 1day/T20 & Test Series.

To the game itself, just a complete shambles from the ICC to hold a World Cup in a venue that is currently in the monsoon season, it makes no sense, I think the high authorities just wanted a free holiday in the West Indies, the logistics of playing there has no basis whatsoever. But the game earlier in the day had rain problems, the forecast was rain and yet they still start a match with the 20 overs ? Why didn't reduce the the match to 10 overs a side, cause we all knew the rain was coming.

[Rant over ]
    Agreed 100% a complete shambles, rain was coming play 10 overs each, make a fair game of it, it's a simple call, especially in a situation where it's basically a knock out game. To f-k up once like they did for the England WIndies game was bad enough but to compound it the very next day is just farcical.
    "Your guilty conscience may move you to vote Democratic, but deep down you long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king"
    Sideshow Bob

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts

[Rant over ]

Sorry Boss dont agree here, what has Cricket got to do with his nationality, remember its still only a game, and IMHO he is entitled to opt for whatever situation benefits himself

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    I read in the paper today that Ed Joyce is coming back to play for Ireland. Anyone know when this is happening?
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    As far as I know, he has to wait until April 2011 before he can come back, as does another player who wants to play for them, Hamish Marshall, he has played for New Zealand but can qualify for Ireland due to having an Irish Passport, he also has to wait until April 2011, both players will look for dispensation from the ICC in order to join them in the next few months.

14. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    601 Posts

Ed Joyce confirms return to Ireland fold

Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    I read in the paper today that Ed Joyce is coming back to play for Ireland. Anyone know when this is happening?
    RTE have confirmed that Ed Joyce plans to play for Ireland again and that Cricket Ireland are going to seek special dispensation for Joyce to play at the 2011 World Cup - http://www.rte.ie/sport/cricket/2010/0524/joycee.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    810 Posts
    yes its true Ed Joyce is returning to Irish cricket , thats fantastic news for us and will help us push onto another level.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    I think it is a farce of a rule, he may help the team progress a bit but the rule is a joke.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Morgan gets his first test cap for England today.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    810 Posts
    I think it is a farce of a rule, he may help the team progress a bit but the rule is a joke.
    ye it is in truth

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    810 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    Morgan gets his first test cap for England today.
    Fair play to the lad a world class player lets hope he performs at test level though. The key to his succes is all the hurling he played when he was younger its given him the ability to play some ridiculously good shots.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieran Burke View Post
    The key to his succes is all the hurling he played when he was younger
    same with pietersen I believe
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

22. Thanks From: