Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Fenlon for Dundee United?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I'm not surpriosed he wants out of this league. Its a joke shop at this stage. SPL is a bigger league, more exposure, more money, better grounds (though possibly not a hugely better caliber of player in the main). Most importantly the club is in good shape. Massively better shape than the state Dunfermline were in when Kenny joined them. The fact that they are not a basket case and challenging for a european spot would be major attractions to Fenlon.

He has done everything he needs to do here and he has been outspoken many times about the shambolic way the league is run. With his sucess he is going to be linked with jobs across the water. A massive loss to Bohs if he goes but a opportunity he definately could not refuse IF he is offered. Therefore I believe he will take it if the position is offered to him. However it seems to be far from clear cut the more reports you read.

Re a previous post about his loyalty to the club. If he stayed with Bohs and delivered another league title, I dont think many bohs fans woud give a curse he was applying for/linked with other positions during the season. Just like it hasnt bothered them to date. He has shown his loyalty by winning 2 titles and getting the best out of his side consistently. Thats what counts. Sucessful people will always be in demand. Good luck to him.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BYCTWD View Post
    I was more commenting on his lack of discretion in applying for jobs. To me, thats whats 'disloyal' about it. He is clearly spinning for whatever reason.
    Fact is he has done it on the pitch for Bohs. Cant show much more loyalty to the club than that. If he wants to move up a level you cant really blame him - especially given this league is now a farce. Bohs fans seem to have accepted that it comes with the territory so maybe you shouldn't worry too much about his 'disloyalty' to the club and their supporters. I'm sure they appreciate your concern though

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Bohs are in serious trouble if he gos.
    Lets redefine what it means to heal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    387 Posts
    Sean Connor is looking for a job....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    http://sport.stv.tv/football/scottis...-managers-job/

Bohemians agree for their manager to speak to the SPL club over becoming Craig Levein's replacement.
    I’m not pedantic...I’m merely overly concerned with minute details.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blue til i die View Post

Bohemians agree for their manager to speak to the SPL club over becoming Craig Levein's replacement.
    Would say in that case then it'll be a done deal.

Best of luck
    Kom Igen, FCK...

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Réiteoir View Post
    Would say in that case then it'll be a done deal.

Best of luck

Looks like it. Bad news for Bohs good news for the rest of the league.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Latest reportage from Scottish Evening Telegraph

Fenlon won’t come cheap
    Irish champions Bohemians are prepared to fight to hang on their manager should Dundee United make any attempt to lure the highly-rated Pat Fenlon to Tannadice (write Tom Duthie and Graeme Finnan).
    Multi-title winner Fenlon was one of the men Tangerines chairman Stephen Thompson held talks with during a flying visit to England yesterday.
    There has been speculation the other interviewee was former United and Scotland midfielder Billy McKinlay, though that has not been confirmed by the club.

While it should be stressed the two are among a number of possible replacements for Craig Levein, Bohemians have wasted no time in saying they would not welcome any approaches for their man.

Gerry Conway, the Dublin outfit’s chief executive, has made that clear and it’s understood they would demand sizeable compensation for a man who is regarded by many as a future Ireland manager.

“As far as Bohemians Football Club are concerned, Pat is committed to a long-term contract and we expect him to be in charge for the new season,” said Conway.

“Pat is currently on holiday and we haven’t been contacted by Dundee United or any other club with regard to speaking to him.

“Everything is in place for Pat to continue his success for next season as we have agreed terms with several players and have ambitions to win more silverware as we will be involved in the Premier Division, FAI Cup, EA Sports Cup, Setanta Sports Cup as well as being in Europe.

“It is not that surprising other clubs are interested in Pat, as he is an excellent manager.

“Any manager who wins five league trophies in seven seasons has to be a target for other clubs, but he still has three years to run on his current deal and we expect to start the new season with him in charge.”

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Would be interested to see the timing of that Gerry Conway interview. I assume it was last night or this morning. Subsequently he obviously has given his permission - when faced with the inevitible. The whole point of the interview was purely postering for compo which is all Bohs can do.

I assume a deal has been done with Fenlon already - hence the need to now go down the official road. That seems to be the way things are done now days and in reality there is nothing clubs can do to stop it happening.

I wonder is there 100K in it for Bohs or am I being too ambitious?

This has thrown the cat amoung the pigeons now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    for a man who is regarded by many as a future Ireland manager.
    Does anyone actually think that?
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    Have you seen how many steps there will be on the way into the Aviva?

His little legs would not be able to handle it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    balls.

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    I'd actually suggest changing the thread title to Fenlon/O'Neill for Dundee United?. Or even Bohs v. Rovers, who's better?.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Dundee United to speak to Pat Fenlon over manager's job

Bohemians have given their manager permission to speak to the SPL club, subject to a financial agreement should he take the United job.

Dundee United have made an approach for Bohemians manager Pat Fenlon to take over at Tannadice, STV Sport understands. The Irish League champions, who won their second consecutive league crown under Fenlon in November, have agreed the Scottish clubs request, subject to a financial package being negotiated should United choose to offer him the job.

Fenlon has now been installed as the front runner in the race to replace now Scotland manager Craig Levein. Should he reject the chance to take his first managerial job away from the League of Ireland, United’s shortlist is also believed to comprise of Raith Rovers boss John McGlynn, former player Billy McKinlay - now coaching at Fulham - and Shamrock Rovers manager Michael O'Neill.

It is believed he held talks with United chairman Stephen Thompson in London on Monday and – with current caretaker Peter Houston having declared no interest in taking over the post – Fenlon is set to step in.
    Former Chelsea trainee Fenlon, 40, started his managerial career with Shelbourne in 2002 and – after finishing second in his first season – took them to three league titles in the next four years.

He was tempted away by Derry City at the end of the 2006 season but lasted just five months in charge after a string of poor results and was replaced by former Hearts boss John Robertson.

Bohemians then approached him to become their manager at the end of 2007 and he had an instant impact, winning a league and cup double in 2008 and then reclaiming the league title last year.

During his time at Shelbourne, he took them to within one game of qualifying for the 2004 Uefa Champions League, defeating Croatian side Hajduk Split in the second qualifying round, setting up a game with La Liga side Deportivo La Coruna. The Shels then recorded a remarkable 0-0 draw with the Spaniards in the home leg, before Depor won 3-0 in the return leg.

Fenlon was previously linked with replacing Paul Lambert in the Livingston job in 2006 but was pipped by Robertson, his successor at Derry.

Last updated: 05 January 2010, 14:42

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Fenlon to Dundee United

http://www.tribalfootball.com/bohemi...dee-utd-553141

Looks like Bohs will be looking for a new manager.

Is there not someone in Cork/Malta looking around thats not under any contract...????????
    Kildare County RIP

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    first ive heard...

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,220 Posts
    Already being discussed. Thread moved. And thread title updated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    I understand the film Face/Off is an edited version of this recruitment process.

[This is not the thread I posted in.]
    Last edited by HarpoJoyce; 05/01/2010 at 4:39 PM.
    " I'll go right up to here,
    it can't possibly hurt.
    All they will find is my
    beer and my shirt."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weecountyman View Post
    It would be a pretty decent stamp for the LOI if he did go to Dundee United. They're a club with a strong tradition and decent financial set up, that they are interested in signing him makes our league look better, if only a little.
    I can't agree with your logic here.

Did the transfers of Roy Keane, Paul McGrath etc make the league look any better in real terms ? Did people start *****ing up their ears to our league once McCourt, Doyle and Fahey appeared in Britain ?

Even if we could bask in reflected glory from such a managerial move, it would pale into complete insignificance next to the steamy pile of poo the league has managed to get itself into over the last 12 months.

It'll take more than a little known LOI manager joining a make-weight Scottish club for the LOI to look good I'm afraid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Originally Posted by Dalymountrower
    for a man who is regarded by many as a future Ireland manager.
    I do love the way the Scottish press have mentioned his U-23 Irish job as a sign of his 'international experience' rather than suggesting he knows how to organise a week long tapping-up fest!

Would be a hammer blow to Bohs to lose Fenlon at this stage of the pre-season. Very few good managerial options in Ireland, they'd really have to look abroad to find a top class manager in the way Rovers did, and with the uncertainty surrounding their set-up it would be extremely difficult to convince such a coach of moving country for the medium term in the way Rovers could with MON.
    I'd expect Paul Cook to be linked with the job (though I don't rate him at all, he'd be a respectable enough name to present when there's very few of those even in the LoI, and has shown at Sligo he's ok at working within a sometimes ambiguous budget) Bohs to look in-house for a replacement which is a big gamble, and a player-manager didn't work out too well for them last time out.

However i have a hunch Fenlon will stay at Bohs.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast