Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Simon Cox (F Western Sydney Wanderers b.1987)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yapster View Post
    Come back down to earth a small bit son, stop making a big deal over nothing...

You got the first one right btw...
    Drop the son bit, very disrespectful, especially to someone who is actually giving you a chance and not slating you.

Back to Simon Cox, young striker playing well in a difficult league with a good footballing side. Definately worth a look, only saw him once against QPR when I was home but he looked a much better option than Folan and easily at least the equal of Best, quick strong and tricky with a powerful shot and bags of courage.
    Help something bit me!!!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I don't mean to disrespect anyone it's just a habit.

The Nigerian is blown out of proportion and fair play to you Silkcut you seem to have an objective mind.

If Cox wants to play for Ireland then he has every right to under the rules, I just think it's sad that Ireland are having to go down this road again. It was hard trying to explain it to Americans in 94,and tbh it is a prime subject for jokes. But he is available and Ireland do need all they can get I suppose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I don't see the problem with trawling England for players, every country does it. France and Holland trawl africa, Italy has Camoranesi from Argentina and Rossi from the States even England have Hargreaves who is Canadian. countries are much more multi cultural now, if there are second or third generation Irishmen out there who are good enough to play for us and want to play for us, bring 'em on.
    Help something bit me!!!

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I suppose your right Silk and that does seem to be the way it's going but I do feel that it takes something away from International football. It may happen that it will be like club football in the future with anyone playing for whoever and who knows with all the money involved in the game now it may come down to mercaneries going to the highest bidder.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    I don't mean to disrespect anyone it's just a habit.

The Nigerian is blown out of proportion and fair play to you Silkcut you seem to have an objective mind.

If Cox wants to play for Ireland then he has every right to under the rules, I just think it's sad that Ireland are having to go down this road again. It was hard trying to explain it to Americans in 94,and tbh it is a prime subject for jokes. But he is available and Ireland do need all they can get I suppose.
    Who is this supposed to be. Sounds like a character from a gangster novel. I'm finding it hard to remain respectful towards your posts. You are obviously a WUM
    Last edited by drummerboy; 06/01/2010 at 7:55 AM.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Dont understand this logic at all, particularly considering the irish history of emigration and diaspora we have. If you have ever been to an away game you will truly appreciate how people not born in Ireland but with connections to Ireland through parents/grandparents etc are as passionate about the team and the country as anyone born here. We have done well under the granny rule and the majority of beneficiaries have given there all for the jersey. Even 'suspect' cases like Clint, his commitment when playing for us cannot be questioned. We are a small country with a very little pool, if the likes of Holland, France, Portugal, Germany and Spain exploit the granny rule then we definitely should as well!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    What was hard to explain to Americans?? Ae you seriously suggesting that Americans could not comprehend how somebody born outside Ireland came to represent us in the World Cup??

In the very same tournament the American squad featured Roy Wegerle, a South African born & bred, he qualified through the back door by residency, he hadn't even gotten any links to the States. Another guy, Fernando Clavijo was born in Uraguay and Mike Perez is Salvadoran.

Bringing that up to date, what part of the US was Freddy Adu born in??

And thats only in Football, you take a look back at American representative sides in any sport and you'll see them exploiting rules to field "non native" players, from Africans to Cubans....so I find it ridiculous that you would say that Americans were in some way ignorant to the phenomenon! They have a track record of exploiting it as much as we do.
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    This thread is funny.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
    This thread is funny.
    I Know.....It is actually a thread about Simon Cox..as ripley would say

Believe it or not
    Bring back the plank

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    I can't believe you all actually bother engaging with yapster! There's a couple more like him too. It's a nuisance.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Who is this supposed to be. Sounds like a character from a gangster novel. I'm finding it hard to remain respectful towards your posts. You are obviously a WUM

Typing error, I meant the Nigerian thing..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    It's such a shame that Ireland can't produce quality players who are born in Ireland. Thats the good thing about the infusion of foreign people into Ireland in the last 15 years or so is that the offspring of these people will bring some badly needed skill & intelligence to Irish football.Look at Paul McGrath with his Nigerian blood that made him the player he was. The Jack Charlton years were a joke and a disgrace to international football with this grannyrule. Owen Coyle & Bernie Slavin & o'Cascarino ffs. The influx of all these people from foreign lands will enhance Irish sport and who knows Ireland may get a decent Heavyweight boxer out of it.
    I took a lot of stick of this site, over(honest)general opinions which didn't meet the requirements of the super-intellects, but this is the biggest load of garbage i've read in a long time.

When were Nigerians ever associated with being hardy, slow, center backs?

I don't think someone who posts stuff like this even deserves blocking, outright banning from the Ireland forum IMO

As for Cox, how old is he?. type of striker? Wouldnt get too worked up, obviously haven't seen him, but manys a player has scored 20+ in that division and struggled to get goals up above.
    There's the right way, the wrong way.... and the Max Power way!! :-D

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Cox is 22 - I haven't seen him play, but to be commanding a regular place in a possibly Premiership-bound team is not too shabby.

I have no idea what his reasons are for declaring for Ireland, but I'd be perfectly willing to give him a chance. If his heart's not in it, he won't perform to the required level and be dropped - natural selection at work.

That's assuming Nigeria don't snatch him from under our noses, of course...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    never heard of him, dont think he will make the team. seriously if your gonna go down that route there is a good chance that half the team would be born in england. you can distort facts and mention france, england etc.(if anything with france its african countries taking their players) all you want but ireland really shouldn't go over the top with this rule. a lot of people in england have some irish ancestry it doesn't mean they should get in the team.

i think there is a differerence. france national team reflects their country, they have had mass immigration from north africa and other parts since the 60's, they might be african descent but they are french) this is in sharp contrast to ireland picking english developed players.

i want people like kilbane, david connolly, these players are 'irish' in that they connect with ireland whatever that connection is i dont know but they have it, what i dont want is just picking ireland because it gives them a chance at international footbal.
    Last edited by irishultra; 08/01/2010 at 12:32 AM.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The Charlton years were a joke with all this granny-trawling and fair play to Kerr even though his reign wasn't successful he did try to bring Irish born players into the fold. The first-generation is ok and should be cut off at that. Yes other countries exploit this but Ireland has it down to an art. It's not fair on the home-grown players and it's not fair on the countries that they are poached from. In a generation or so if the off-spring of the people who have emigrated to Ireland start opting for their parents and grandparents countries I can guarantee you these players will get the abuse McGeady & McCarthy have recieved in Scotland.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Just imagine that Paul McGrath had opted to play for England the country of his birth or Nigeria where his dad was from or David o Leary or Liam Brady opting for his mothers country?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    never heard of him, dont think he will make the team. seriously if your gonna go down that route there is a good chance that half the team would be born in england. you can distort facts and mention france, england etc.(if anything with france its african countries taking their players) all you want but ireland really shouldn't go over the top with this rule. a lot of people in england have some irish ancestry it doesn't mean they should get in the team.

i think there is a differerence. france national team reflects their country, they have had mass immigration from north africa and other parts since the 60's, they might be african descent but they are french) this is in sharp contrast to ireland picking english developed players.

i want people like kilbane, david connolly, these players are 'irish' in that they connect with ireland whatever that connection is i dont know but they have it, what i dont want is just picking ireland because it gives them a chance at international footbal.
    Saying that.. It's better to have a player and not need him, than to need him and not have him. I don't know enough about him to validate his herritage but he's been committing to Ireland for a long time now. Has been mentioned on this site since he was at Reading in the premiership, so he's hardly doing a Zat Knight on it.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Cox has always wanted to play for Ireland. During his time with Reading, he was quoted as saying that he asked Doyle and Hunt to let it be known that he wanted to play for the Ireland where he mother was born and bred.

If a player is genuinely commmitted to us and has the proper qualifications, they should be given the chance. What we don't want to the likes of Kevin Nolan.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Cox is 22 - I haven't seen him play, but to be commanding a regular place in a possibly Premiership-bound team is not too shabby.

I have no idea what his reasons are for declaring for Ireland, but I'd be perfectly willing to give him a chance. If his heart's not in it, he won't perform to the required level and be dropped - natural selection at work.
    What a corney intro....was i the only one to chuckle at this?!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    In fairness if he uses the word "nan" to describe his granny he cant be that irish.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast