Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: David Meyler

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    He's a Trap-type player. He's big, strong, tackles hard, plays the ball simply and works very hard. I'd be very surprised and disappointed if he didn't get into the squad, especially given that he was picked for the games in May. It'll be a big test for Trap in February - Whelan and Andrews are out of favour at their clubs (injury hasn't helped Andrews, in fairness), and both are likely to drop a division if they do move. Gibson isn't doing anything at United, and Green is Green. I'd be very angry if McCarthy (if fit) and Meyler were overlooked in Feb, especially if both are starting for their clubs.

I haven't been bothered about Trap omitting the likes of Andy Reid, Delap and Ward - but if these two lads are left out, I genuinely think Trap would be shooting himself in the foot. They would fit right in to the system and greatly improve the team, fixing our long-standing Achilles heel in the centre.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme feet View Post
    He's a Trap-type player. He's big, strong, tackles hard, plays the ball simply and works very hard. I'd be very surprised and disappointed if he didn't get into the squad, especially given that he was picked for the games in May. It'll be a big test for Trap in February - Whelan and Andrews are out of favour at their clubs (injury hasn't helped Andrews, in fairness), and both are likely to drop a division if they do move. Gibson isn't doing anything at United, and Green is Green. I'd be very angry if McCarthy (if fit) and Meyler were overlooked in Feb, especially if both are starting for their clubs.

I haven't been bothered about Trap omitting the likes of Andy Reid, Delap and Ward - but if these two lads are left out, I genuinely think Trap would be shooting himself in the foot. They would fit right in to the system and greatly improve the team, fixing our long-standing Achilles heel in the centre.
    Agree 100% on all points. Also, McCarthy and Meyler are relative youngsters who can only get better. Perhaps much better. Andrews, Green and the like...not so much. I imagine Meyler in particular matches the specifications of Trap's ideal central midfielder and I genuinely believe he'd have consigned Paul Green to obscurity if that bad injury hadn't occured when it did.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    It's extremely frustrating that Meyler and McCarthy, Clark and Duffy weren't a couple of years older. I mean, the question is that these guys might have enough experience in the next 1/2 years to make a big impact on our squad, by which stage our veteran players might be a bit too old to do it again for us. Imagine if that quality of player had have come through 2/3 years ago, in the WC 2010 campaign we could have had those four players in a team with Shay Given, Richard Dunne, Damien Duff and Robbie Keane still all on fire. In two years time when the new four youngsters will be regulars, I'm not sure how many of the latter four will still be effective options. Frustrating in the extreme.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post
    It's extremely frustrating that Meyler and McCarthy, Clark and Duffy weren't a couple of years older. I mean, the question is that these guys might have enough experience in the next 1/2 years to make a big impact on our squad, by which stage our veteran players might be a bit too old to do it again for us. Imagine if that quality of player had have come through 2/3 years ago, in the WC 2010 campaign we could have had those four players in a team with Shay Given, Richard Dunne, Damien Duff and Robbie Keane still all on fire. In two years time when the new four youngsters will be regulars, I'm not sure how many of the latter four will still be effective options. Frustrating in the extreme.
    We also have Coleman and Clifford coming through so that's potentially 6 top Premiership players minus injuries or some of them failing to make the grade which let's be honest has happened before on more than one occasion. But imo thats the most promising set of youngsters coming through at the one time in a long time.

Also consider Treacy, McCann, Robbie Brady, Scannell and/or Stokes could possibly make the step up. As always though we'll need to wait and see.
    Last edited by youngirish; 13/12/2010 at 4:59 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    So Elroy would you say at this point Meyler will get on the field for Ireland in Feb? Or is it more likely he is named to the squad but stays on the bench? Or not in the squad at all? If you had to say right now what would you say?
    As of right now, I dont see Trap including him in the squad at all to be honest. I think he would need to get a good run of games behind him before Trap will consider him. Trap has shown himself by and large loyal to what he has. With a good few months and end of season I could see him included for a friendly in March or June.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Interesting discussion lads.
    Not to get off topic but also Interesting to see that some fans rate Coleman and some don't rate him at all.
    As for age Jicked, nothing we can do about that! Can't sweat it though of course I see your point.
    It will be good for 2014 if all these young fellas hit their stride within the next 2 years...2014 sounds like a long way off but we all know it is right around the corner.
    Not to beat a dead horse, everyone has said it but if Cliffy, Meyler, McCarthy, and Duffy can stay healthy maybe just maybe there are good times ahead?
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jicked View Post
    That's always going to be a problem really considering our size, available player pool etc. Frustrating alright. I s'pose we were lucky enough that Keane and Duffer came off the assembly line together and peaked while the likes of Keane (senior) were still around.

Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Not to beat a dead horse, everyone has said it but if Cliffy, Meyler, McCarthy, and Duffy can stay healthy maybe just maybe there are good times ahead?
    There's a clutch of them there alright that we've every reason to be optimistic about. As long as it doesn't disintegrate into disappointment. You can only see guys like McCarthy, Coleman, Clark and Meyler pushing on and improving though. And they're regulars already. I remember once upon a time hearing great things about a fella called Partridge who at the time was the greatest thing nobody had seen play.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Jason Gavin, Barry Quinn and Sean Thornton were all Premiership regulars for a season or so, and never made the grade. We'll just have to wait and see- though I think McCarthy and Meyler have become firmly established at their clubs.

As for the question of 'Will Trap pick McCarthy and Meyler', it could break either way. Experience shouldn't be an issue for Trap, as he threw Darron Gibson in from nowhere for his first competitive start when he was 21. Also, he showed faith in Whelan, Andrews, St. Ledger and Green in competitive games despite their lack of top-level experience. Regardless of age, DM and JMcC are our best central midfielders at the moment; they fit into Trap's requirements for the position, and should be in the team next year. If he keeps faith in our current central midfielders, it really would be a case of misplaced loyalty, as the midfield has badly faltered in the qualifiers up until now.

However, Trap has shown his willingness to keep a settled team, and with only one friendly between now and Macedonia in Lansdowne, we might well see Whelan and Andrews/Green/Fahey in place for that one. After that, we have three friendlies before the return in Skopje, and I'd be shocked if Trap didn't give the lads some game time then. If they're as good as we think they are, they'll grab their chance.

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    I think the importance of having managers with strong Irish links is important for lads to be given a chance. We may not all like them but its no coincidence that two of the clubs in the UK with the biggest Irish contingent, Wolves and Ipswich are managed by ex Irish internationals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    If Meyler stays injury free, I'd be pretty confident that he'll feature for the national side sooner rather than later. He is the type of midfielder that Trapattoni prefers in a central midfield role. The fact that he is a big lad won't count against him either.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho View Post
    I remember once upon a time hearing great things about a fella called Partridge who at the time was the greatest thing nobody had seen play.
    I remember him too quit all together and became the lead singer of XTC. Think its the same guy.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    I think the importance of having managers with strong Irish links is important for lads to be given a chance. We may not all like them but its no coincidence that two of the clubs in the UK with the biggest Irish contingent, Wolves and Ipswich are managed by ex Irish internationals.
    I think the jury's still out on whether the Ipswich manager has a positive influence on Irish players. That said, he spotted the potential in Meyler before he'd even played a league game for Cork and has been vindicated to date.

If Meyler stays injury free, I'd be pretty confident that he'll feature for the national side sooner rather than later. He is the type of midfielder that Trapattoni prefers in a central midfield role. The fact that he is a big lad won't count against him either.
    I actually thought about this last night during one of Andy Gray's rare comprehensible points during his post-match analysis of Arsenal-Man Utd. Fletcher won a flick-on in midfield in the lead-up to Park's goal and it's something the Irish team can't really do with the small lads in midfield (and despite his height Andrews doesn't seem to go for headers). If we're going to insist on playing long balls Meyler would at least give us an option other than Doyle Doyle Doyle.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Bruce has revealed Meyler got a knock on the knee against Fulham so they're wrapping him in cotton wool. Won't face Man United on Sunday.

http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/...ford_1_2878238

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Fortunately, he says it's nothing serious. I'd welcome news regarding a breakthrough in Iran's nuclear programme more than developments with Meyler's knee at this point in time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Meyler came on for Sunderland at Old Trafford with about 20 minutes to go. His first involvement was to knock Park Ji-Sung to the ground with a flailing forearm, and he got booked for scything down Rafael a few minutes later. Excellent to see the injury hasn't diminished his naturally combative game!

17. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Starts today against Blackpool. Hopefully he can cement his place in the centre of midfield alongside Cattermole. Not many teams would fancy lining up against those pair in midfield. Not many opponents will be braving it without the shinpads I'd say

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Didnt see any of the game other than the goals, but he was replaced shortly after Bpool opened the scoring. Judging by the stats, Sunderland were by far and away the better team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Played 90 minutes today for the first time in 9 months in a 3-0 win at home to Blackburn.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Didnt see the game but he had an excellent game by all accounts. In the running for man of the match:

http://www.readytogo.net/smb/showthr...=553419&page=2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Cattermole out for a month too so he might be pressed into 90 minutes more than Bruce had planned.

Page 12 of 46 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast