Thread: 10 Best Irish Prospects 21 & Under

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Ridiculously good predictions.
    I do think that the group we have coming through are a few levels above that group so I would expect that we will get a better success rate with.
    Ive been following ireland closely since the mid 1990s, and I definitely agree that this is the best group of youngsters we’ve ever had coming through. I remember a poster recently saying on here that this batch may produce up to 10 internationals, which was quickly dampened down by others given the historical examples littered throughout this thread.

The current batch are different for a number of reasons:

1. They are older, more advanced in their development and playing at a higher level. Kerrs kids were under 16 and under 18, so much can change in those years of development so little surprise so few made it to a reasonable level. We never did anything at under 21 level before and only had 3 to 4 very good to excellent prospects at a time. Many of our current crop: Connolly, Obafemi, Molumby, T O’Connor, Ronan, Elbouzedi, Scales, McNamara, are already playing regular first team football, a few more are dipping their toes and should get more exposure be it on loan or with their parent club in the coming months: Parrott, Kelleher, Travers, N Collins, O’Shea, Idah. And there are many more who need some luck to kick start their senior careers in the near future but I expect a few of them to do so: the Celtic 5, Coventry, Masterson, etc. In addition, several of our talented under 19s and 17s are in the tender stages of development, and some should mature nicely over the next few years.

2. Emerging Talent Program and Ruud Dokter: Difficult to prove causation as always, but the timing certainly fits. And all irish underage teams have a common identity and play the same style fostering development and seamless transition of players as they progress through the age groups depending on their ability.

3. Diverse genetics pool: Never before has Ireland been so diverse with the myriad of immigration that has occurred since the 1990s. We now have a number of players from with African roots (Obafemi, Idah, Afolabi, Armstrong Okoflex, Omobamidele to name but a few) who bring pace and skill not seen before in such abundance in Ireland.

4. Scouting network: It is clear some excellent work is being done recruiting irish eligible players into the underage set up. While we may lose the odd Rice/Grealish with this strategy, we will also gain the odd McGeady/McCarthy as well. It’s certainly making a difference when you look at the players like Joe Hodge.

I do understand the caution however, and I am not someone to get carried away with things. I haven’t factored in here the amount of coverage underage players get these days even in the youth and reserves, something you’d hear very little of back 20 years ago. This may lead us to being bias towards the ability and potential of the new generation, but the arguments above still outweigh this on balance.

I do believe we are heading into a golden generation for irish football, and that I would not be surprised if 10 from the current bunch play at a high level and are regular senior internationals.
    Last edited by tommy_c12000; 27/11/2019 at 5:24 PM.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    I'm a bit concerned about Masterson. He's 21, and seems to have been talked about for ages on here, but still hasn't made his first team debut.
    By contrast O'Shea and Scales, the other centre halves in the current U21 squad, have had a season out on loan, and four full seasons of football, respectively.
    Right now it looks like his next chance for his debut will be the third round of the FA Cup in January. Is he in danger of being left behind?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I'm a bit concerned about Masterson. He's 21, and seems to have been talked about for ages on here, but still hasn't made his first team debut.
    By contrast O'Shea and Scales, the other centre halves in the current U21 squad, have had a season out on loan, and four full seasons of football, respectively.
    Right now it looks like his next chance for his debut will be the third round of the FA Cup in January. Is he in danger of being left behind?
    Im actually quite pessimistic about him at the moment. Conor has been open saying that they signed him as a “development player” and that he’s one for the future. https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/10/10/do-conor-masterson-explains-why-he-hasnt-played-for-qpr-after-li/
    How can you leave being captain of the Liverpool u23s and go to QPR at 21 years of age in the knowledge a lower level of developmental football awaits you?! I’m sure he expected a chance with first team by now, but Warburton concerned with his physicality I’d imagine. QPR have not kept a clean sheet all season, have mostly played with 3 centre backs, so for Masterson to only make the bench in one or two league games is very concerning. His 10 games with the irish under 21s have been his saving grace. You never know what opportunities may present themselves over Christmas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Masterson going to QPR reminds me of Daniel Cleary leaving Liverpool to go to Birmingham, where he didn't play. Cleary eventually signed for Dundalk, where he's doing really well, is this going to be Masterson's future?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    I think Masterson knew he needed a change of club (or was he even a free agent?), and he wasn't exactly overloaded with offers, so QPR made sense. However I would agree with the pessimism in terms of his prospects - he's a year older than most of that under 21 squad, three years older than the likes of Parrott, Knight, and Nathan Collins who plays his position, but well behind all of them in terms of his development.

To be honest I don't think he's going to make it. Even in terms of the current under 21 team I'd say Collins and O'Shea are our two best centre backs, he may well lose his place in that team before too long.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    I agree on Collins & O'Shea.

I think I read earlier in the year that Masterson was bought as WIP and has time on his side. I haven't seen him much so haven't formed my own view other than he looked perfectly competent, as did Liam Scales who, if anything, looked better in Toulon.

I'm still not sold on Kelleher btw!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think I read earlier in the year that Masterson was bought as WIP and has time on his side.
    Yeah, Warburton confirmed this recently - https://www.westlondonsport.com/qpr/...to-be-selected
    Maybe he'd be better off dropping another division or two though where he can develop properly.

9. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Masterson is a bit like Connor Ronan in that I'm not sure he'd be suited to the lower leagues, he's much more of a footballing centre back than the more physical types that do well in League 1 or League 2. Possibly Scotland or continental Europe might suit him better, but I could definitely see him playing for the likes of Rovers within a year or two, in fact a short stint in the LOI might be his best bet in terms of rebuilding an overseas career in a few years time.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Good point actually, especially in light of Warburton's comments.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    451 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    I think Masterson knew he needed a change of club (or was he even a free agent?), and he wasn't exactly overloaded with offers, so QPR made sense. However I would agree with the pessimism in terms of his prospects - he's a year older than most of that under 21 squad, three years older than the likes of Parrott, Knight, and Nathan Collins who plays his position, but well behind all of them in terms of his development.

To be honest I don't think he's going to make it. Even in terms of the current under 21 team I'd say Collins and O'Shea are our two best centre backs, he may well lose his place in that team before too long.
    Masterson is an excellent footballer great passer and makes midfielder s actually get on the ball cause he has the ability and desire to pass into tight midfield areas. He has to develop his physique but he must be at leas 6foot 4 so he will be a beast as he develops. He has been ex ellent for the 21s. He has been injured for the last 6 or 7 weeks and came back to play injured against Sweden just like molumby which really was poor management. He is the type of centre half we need if we are going to want to for e our midfield to actually play and take responsibility

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Gavin Kilkenny is on the bench for Bournemouth today.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Whatever about Masterson and where his future could or should lie, it would have been an awful pity if Liam Scales had signed for Bristol Rovers during the summer. He looks like a lad far more suited to making it in a league in the continent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post
    Masterson is an excellent footballer great passer and makes midfielder s actually get on the ball cause he has the ability and desire to pass into tight midfield areas. He has to develop his physique but he must be at leas 6foot 4 so he will be a beast as he develops.
    Just over 6ft according to Transfermarkt - 1.85m - not particularly tall for a cb.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Dara O'Shea is about 6"2, and Masterson is definitely shorter than him

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    Just over 6ft according to Transfermarkt - 1.85m - not particularly tall for a cb.
    I saw that on transfermarkt. I'm 6'1 and was chatting to Conor for a minute a few months ago. Definitely felt a tiny bit taller than me, maybe being so skinny helps a little but i would have thought 6'2. I think I would have noticed if i wasn't cause that was my big shock when chatting to Darren O'Dea and Darren Randolph that O'Dea was smaller than me (barely 6 foot) and Randolph was basically my height.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts

These are the only two ones that google offered quickly...
    Attached Images Attached Images

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Looks pretty much the same at Kelleher, who Transfermarkt have a 1.88m, so you're probably right. O'Shea similar enough too.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    230 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Dixon View Post
    Hope this doesn't go too against the grain as far as resurrecting old threads, but it's intriguing to see how far our some of the predictions were and of course how accurate others were. The one quoted above was one of the better ones.

Much in the hope that i'll still be in a position to look back on my own selection in 10 years time i'm going to have a go at a current 10 prospects. Not including Parrott, Connolly or O'Connor only because they have been capped already.

Gavin Bazuno, Nathan Collins, Andrew Omobamidele, Anselmo Garcia McNulty, Nico Jones, Jason Molumby, Conor Coventry, Jamie Bowden, Tom Cannon, Evan Ferguson
    Great shout on Andrew Omobamidele. Amazing (or maybe sobering)to see how few of those predicted over the years made the breakthrough.
    Out for a spell, got neglected, lay on the bench unselected.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    156 Posts
    Looking for a home for a bit of news about Charlton lad Patrick Casey and came across this thread. Fascinating to look back!

Anyway, Casey has signed his first professional contract, with Charlton. The 18-year-old striker enjoyed a remarkable season, scoring 42 goals for the club’s U18 and U21 sides. He was called up for the Republic's U-19 training camp recently.

Patrick Casey pens first professional contract | Charlton Athletic Football Club (charltonafc.com) 28 June

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    416 Posts
    At 15 years and 281 days old Mason Melia has become the youngest goal scorer in LOI Premier Division history. Zefi was 75 days younger when he became the youngest goal scorer overall when scoring for Rovers B team in the First Division.

Would it be worth changing the thread title if possible to something like Irish Underage Prospects to just keep this one thread for all things related to our underage players.

25. Thanks From:

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast