Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saint dog View Post
    not wouldn't be surprised to see chisnal switch to the pdc
    any reason why the likes of o'shea adams and hankey wont switch
    They did make the semi finalists sign contracts that they'd play BDO the year after, I'm not sure whether that's still the case or not. But they could just prefer the BDO set up, being a bigger fish in a smaller pond, and be doing alright financially anyway.
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    They did make the semi finalists sign contracts that they'd play BDO the year after, I'm not sure whether that's still the case or not. But they could just prefer the BDO set up, being a bigger fish in a smaller pond, and be doing alright financially anyway.
    That contract thing was in place when Mervyn King switched. Don't think its worth the paper its written on in truth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by saint dog View Post
    not sure taylor would have won 7-0 last night
    great final though
    wouldn't be surprised to see chisnal switch to the pdc
    any reason why the likes of o'shea adams and hankey wont switch
    I can not see Hankey or Adams leave the BDO, they are pretty loyal to the organistation, and rumours around say that Adams will be on the BDO board when he gives up, Hankey keeps on complaining about the PDC Crowds, I think he is using that as an excuse to not go over, cause he wants to win many world championships, so he will always stay there.

About O'Shea and Fitton, if one goes over, the other will follow, not really sure if they may switch, they have always performed very well when playing PDC players, but not always great in the BDO, so they may go over to improve their game.

I can see Waites switching, its only a matter of time imo, he knows he can compete with them and the BDO standard is affecting his game, like it was for many of the players that switched over the last 3 years.

A bit too early for Chisnall I think, He has proven he is a decent player with some success over 2009, I think he may stay around for a 1/2 more years, to prove that he can maintain this form on a consistent basis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    On another note, he was nothing short of a disgrace. I'd beat myself up if I played that bad when drunk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    On another note, he was nothing short of a disgrace. I'd beat myself up if I played that bad when drunk.
    http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...key-has-stroke

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Yeah, saw that last night - so strange. Hope he gets better soon.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Jason Cullen from Wexford knocked Martin Atkins out in first round of the BDO. My last ever youths tournament was one of his first, I went on to win the thing so I was obviously his inspiration to get to where he is today

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    Wouldn't even waste my time watching that tournament. Hope the lad does well however, but in that tournament, I'd fancy myself to win a few games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Wouldn't even waste my time watching that tournament. Hope the lad does well however, but in that tournament, I'd fancy myself to win a few games.
    Not to disrespect you in anyway, but thats the sort of comment an Irish EPL Fan would say about the LOI.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    The Boss is dead on there. Standard is still very good. Winning averages on day one;
    Jason Cullen - 29.58 - 88.74
    Robbie Green - 30.37 - 91.11
    Garry Thompson - 29.61 - 88.83
    Richie George - 27.22 - 81.66
    Darryl Fitton - 29.77 - 89.31
    Alan Norris - 26.66 - 79.98
    Tony O'Shea - 28.91 - 86.73

Poor averages from George and Norris, but all the others would have been similar to the PDC averages in the early rounds. As an example Adrian Lewis averaged 83 in a comfortable first round win and Paul Nicholson 87.

if you consistently average above 85 I'd highly recommend taking up darts full time. There's £11,000 for getting to BDO semis and £100,000 for winning it. Then you can make the dream move to the PDC.
    Last edited by passinginterest; 06/01/2013 at 10:24 AM.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    It was obviously a slight over-statement, a bit tongue in cheek you may say, but at the end of the day, it's very hard to watch. I've been watching and playing darts since ever I was able to hold a dart, both BDO and PDC, and the gap between them has grown so significant, that it's making the BDO tournaments awful to watch.

For the record, if I could only afford to, I would take up darts on a semi-pro basis. It costs an awful lot of money on travelling alone, even around Ireland, where ranking tournaments are almost solely based in Munster.

I know many others in the same boat, much, much better players than me too. I could name you 6 or 7 players in Donegal alone who would easily hold their own in the BDO. It's all about money though. If a player can't get sponsorship, there's not even any point in trying.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Emmm..., maybe you were right, Nigel:

15. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Can happen, in fact it happened to the Dutch guy in this years PDC final v taylor (not a missed dart all the same but still a dropped one!), not such a big deal as long as its not a regular thing for a player. Bit like me playing darts once when i was on speed, lol!!!
    Last edited by bennocelt; 08/01/2013 at 6:00 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    I watch that game in full the last night. Yer man is a bit odd to say the least....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Have to bump the darts thread after tonight. Barney Army! Great to see him roll back the years. Wouldn't be surprised if that's his high and Smith hammer him in the quarters. PDC standards getting higher all the time, the amount of averages over 100 these days is amazing. Anyone losing with 105 is pretty much unthinkable even 5 years ago. Love seeing the BDO players still crossing over and making an impact and will be looking forward to the BDO in the new year. The youth tour and the secondary tour on the PDC circuit are definitely helping to improve the standard too, it can only be a matter of time at this stage before there's a merger.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,346 Posts
    There'll be no merger. People within the BDO absolutely loathe the PDC and think it's all a circus.

For what it's worth, the standard has been phenomenal in the PDC for the past few years, but this years World Championship is proving to be another huge leap in standard. Unbelievable stuff being thrown for the best part. Chisnall being put out tonight despite averaging over 100 for the entire tournament speaks volumes itself.

Also, the crowd are becoming more annoying. The minute Sky Sports and the PDC allowed chanting from the crowd it's almost killed the game. Atmosphere is one thing, but repeatedly chanting 'Kolo Toure..Yaya Toure' and 'Stand up if you love the darts' as well as the utterly confusing and stupid 'boring boring tables' is somewhat ruining watching it for me, especially the Kolo Toure, Yaya Toure one, which makes no sense whatsoever at a darts event.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    773 Posts
    Nigel- I see a Donegal kid - Jordan Boyce, has reached the BDO Junior Final. Decent prospect?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12