Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Summer Soccer V Winter Soccer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts

Foot.ie! Summer Soccer V Winter Soccer

Imagine if we still had Winter soccer this year?

How many games would we be behind at this stage. Between the all the rain of November and December, and the freezing conditions of the last few weeks.

Viva Summer soccer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Here here, we'd have no gates for clubs for 5 or 6 weeks. It would be a financial disaster. Dark old days - lets not go back there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Was it Sligo who's fans were claiming that their attendances were down because of vital farm work that has to take place in the long summer evenings. That was one of my favourites.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The club soccer is winter soccer though isn't it?!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Football.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sullanefc View Post
    Imagine if we still had Winter soccer this year?

How many games would we be behind at this stage. Between the all the rain of November and December, and the freezing conditions of the last few weeks.

Viva Summer soccer.
    I was thinking this meself, would be a complete disaster and if any game s did go ahead there would be virtually nobody at them so keep it in the Sumemr even though there still are postponments with heavy rain at times during the Summer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    people who want loi to be played in winter deserve a facepalm. ireland really doesnt have a country for cold spells like this, and especially our football infrastructure which is absolute ****.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    the farm thing is true unfortunitly.. i know a lot of lads who went to town games every week until we switched to summer football. the summer weather helps make going to a game a more attractive proposition and helps s in europe but it hasnt helped the smaller clubs much

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Summer Soccer without a doubt. Not just because of the weather but the LOI clubs have done well in Europe since the move to summer soccer. On another note, the Scottish leagues should really move to summer soccer aswell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts
    No matter which way you play the league, whether it be during the Summer or Winter, its going to effect smaller teams in some way, thats the problem, main point to think about is: which will affect the greater amount and which will generate better sponsorship, more coverage and increase crowds, not to mention European results, if they go back to the WInter timing then it will be a disaster, look at the Northern League, when was the last time any of the clubs had a positive result in Europe!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    They'll be considering it up North aswell I'd imagine. Most of their Christmas programme was wiped out. It cost Coleraine up to £40,000

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gufc2000 View Post
    They'll be considering it up North aswell I'd imagine. Most of their Christmas programme was wiped out. It cost Coleraine up to £40,000
    if they swaped over it might make holding a compitition simmilar to the setanta cup much easier. id like to see the top 2 welsh teams get in aswell as llanelli and tns are both professional and would add a little extra somthing to the tournament

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sheao View Post
    Summer Soccer without a doubt. Not just because of the weather but the LOI clubs have done well in Europe since the move to summer soccer. On another note, the Scottish leagues should really move to summer soccer aswell.
    btw irish weather isn't the worst, like a lot of countries have ****ter winter weather but the way ireland is so rural and has crap stadiums would make winter football just terrible.

the spl wouldn't need to go to summer football because they have quality stadiums and good transport in scotland.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Boy View Post
    Dark old days - lets not go back there.
    Yeah, I remember those days 30 odd years ago when we last had a winter like this...

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Boy View Post
    which will affect the greater amount and which will generate better sponsorship, more coverage and increase crowds, not to mention European results, if they go back to the WInter timing then it will be a disaster, look at the Northern League, when was the last time any of the clubs had a positive result in Europe!
    Any real evidence for this increase in sponsorship and increased crowds? The only increase in TV Coverage is because of the TV Deal for international games and has nothing to do with the season timing. For the short period we're not up against UK football, or international tournaments, we're swamped by the GAA instead (and attendances are actually down during the UK close season anyway). European results are more to do with spending than league timing, comparison with the Irish League is invalid because of the spending differential and the fact they don't seem to give a toss about european football.

We're stuck with a "summer" season for the foreseeable future, but there's little, if any, evidence it's been of any benefit compared to a traditional season.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post
    Was it Sligo who's fans were claiming that their attendances were down because of vital farm work that has to take place in the long summer evenings. That was one of my favourites.
    Yeah partly the farmers and partly "housewives bringing their children to the beach" if I remember rightly. The farmers thing has a basis in reality. We definitely lost a few when it came in but as for the housewives..
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    the spl wouldn't need to go to summer football because they have quality stadiums and good transport in scotland.
    That's largely true on the SPL stadium front. Though Fir Park always seems to have cancelled fixtures in bad weather for some inexplicable reason, and the SFA have had words with a few others in recent days about the performance of theirr under-soil heating.

However - there are three other senior divisions below the SPL you know, and their fixtures tend to get completely erased in bad weather, often for weeks on end. Lower division Scottish stadia are broadly better than the ones in Ireland (even compared to our Premier Division), but they do also tend to face worse weather than us.

After this Winter's fixture chaos in Scotland, I've no doubt the idea of Summer football will have crossed the minds of a few Chairmen there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    Yeah, I remember those days 30 odd years ago when we last had a winter like this...

Any real evidence for this increase in sponsorship and increased crowds? The only increase in TV Coverage is because of the TV Deal for international games and has nothing to do with the season timing. For the short period we're not up against UK football, or international tournaments, we're swamped by the GAA instead (and attendances are actually down during the UK close season anyway). European results are more to do with spending than league timing, comparison with the Irish League is invalid because of the spending differential and the fact they don't seem to give a toss about european football.

We're stuck with a "summer" season for the foreseeable future, but there's little, if any, evidence it's been of any benefit compared to a traditional season.
    fair play Macy.

i love the "imagine if we had winter football" topic popping up in the worst winter since 1982!!

there is absolutely no evidence that crowds are better because of the move (to summer soccer) or that sponsorship is better. surely the clash with the GAA in summer months (support and exposure wise) and also people on holiday etc. have reduced numbers/interest.

i'd definitely be all for winter soccer.

as for european results, fair enough some have got some decent results but no team has made th breakthrough to group stages, a lot have sailed very close to the wind trying to and in reality only 3 or 4 teams out of the 22 league sides see the benefit of it anyway.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BYCTWD View Post
    There is evidence that crowds are up. I understand that some regional clubs like Longford that were strong in the end of the winter football period and are nowhere now might look to the transition like they are a cause and effect, but the reality is that going to football in July is more pleasant than going in December and the quality of pitch and consequent standard follows.

Like it or not, encouraging people to go to games is all about putting on a matchday experience. Sunshine helps that dramatically.

There is legitimate reasons to review summer football, but if you want to advocate going back to winter ball and the European regression that will go with it, people will need to provide better reasons than 'sure its no better' or 'some of our fans are farmers'.
    I'd broadly agree with this, though I'm not sure about evidence that crowds are up, especially for each club. Rovers' crowds last season will bring up the average, but that doesn't do any good for clubs in the First Division, for example.

Also, I think the next few seasons in Europe will give some insight into how much of our on-the-field improvement had to do with summer football and how much had to do with spending cash clubs didn't have.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Agreed. But we will never regress to the level of hammerings of yore IMO.
    Wouldn't be too sure on that, tbh. Look at Sligo this year losing to a club that was trying to lose. I think once financial reality settles on the league, there'll be a couple of hammerings.

Though I was pleasantly surprised how a much weaker Pat's side than recent years still did very well in Europe this time around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    About the havic Winter weather causes on Scottish football - yes.

On the spectator appeal of Shamrock Rovers and them 'doing up their stadium' - no.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast