Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: David Meyler

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    So what is the extent of Meyler's injury at this point, any word? I mean 'knee" could mean a lot of things. Knee cap like Terry Dixon? (God Forbid.) Ligament problem that will cost him 12 months? Or just a deep painful bruise? Or somewhere in between?
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

International Prospect outspoken's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    819 Posts
    By the looks of things I would imagine Ligaments as there was a clear twist of the knee but no official word as of yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    It's a tough break for Meyler and for us, just at such an opportune time to get into the squad before a campaign.

I haven't seen Andrews play but at least he has been a solid regular for Blackburn.
    I doubt if anything will change with Trap's CM, at least to start with.
    Considering the choice now with all games being streamed, McCarthy is my default first choice to watch. He is an understated talent and only going in one direction.
    I think he will make the Euro Qual squad and will gradually make his way into the first team like Duff did in the 02 WC qual campaign.
    I agree 100%, I was saying something similar in the training camp thread. Even if he impresses Trap in the camp and friendlies I can't see him starting the first few games in the campaign.
    I reckon if both fit he will stick with Whelan and Andrews to start with and then if McCarthy gets a few compettive subs appearances under his belt he could play his way into the starting line-up.
    Like you have been all saying a choice of Whelan and Andrews after the experience of a qualifying campaign with Gibson, Meyler, McCarthy and S. Reid, if he gets his fitness back, is a hell of a lot more encouraging than this time 2 years ago. I'm also still hoping that McCann and Garvan can come up to speed in the next year or two; both seem to be around for years but are still very young. Now all we have to hope for is that a decent left back comes out of the woodwork and Stokes and Best deliver on their promise.
    Last edited by Irish_Praha; 04/05/2010 at 3:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    So what is the extent of Meyler's injury at this point, any word? I mean 'knee" could mean a lot of things. Knee cap like Terry Dixon? (God Forbid.) Ligament problem that will cost him 12 months? Or just a deep painful bruise? Or somewhere in between?
    I would say looking at the mechanism of injury that it's a likely anterior cruciate ligament rupture. The medial collateral ligament and the lateral meniscus are often also damaged in an ACL rupture, which would lengthen the recovery period. I think that owing to the severity of his pain, with him needing entonox coming off the pitch, that it looks like at least an ACL rupture, with the possibility of further knee damage.
    I think we're looking at 9-12 months, which takes us up to February 2011 at the earliest.
    Criticism is prejudice made plausible

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    I was wondering where The Doc went to! : )

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Really feel for Meyler. It'll take him time after his injury to earn back his place and longer to rediscover his best form As he was still learning the ropes at EPL level he'll still be raw about the edges when he comes back. Assuming it is an ACL injury that's a year missing at a crucial strage in his development. There's never a good time to get injured but a couple of years down the line would have been better.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I suppose he's not in too bad a situation at Sunderland - they have Cana and Cattermole already, so they probably won't bring in any more ball-winning midfielders.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Confirmed rupture ligament for Meyler: http://www.safc.com/news/20100505/me...256213_2043698
    He won't be playing football again this side of Christmas, get well soon David
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Confirmed rupture ligament for Meyler: http://www.safc.com/news/20100505/me...256213_2043698
    He won't be playing football again this side of Christmas, get well soon David
    Is this a similar injury to the one Terry Dixon got?
    I have a head only Snow White would love

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greendeiseboy View Post
    Is this a similar injury to the one Terry Dixon got?
    from what I remember, Terry Dixon's problems were more to do with his kneecap?
    A cruciate tear is what Roy Keane, Niall Quinn and Alan Shearer have all suffered from. Nine months is the standard recovery period.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Hopefully by the time WC Quals rolls around, he will be playing again at full speed. 9 months to a year of recovery & Physical Therapy, then another year trying to work his way back in and be consistant if recent history of our fringe players in England is any indication.... After we miss Euro 2012 in heart breaking fashion, he will be one of the players that is in the plans of whoever the new manager is moving forward...

In the meantime maybe SI will come back. (Kidding,kidding.)
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Does it still take 9 months to a year these days.

Or is that wishful thinking on my behalf.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    horrible, horrible luck for the lad. A real shame as i had high hopes for him based on the last couple of months. We can only hope and pray his career doesnt go the same way as poor Colin Healy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    As I thought, he's not only done his ACL, but also torn his medial collateral ligament.

He's expected to be out for a year now
    Criticism is prejudice made plausible

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Does it still take 9 months to a year these days.

Or is that wishful thinking on my behalf.
    did the cruciate myself twice a number of years ago. the problem can be that when the knee buckles at the time the ligament goes it can do all sorts of damage to cartilage and other ligaments. my physio boasted that he had someone back running three months after the op but usually best case is about 5 months or so. hate to be downbeat but the knee is never the same again and most people will have related problems with hip, hamstring etc as a result for the rest of their playing days.

i would think he will be out for 12 months and then face a period of picking up related injuries for a while
    Last edited by jbyrne; 07/05/2010 at 1:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Meyler's own Facebook Status Update: "David Meyler My operation went very very well the Surgeon said so I'll be back in no time, you wait and see...thanks again for all the texts means an awful lot when you down and out!"
    As good news as he could get, already sounds determined to be back asap... Best we could all hope for thus far...

18. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Was reading on Aertel last night that Steve Bruce said that the injury was as bad as it could possibly be. The extent of the damage that was revealed when the surgeon opened the knee up has shocked everyone at the club but that the damage was all repaired. Really sounds like he is in for a long hard comeback, hope he is able to make a full recovery and as some else said doesnt end up like Colin Healy
    Its really not that complicated!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Sunderland surprisingly sold Cana yesterday.. Just wondering if it's an indication of the faith Bruce has in him as a player and more importantly his faith in his recovery and prognosis.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It's probably more to do with Bruce having just signed Riveros from Paraguay. Cana was offered Champions League football in a country much closer to home, so Bruce probably just cut his losses and took a tidy profit on the transfer. He was a yellow card machine anyway which should make for a hilarious record in the CL.

Future looks bright for Meyler in any case if he recovers properly from his injury.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    They didn't make any profit on the transfer, they bought him for five million pounds last summer and sold him for the same amount.

Page 6 of 46 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast