Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Linfield pull out of Setanta Cup

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Krstic View Post
    Totally irrelevant in regards to the Setanta.

Plus Dungannon have already been taken care of.
    No its not.

Derry fans are claiming they are either a new entity and owe linfield nothing or they are the same club and should be in the Setanta.

However, they are in fact a new club and still owe Linfield money(because the FAi are making them pay it in order to get a licence).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    234 Posts
    It's a bit of a Novel experience for me to agree with you EG, but you're spot on.
    Wow!

However Linfield cannot have it both ways either. They're saying that Derry Owe them money and they will not play a reformed team. Now we can only be one or the other. Either we are the Derry City who owe them money or we are new.
    Hang on! LFC aren't the bad guys in all this (for once!). Had they got their £5k, or had the FAI taken responsibility for applying their rulebook consistently towards DCFC, LFC would not have been in a position to choose their own response.

Of course, ifk may have been correct earlier in suspecting that LFC's motives may be as much pragmatic as principled i.e. against the possibility of the competition folding anyhow, then LFC pulling out may ease their own domestic
    fixture congestion etc.

But DCFC and the FAI have had more than enough time to sort LFC out before now. And considering it took Dungannon Swifts to issue two separate legal actions before they got a settlement from Derry (and then only a portion of what they were owed), why should LFC wait any longer, especially when no-one up in Derry will even tell them who they are dealing with - the "old" DCFC or the "new" DCFC?

Of course, maybe if DCFC were still in the IL, their fellow IL clubs might have been prepared to "cut them some more slack", or maybe even the IFA might have brokered some sort of compromise?

But as we are continually told by their fans etc, that holds no appeal for them...

Oh well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    If Linfield refuse to play the return game then they shoud also withdraw their claim on the ticket money that Derry fans paid on the understanding that it was a two legged tournament between each club,IE: playing each other home and away.

Does anyone actually think any Derry fans would have bought tickets for the game at Windsor Pk if we had known that Linfield would refuse to play the return game.

Rub it up them the crying c**ts.
    So if you think Bohs are big read this. http://www.astronomy.ie/perpespective.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    No its not.

Derry fans are claiming they are either a new entity and owe linfield nothing or they are the same club and should be in the Setanta.

However, they are in fact a new club and still owe Linfield money(because the FAi are making them pay it in order to get a licence).
    Yes but that is totally irrelevant in regards to Setanta.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Yes but that is totally irrelevant in regards to Setanta.
    I was responding to the claims of other derry fans that its one or another when it's not.

Linfield have the right not to play the game( cos its a different Derry City) and still be owed 5k.

Did the new company buy the name yet?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Why is everyone so sure Linfield have not been paid/that no agreement reached with them?
    Last edited by MariborKev; 05/01/2010 at 3:32 PM.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Candystripe View Post
    I think £50,000 is a lot more than £5,000 - at least, it was when I was at school.

£5,000 didn't rear Linfield FC.

If effectively stealing money (knowing that you had no way of paying for the tickets) rocks your boat, good for you.

Does anyone actually think any Derry fans would have been given tickets for the game at Windsor Pk if Linfield had known that Derry would refuse to pay for them?
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    Wow!

But DCFC and the FAI have had more than enough time to sort LFC out before now. And considering it took Dungannon Swifts to issue two separate legal actions before they got a settlement from Derry (and then only a portion of what they were owed), why should LFC wait any longer, especially when no-one up in Derry will even tell them who they are dealing with - the "old" DCFC or the "new" DCFC?

l.
    Then you went and spoiled it all by saying something completely untrue.

Dungannon didn't get a settlement from Derry City.

'Firends of Derry City' made an offer to Dungannon which their chairman Jarlath Faloon admitted was both welcomed and unexpected and settled any debt owed Wellvan (the comany they took to court).

Now i agree that linfield have every right to be agrieved at this 'Theft' and are in no way the bad guys, but they cannot argue that Derry City owes them money on one hand and then refuse a return fixture with the same Derry City by claiming that they are not now the same club. It has to be one or the other.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    The Caveat is that the FAI seem to have made reaching settlements with Dungannon and Linfield prerequisite to getting a D1 license.
    Interesting.

Why would the FAI be concerned to see the IFA sorted before accommodating DCFC? After all, they haven't always been so "neighbourly" in their dealings with us before...

Might it be because regardless of which League a club operates in, in order to be acceptable to FIFA/UEFA, a professional football club must also be a Member of its "home" Football Association?

And since for DCFC that actually means the IFA, then if the FAI are going to (ignore all their own rules and procedures in order to) get DCFC "back" in the LOI, they can't risk the new DCFC being rejected by the IFA (or the old DCFC's registration not being renewed, whichever it is)?

"Oh what a tangled web we weave, when first we practice to deceive"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MariborKev View Post
    Why is everyone so sure Linfield have not been paid/that no agreement reached with them?
    Im not sure, simply basing it on the article.

I dont think it's relevant though tbh. Even if it has been paid (fair play if so) Linfield are still right to say it's not the same club and they shouldn't have to play them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EalingGreen View Post
    And since for DCFC that actually means the IFA, then if the FAI are going to (ignore all their own rules and procedures in order to) get DCFC "back" in the LOI, they can't risk the new DCFC being rejected by the IFA (or the old DCFC's registration not being renewed, whichever it is)?
    Let's not start that debate again.
    If it helps, ye can have Darren Gibson back.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    Im not sure, simply basing it on the article.

I dont think it's relevant though tbh. Even if it has been paid (fair play if so) Linfield are still right to say it's not the same club and they shouldn't have to play them.
    Agreed,

As previously stated, I think we shouldn't be in the competition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    234 Posts
    Then you went and spoiled it all by saying something completely untrue.

Dungannon didn't get a settlement from Derry City.
    I consciously didn't claim Swifts got a settlement from "Derry City" [sic]. I was aware that the settlement was from people connected with those trying to take over/resurrect/replace the old club - I just wasn't sure exactly what name was on the cheque.

'Firends of Derry City' made an offer to Dungannon which their chairman Jarlath Faloon admitted was both welcomed and unexpected and settled any debt owed Wellvan (the comany they took to court).
    Good for them (FODC). But as others have indicated, the FODC may have been under pressure from the FAI to settle Wellvan's debts with Swifts.
    And as for Faloon admitting this settlement was "welcome" - I'm sure he did, since let's face it, he wasn't likely to get a penny from anyone else, was he?
    Which is not to denigrate FODC, it's just you'll have to forgive me for wondering whether their motives were entirely altruistic and voluntary...

Now i agree that linfield have every right to be agrieved at this 'Theft' and are in no way the bad guys, but they cannot argue that Derry City owes them money on one hand and then refuse a return fixture with the same Derry City by claiming that they are not now the same club. It has to be one or the other.
    Sorry, but until someone pays LFC the money they are owed, they are quite entitled to do whatever the Hell they like, including declining to accept their Invitation [sic] to compete from Setanta.

What you simply cannot get away from is that if the new guys at the Brandywell want to benefit from their predecessors' Invitation to the Setanta Ball, then they (new guys) need to pay for the predecessors' ticket. Literally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post
    I think £50,000 is a lot more than £5,000 - at least, it was when I was at school.

£5,000 didn't rear Linfield FC.

If effectively stealing money (knowing that you had no way of paying for the tickets) rocks your boat, good for you.

Does anyone actually think any Derry fans would have been given tickets for the game at Windsor Pk if Linfield had known that Derry would refuse to pay for them?

Of course £5,000 didn't rear Linfield FC.That's just pocket change compared to what Linfield recieve from the I.F.A.........in fact so is £50,000.

Linfield have been crying for ages about the SC, remember them not wanting mon/tues games and wanting Sat games?Then though and behold they get their way and whoooooosh now weekend games don't suit.

In football matters Derry are the same club and everyone here knows it,we're the same Derry fans here having discussions with fans from Linfield,Glentoran,Cliftonville and most L.O.I. clubs today,last month and two years ago.We're the same people that only six months ago were chatting about our European games.

Yes indeed we are also the same fans that had our club sh1t on from within and we are now trying to move on, if that means not playing in the Setanta cup then so be it.

If Linfield want to pull out and we have a play-off with St Pats then that's fine to.

IMO we won't be playing in it and St Pats and Linfield will decide who goes through in their two games.
    So if you think Bohs are big read this. http://www.astronomy.ie/perpespective.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Linfield have not been paid, nor have Cliftonville. As for any "agreement"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    102 Posts
    Should Derry play in the setanta? No

Should Linfield get their money? Yes

But the two are unrelated, and the statement from Linfield is a disingenuous attempt to further denigrate [not that it's needed] the competition, by preempting whatever decisions are made about the future of DCFC. The fact that's it's probably also the death knell for the competition, is just an added bonus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    234 Posts

Does anyone actually think any Derry fans would have bought tickets for the game at Windsor Pk if we had known that Linfield would refuse to play the return game.
    Hang on. If DCFC had paid LFC their money, then they (LFC) would have had no grounds for withdrawing from the competition...

Oh ffs! You do realise you Derry wans are all causing me to stick up for Linfield here?

I have a reputation to maintain, I'll have you know...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    225 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post
    Let's be clear about this - are you claiming that Linfield were originally scheduled to play Derry City at the Brandywell on 29th August 2009?
    I couldn't be bothered getting into it. It's completely irrelevant anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Heggy
    So, if this game is not to be played and Derry had it factored into their 2010 budget, does this mean they will be cutting Kenny's spending power by around 30K to 40k?
    The budget for this year wouldn't include any from any Setanta matches. No-one said that. But it would be welcome extra cash.

On the money owed to Linfield: That money is owed by Wellvan. If FODC make a payment to LFC, so be it. But LFC have no right to demand anything from the new Derry City.

Relating back to the Belfast Telegraph article, the money owed to Linfield by Wellvan isn't the issue anyway. The issue is that Linfield would be playing a new Derry City.
    It's interesting to note that Kerr doesn't suggest any solution to the situation. He doesn't even leave any scope for a possible solution from Setanta. "Dead in the water", as far as he's concerned.

For the record, I don't think we have any right to be in the Setanta, but if we're invited (which it seems we have been), we shouldn't turn it down.

Whilst having to play the new Derry City is the excuse, the real issue is that Linfield don't want, for whatever reason, to play in the Setanta.
    And here, fair enough. No-one is going to force Linfield to play in a tournament they don't want to. But at least have the balls to come out and say it rather than use our situation as an excuse to jump ship half way through the competition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    For the record, I don't think we have any right to be in the Setanta, but if we're invited (which it seems we have been), we shouldn't turn it down.
    Has Derry City Football Club Ltd been specifically invited to compete and replace Wellvan Enterprises T/A DCFC? Love to see where the evidence of this is.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    225 Posts
    Has Derry City Football Club Ltd been specifically invited to compete and replace Wellvan Enterprises T/A DCFC? Love to see where the evidence of this is.
    Who knows? Belfast Telegraph/Linfield obviously think so though.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast