Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Simon Cox (F Western Sydney Wanderers b.1987)

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    fair enough
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Did anyone really think that Ireland was his first choice? If it was he'd have been in the underage squads. What he's saying is very foolish when he seems to be on the brink of an Ireland call-up though.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Lads, are we not getting a bit hot under the collar about nothing here?

Here are his quotes from the Sun article

"One of the Ireland scouts told me he was going to pass on my number to their No 2 Liam Brady.

"But if the goals and performances keep coming and the England manager ever phones, I can only say my Italian is rubbish!

"I'd be searching for the right words."

A fairly inoffensive response to a lazy Sun hacks leading question Id say.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gilberto_eire View Post

http://www.davidmcwilliams.ie/2007/0...-englands-gain

When i mentioned Rooney i was thinking of that article, claims he comes from a very Irish area of Liverpool.
    Seems he comes from a fairly Irish backround tbh, a predominantly Irish immigrant area with both sides of the family having Irish connections.

And I'm not denying he sees himself as English, i was saying in the general scheme of the granny rule, he would have seemed a prime candidate to want to play for us. As opposed to someone like Cox with just one grandparent and possibly an upbringing in some normal English area

...and to you sir....... what's the point?, you've shown yourself up again, in trying to say Rooney has no connection what so ever, you haven't a clue about any subject
    ye sorry i get you, my point was stupid but seriously i think very few english people of irish descent would select ireland with the talent rooney had at that age. just i was thinking compare winning the world cup with ireland and england. if you win world cup with england, you then can revel in that the following season amongst the fans, the buzz would be great, compare that to if ireland won, the the players would just disperse to their british clubs after. kinda anti-climax.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    202 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by yapster View Post
    Did I not say he had an Irish name? Yeah he may possibly have an Irish great-grandparent or grandparent but that does not make him Irish ffs
    In football terms, it does allow him to represent Ireland though, which is all that really matters.

What, in your opinion, are the pre-requisites for making someone Irish?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    yeah it be like saying your french because you have a name like fitzgearld.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishultra View Post
    but seriously i think very few english people of irish descent would select ireland with the talent rooney had at that age. just i was thinking compare winning the world cup with ireland and england.
    For someone of Irish decent to win just one cap for Ireland would mean more than winning the World Cup with England, if that person considers themselves Irish (In my opinion at least). Its obvious Wayne didnt really have that feeling of Irishness or desire to play for Ireland, no issue at all with that in my book.

It would be interesting to know why his brother has declared his interest in Ireland. Is it because he is Irish and if so I wonder why Wayne didnt have the same feelings or is it simply because he is crap and thougt what the hell Ill try them out. Either way I dont suppose he'll be getting capped anytime soon
    Last edited by Junior; 09/01/2010 at 10:35 AM.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    just i was thinking compare winning the world cup with ireland and england. if you win world cup with england, you then can revel in that the following season amongst the fans, the buzz would be great, compare that to if ireland won, the the players would just disperse to their british clubs after. kinda anti-climax.
    Do you honestly think that any player is concerned about the fans' reaction the next season when they go into a World Cup? What a shallow view you have of the world? As professionals I am sure that 90% of footballers would be focused on the achievment of winning the tournament - not worrying about the "buzz" with the fans.
    Last edited by EastTerracer; 09/01/2010 at 2:33 PM.
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I think as long as the player is eligible for Ireland and have a genuine desire to play for Ireland, rather than just for the purposes of furthering their career, then I have no problem with the granny rule. Can I ask, how many of us didnt celebrate St Ledgers goal against Italy with all our heart because he wasnt Irish born?? None I would say. Same would apply to Houghtons goals etc.

I wouldnt necessarily rule out a lad because he may have had a first preference for their country of birth. Both my parents are from Ireland, one from cork, one leitrim. So i cant really relate but for example if there ever had been an opportunity for me to play for leitrim I wouldve snapped at it, that doesnt mean I wouldnt have liked to play for Cork, but I certainly would give my all for leitrim.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    he means football ;0)
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Leitrim is not a foreign country....
    jesus it was pretty obvious what he ment gaaaaaaaah and those rivalries can be much bigger than those between us and the englis..
    your lack of knowledge about irishness is a disgrace!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Being born on the Island and 2nd generation Irish.

I knowit allows him to represent Ireland under the rules but the point is he is not Irish.

The Granny Rule is there to be used, and we should use it. Gary Cahill, Jamie O'Hara, Kevin Nolan, Simon Cox, Gary O'Neil, Mark Noble etc. are all players we could do with. Take Germany for example. They have Podolski, Trochowski & Klose who are Polish, Boateng and Ozil who could easily have played for Ghana and Turkey and they also have Cacau who is Brazilian. Holland have been using Surinam born players for years and France have used many African born players. Portugal have Deco, Pepe, Liedson who are Brazilian & defender Rolando is from Cape Verde, even Italy have their Argentinian Mauro Camoranesi...anyway I think I've made my point. Paul McShane or Gary Cahill? Liam Miller or Kevin Nolan? I know who I'd choose every time.
    Last edited by TrapAPony; 10/01/2010 at 1:26 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    The Granny Rule is there to be used, and we should use it. Gary Cahill, Jamie O'Hara, Kevin Nolan, Simon Cox, Gary O'Neil, Mark Noble etc. are all players we could do with. Take Germany for example. They have Podolski, Trochowski & Klose who are Polish, Boateng and Ozil who could easily have played for Ghana and Turkey and they also have Cacau who is Brazilian. Holland have been using Surinam born players for years and France have used many African born players, Portugal have Deco, Ricardo Carvalho, Pepe, Liedson who are Brazilian & defender Rolando is from Cape Verde. Paul McShane or Gary Cahill? Liam Miller or Kevin Nolan? I know who I'd choose every time.
    you forgot kevin kuranyi for germany and eduardo for croatia
    just two random players poped into my head

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    you forgot kevin kuranyi for germany and eduardo for croatia
    just two random players poped into my head
    Deco for Portugal doesnt even have Portugese family, just playing for them from the residency rule

Now that I think of it, even the great Eusebio was african playing for Portugal.Other countries have been making use of this rule long before us so we would be stupid not to with the amount of Irish that have left the country over the years
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    ye sorry i get you, my point was stupid but seriously i think very few english people of irish descent would select ireland with the talent rooney had at that age. just i was thinking compare winning the world cup with ireland and england. if you win world cup with england, you then can revel in that the following season amongst the fans, the buzz would be great, compare that to if ireland won, the the players would just disperse to their british clubs after. kinda anti-climax.

getting a little ahead of yourself there I think....2014 World Cup headline: Ireland win World Cup - Lawrence regrets Ireland opt due to lack of buzz from fans in Stoke
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapAPony View Post
    The Granny Rule is there to be used, and we should use it. Gary Cahill, Jamie O'Hara, Kevin Nolan, Simon Cox, Gary O'Neil, Mark Noble etc. are all players we could do with. Take Germany for example. They have Podolski, Trochowski & Klose who are Polish, Boateng and Ozil who could easily have played for Ghana and Turkey and they also have Cacau who is Brazilian. Holland have been using Surinam born players for years and France have used many African born players. Portugal have Deco, Ricardo Carvalho, Pepe, Liedson who are Brazilian & defender Rolando is from Cape Verde, even Italy have their Argentinian Mauro Camoranesi...anyway I think I've made my point. Paul McShane or Gary Cahill? Liam Miller or Kevin Nolan? I know who I'd choose every time.
    I think it's sad that Ireland cannot produce enough players of quality to have a genuine Irish side and have to rely on foreign to give them a chance of success on the field..
    I think it's sad that Germany cannot produce enough players of quality to have a genuine German side and have to rely on foreign to give them a chance of success on the field.
    I think it's sad that France cannot produce enough players of quality to have a genuine French side and have to rely on foreign to give them a chance of success on the field.
    I think it's sad that Holland cannot produce enough players of quality to have a genuine Dutch side and have to rely on foreign to give them a chance of success on the field.
    I think it's sad that Portugal cannot produce enough players of quality to have a genuine Portugese side and have to rely on foreign to give them a chance of success on the field.

Now, im speaking your language there so maybe you will acknowledge and "get" the point that TrapAPony made.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    I think it's sad that Germany cannot produce enough players of quality to have a genuine German side and have to rely on foreign to give them a chance of success on the field.
    I think it's sad that France cannot produce enough players of quality to have a genuine French side and have to rely on foreign to give them a chance of success on the field.
    I think it's sad that Holland cannot produce enough players of quality to have a genuine Dutch side and have to rely on foreign to give them a chance of success on the field.
    I think it's sad that Portugal cannot produce enough players of quality to have a genuine Portugese side and have to rely on foreign to give them a chance of success on the field.

Now, im speaking your language there so maybe you will acknowledge and "get" the point that TrapAPony made.

Klose is more like Darren Gibson than Ray Houghton. Where Klose is from it used to be a German territory. Podolski grew up in Germany.

I can't think of any Dutch players who are foreign.

Portugal have Deco and that is it.

It can't be denied that Ireland have taken the granny rule thing and ran with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    who is denying it IU?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Where Klose is from it used to be a German territory. Podolski grew up in Germany.

I can't think of any Dutch players who are foreign.

Portugal have Deco and that is it.

It can't be denied that Ireland have taken the granny rule thing and ran with it.
    Used to be German territory - ffs, in that case there is a fair chunk of western Europe that would meet this description!

Below is a list of foreign born players who were named in their national squads for Euro 2008. Now can we please stop this crap.....

Croatia
    Josip Šimunić - Australia
    Robert Kovač - Germany
    Niko Kovač - Germany
    Ivan Klasnić - Germany
    Ivan Rakitić - Switzerland
    Vedran Ćorluka - Yugoslavia (Bos-Herz)
    Mladen Petrić - Yugoslavia (Bos-Herz)

France
    Jean-Alain Boumsong - Cameroon
    Florent Malouda - French Guiana [1]
    Lilian Thuram - Guadeloupe [1]
    Steve Mandanda - Zaire (DR Congo)
    Claude Makélélé - Zaire (DR Congo)
    Patrice Evra - Senegal
    Patrick Vieira - Senegal

Germany
    Kevin Kurányi - Brazil
    Miroslav Klose - Poland
    Piotr Trochowski - Poland
    Lukas Podolski - Poland
    Oliver Neuville - Switzerland

Portugal
    Pepe - Brazil
    Deco - Brazil
    Nani - Cape Verde
    José Bosingwa - Zaire (DR Congo)
    Petit - France

Switzerland
    Gelson Fernandes - Cape Verde
    Johan Vonlanthen - Colombia
    Johan Djourou - Cote d'Ivoire
    Valon Behrami - Yugoslavia (Kosovo)
    Eldin Jakupović - Yugoslavia (Bos-Herz)

Turkey
    Mehmet Aurélio - Brazil
    Colin Kazim-Richards - England
    Mevlüt Erdinç - France
    Hakan Balta - Germany
    Hamit Altintop - Germany

Austria
    Ronald Gërçaliu - Albania
    Ivica Vastić - Yugoslavia (Croatia)
    Martin Harnik - Germany
    György Garics - Hungary

Italy
    Mauro Camoranesi - Argentina
    Simone Perrotta - England

Spain
    Marcos Senna - Brazil

Greece
    Loukas Vyntra - Czech Republic

Poland
    Roger Guerreiro - Brazil

Sweden
    Tobias Linderoth - France

Czech Republic
    NONE

Netherlands
    NONE

Romania
    NONE

Russia
    NONE
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Irelands abuse of this crazy rule is disgraceful and an insult to genuine Irish supporters. Charltons teams at times had 7 or 8 foreign players on the pitch in some games.
    I'd like to think I'm a "genuine Irish supporter" as you put it - haven't missed a game in Dublin since 1983 and plenty of away trips to go along with that. I can assure you that I am not one bit insulted by this. I am born and bred in Dublin but have stood proudly alongside 2nd and 3rd generation Irish supporters on the terraces as well as supporting them on the pitch.

You've been on this site for a couple of months now spouting your purity nonsense yet you have described yourself as Irish-American. I think we'd all be very interested to know how you can describe yourself as Irish and American while holding your views that many of these players are not Irish.

Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast