Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Salthill Devon promoted?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    I hear Devon have purchased a stand and it will be in place for the start of the season.
    Looks like they are readying for the 1st Division.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    Can the FAI magically create or force a better geographic spread of clubs interested in joining the A League ? No.
    They could do it for the Premier; why not the A League?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    I'm not sure what you wanted them to actually do here though.
    I wanted them not to put the league in this situation in the first place.

Is the introduction of a feeder system for the senior league broadly a positive development for Irish football ? Yes.
    Agreed, I didn't say it wasn't.

Can the FAI magically create or force a better geographic spread of clubs interested in joining the A League ? No.
    Yes but they didn't have to accept all clubs that applied. For the most part it would be unwise to them not to but not in this scenario.
    "If you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime,"
    “Crikey, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea,"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    I hear Devon have purchased a stand and it will be in place for the start of the season.
    Looks like they are readying for the 1st Division.
    Not true. I have a friend who lives 100 meters from Drom and he and his fellow neighbours are watching every move the Salthill Devon make.

When the club originally purchased the land, the planning process was prolonged by the neighbours. The end result was that there could never be a bar, restriction times on floodlight usage, traffic restrictions etc. The neighbours don't want a stand in Drom and they are monitoring every move that the club make.

Interestingly, Drom is not in Salthill; in fact it is not even in Galway city. Galway County Council are governing council.

Meanwhile in Salthill itself, the GAA operated Pearse Stadium has been wrangled in a long running battle with local residents over the plans to erect floodlight pylons. http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=122200

I don't recall any such woes when any of the other many floodlit facilities in Galway were installing floodlights.
    Last edited by Paddyfield; 07/01/2010 at 11:39 PM.
    Nobody knows us, we don't care

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Doesn't sound like a suitable venue for LOI football then despite the pitches etc. You have to have some sort of stand and spectator facilities. I said this on here before some place but as a youngster I played in Drom and it was probably the coldest place I ever played. The wind is seriously strong there. Even colder than Bray which is saying something.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddyfield View Post
    Not true. I have a friend who lives 100 meters from Drom and he and his fellow neighbours are watching every move the Salthill Devon make.

When the club originally purchased the land, the planning process was prolonged by the neighbours. The end result was that there could never be a bar, restriction times on floodlight usage, traffic restrictions etc. The neighbours don't want a stand in Drom and they are monitoring every move that the club make.

Interestingly, Drom is not in Salthill; in fact it is not even in Galway city. Galway County Council are governing council.

Meanwhile in Salthill itself, the GAA operated Pearse Stadium has been wrangled in a long running battle with local residents over the plans to erect floodlight pylons. http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=122200

I don't recall any such woes when any of the other many floodlit facilities in Galway were installing floodlights.
    So, if Salthill were to play in the first division it would have to be out of Terryland?
    If so does this mean that Galway United will have 3rd preference on the ground?
    It all sounds very messy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    99 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    So, if Salthill were to play in the first division it would have to be out of Terryland?
    If so does this mean that Galway United will have 3rd preference on the ground?
    It all sounds very messy.
    3rd? gufc have always got first preference above all else? the galway fa are more involved with gufc than any junior league team. I may be wrong but I think the galway fa have 2 seats on the board of gufc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    3rd? gufc have always got first preference above all else? the galway fa are more involved with gufc than any junior league team. I may be wrong but I think the galway fa have 2 seats on the board of gufc.
    Are Salthill and Mervue not affiliated members of the Galway FA? Would that not give them first preference on the ground?
    Im just asking not stating that it's true btw.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Mervue and Salthill are more entitled to use terryland than Galway are as they pay more into the Galway FA and have a greater share in the Galway FA, but last year anyway Galway United got first choice as they have been there longer than Mervue were. Thats what a friend of mine told me last year anyway, and he is involved with Mervue!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by athloneman View Post
    Mervue and Salthill are more entitled to use terryland than Galway are as they pay more into the Galway FA and have a greater share in the Galway FA, but last year anyway Galway United got first choice as they have been there longer than Mervue were. Thats what a friend of mine told me last year anyway, and he is involved with Mervue!!
    Oh well, can we use Athlone's new stadium so?

Interestingly, Garda riot squad are already preparing for the Galway derby when Mervue and Salthill go head to head next season.
    Nobody knows us, we don't care

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    im not sure if its 100% true but that what i was told, and he said that info came from some within the galway fa!!i would love to go to that game, was at teh a league game between them in mervue 2 years ago and the crowd was getting right into it, and it was a feisty game!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    They could do it for the Premier; why not the A League?
    Really ?

I assume you're referring to Galway being kept there at the expense of Dundalk, which is hardly the same as sticking a pin in the map and magicking up a new club out of thin air in the name of regional balance, as is the perennial sentiment from some on here.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Plus the fact that Galway United had to pay way more rent for Terryalnd last year than Mervue. Can't see the Galway FA kicking us out as it would mean a potential loss of income

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Really ?

I assume you're referring to Galway being kept there at the expense of Dundalk, which is hardly the same as sticking a pin in the map and magicking up a new club out of thin air in the name of regional balance, as is the perennial sentiment from some on here.
    They were put there, not kept there.. Although it's not the same thing as making up a club to give a better regional balance, the IAG process does show that the FAI do (or at least did) consider geography to be a relevant factor.

Population densities were taken into account to assess potential catchment areas for clubs in scoring the attendance section of the IAG process. Altogether this section accounted for 10% of the points.

It just shows what a complete waste of time the IAG process was. The FAI wanted the clubs with the potential for the largest fan bases in the Premier Division and yet three years down the line we end up with UCD and Sporting Fingal in the Premier along with 3 other Dublin clubs (and possibly also Shelbourne if Cork go under) and we get the model club of the IAG process Galway United having two new league clubs right on their doorstep to compete with.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    They were put there, not kept there.. Although it's not the same thing as making up a club to give a better regional balance, the IAG process does show that the FAI do (or at least did) consider geography to be a relevant factor.

Population densities were taken into account to assess potential catchment areas for clubs in scoring the attendance section of the IAG process. Altogether this section accounted for 10% of the points.

It just shows what a complete waste of time the IAG process was. The FAI wanted the clubs with the potential for the largest fan bases in the Premier Division and yet three years down the line we end up with UCD and Sporting Fingal in the Premier along with 3 other Dublin clubs (and possibly also Shelbourne if Cork go under) and we get the model club of the IAG process Galway United having two new league clubs right on their doorstep to compete with.
    fingal have massive potential? amd sure ucd should let students of the collage in for 2E or somthing? might get a few more in

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    105 Posts
    All the best to Salthill next year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    I'm not familiar with the details but I'd be surprised if Salthill didn't take the oppurtunity of first division football.

They may never get the chance again and if it doesn't work out they can always go back to Junior football.
    I'm what? I'm ants at a picnic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    Galway United have first call on the use of Terryland Park. Last season, when there was a fixture clash, Mervue changed their fixture to Saturday evening.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    if i had somthing to do with the running of salthill i'd take the chance.. if they do well and ome ahead of mervue theres always the possibility mervue could go back junior also so its worth the chance for a season yet.. by next season aftter this one there could easily only be 2 teams again possibly 1 so let them have their chance i say..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    Unless Mervue improve significantly on the second half of last season, they'll be favourites for relegation with no Kildare, more so if Salthill provide more competition for players. The three Galway teams in the league could well only last for one season.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast