Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Simon Cox (F Western Sydney Wanderers b.1987)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    never heard of him, dont think he will make the team.
    If you have never heard of him, and therefore I assume never seen him play or have any knowledge of his ability, how can you possibly deduce he will not make the team?

Check him out he has a decent record (Highest scorer in English Leagues last season with Swindon), scored some exceptional goals and clearly does want to play for us. Unless you are advocating a total ban on 2nd G players, I suggest you allow a few relevant facts to guideyour judgement on individual cases.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    This goal in particular is brilliant

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    great goal....thanks joe
    Bring back the plank

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    In fairness if he uses the word "nan" to describe his granny he cant be that irish.
    Is that some kind of non-obvious joke?

So even though i was born and raised in Galway (with 100% Irish blood) because i was raised calling my Granny my ''Nanny'' i ain't Irish?

You call your mother/father/granny by whatever name you hear around the house
    There's the right way, the wrong way.... and the Max Power way!! :-D

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    LOL. look after one generation its stupid to keep up a past identity especially in europe. its ok in new world countries because those countries are built on immigrants but its laughable for people in scotland or england to consider themselves irish after 3 or 4 generations.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RiffRaff View Post
    Hmmmm was just about to post that he starts for WBA tonight, which is on sky, but not so bothered now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RiffRaff View Post
    So basically we are a back up for him. Good ****ing riddance.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    thats not much different to what Clinton Morrison said back in the day so doesnt bother me as long as he performs if he puts on the green
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    thats not much different to what Clinton Morrison said back in the day so doesnt bother me as long as he performs if he puts on the green
    But playing International is different... your heart has to be in it, there's no massive pay check at the end of the week. For a country like us that will always lack the talent over the bigger countries we need lads who are willing to put their bodies on the line and push themselves that bit further.

That's not to say that only truly Irish people can do that, some wouldn't, while some lads with no connection can naturally push themselves

But i personally think if you take 10 lads frm both sides, the man with the passion for the cause will push himself that little bit more.

I just don't understand how anyone who truly feels they're Irish could ever even consider the notion of playing for England given our countries long and difficult past. If the taught even crosses their minds then they have no true passion for the land, this isn't club football this is supposed to be something more

But all said and done having only one grandparent he is more English then Irish, someone like Rooney gets to me though, having come from such a strong Irish area and family

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Since when did anyone believe anything written in The Sun? I'm willing to wait and see what the guy has to say himself rather than rely on that rag.
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Some craic that he thinks he is a potential England international. He'd be a backup for us at best. What a muppet

edit: If said article is factual, it is the Sun after all I suppose

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilberto_eire View Post
    But playing International is different... your heart has to be in it, there's no massive pay check at the end of the week. For a country like us that will always lack the talent over the bigger countries we need lads who are willing to put their bodies on the line and push themselves that bit further.

That's not to say that only truly Irish people can do that, some wouldn't, while some lads with no connection can naturally push themselves

But i personally think if you take 10 lads frm both sides, the man with the passion for the cause will push himself that little bit more.

I just don't understand how anyone who truly feels they're Irish could ever even consider the notion of playing for England given our countries long and difficult past. If the taught even crosses their minds then they have no true passion for the land, this isn't club football this is supposed to be something more

But all said and done having only one grandparent he is more English then Irish, someone like Rooney gets to me though, having come from such a strong Irish area and family
    But there are plenty of example of lads who considered themselves english that gave everything for us. Townsend would be my favorite example. I remember him telling a story about watching Ireland beat England in euro 88 while he was on hols and being gutted after the match watching the irish lads in the pub celebrating. But yet when he played for us I dont think anyone could have doubted his commitment on the pitch and he was a great captain for a time
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilberto_eire View Post

ok your line of thinking causes division, rooney is from an english area with an english family. the guy has like an english tattoo. not everyone in england with irish ancestry feels a connection and a lot of people have other roots as well. the guy has an english accent fgs.

i agree about the country thing tho, even tho im not so patriotic and dont really care but when it comes to football im a nationalist.
    Last edited by irishultra; 08/01/2010 at 8:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Wouldnt believe ANYTHING i read in the sun!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    why would they make up a story about some nobody?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yapster View Post
    Rooney is English,his parents are English and supported England as a kid. Just because he has an Irish name qualifies him to play for Ireland??? If so they what about Irish born players with Anglo names,Scottish names,European names.African names and so on...
    Wayne's brother John has said he wants to play for Ireland, but hasn't been called into any squads yet, so if he qualifies, then Wayne also qualified.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    why would they make up a story about some nobody?

No idea, though if you believed everything you read in the papers, you would eat everything you see

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    i think its because his brother is a talentless hack might be the reason for that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    But there are plenty of example of lads who considered themselves english that gave everything for us. Townsend would be my favorite example.
    I never disagreed with that, i even said you can't say conclusively that just because some ones Irish they would give it their all, same as someone with no connection(some people can give it their all no matter who they play for). But i said if you took 10 from each side you would more the likely end up having more passion and commitment from the lads with a connection.

Also going back to the Charlton years, we had more talent then, the starting 11 mostly consisted of players who played for big teams, when your lacking talent(which we are now) you need work ethic and you'll get more of that from lads who WANT to be there

ok your line of thinking causes division, rooney is from an english area with an english family. the guy has like an english tattoo. not everyone in england with irish ancestry feels a connection and a lot of people have other roots as well. the guy has an english accent fgs.

i agree about the country thing tho, even tho im not so patriotic and dont really care but when it comes to football im a nationalist.
    This is an Irish part of town. All the older people, like Patricia Fitzsimons, were moved here in the slum clearances of the late1940s and 1950s. They, like thousands of Irish before them, lived in Scotty Road, as they call it. Scotty is down by the docks, the first port of call for desperate Irish emigrants who flooded Liverpool for over 100 years after the Famine.

Like its black community, Liverpool hosts the oldest Irish community in Britain and Irish immigrants and their descendents have been central to the development of the city. As Liverpool’s economic strength declined, so too did new arrivals from Ireland. Yet, even today, when only 10% of the population of England is Catholic, 60% of Croxteth’s children are baptised Catholic. They are Irish, Catholic, Evertonians and proud of it.
    http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/2007/0...-englands-gain

When i mentioned Rooney i was thinking of that article, claims he comes from a very Irish area of Liverpool.
    Seems he comes from a fairly Irish backround tbh, a predominantly Irish immigrant area with both sides of the family having Irish connections.

And I'm not denying he sees himself as English, i was saying in the general scheme of the granny rule, he would have seemed a prime candidate to want to play for us. As opposed to someone like Cox with just one grandparent and possibly an upbringing in some normal English area

Quote Originally Posted by yapster View Post
    Rooney is English,his parents are English and supported England as a kid. Just because he has an Irish name qualifies him to play for Ireland??? If so they what about Irish born players with Anglo names,Scottish names,European names.African names and so on...
    ...and to you sir....... what's the point?, you've shown yourself up again, in trying to say Rooney has no connection what so ever, you haven't a clue about any subject
    Last edited by gilberto_eire; 08/01/2010 at 9:27 PM.

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast