Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: 10 Best Irish Prospects 21 & Under

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    John Fallon reporting that Kevin Zefi could be leaving Inter this summer and that there could be interest for him by Newcastle. Has one year left on his contract going by reports.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Newcastle would possibly the worst club I could think of for him to go. Too much new money and they'll want to play the flashy big signings

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Newcastle would possibly the worst club I could think of for him to go. Too much new money and they'll want to play the flashy big signings
    They're likely to go the Man City route of stockpiling young promising players and selling them for a profit for FFP reasons or if they impress keep them.

Spent €8m on Yankuba Minteh this summer from Odense in Denmark and immediately loaned him out to Feyenoord. Similar back in January they sent another 18 year old they bought immediately out on loan to Hearts. Wouldn't surprise me if they do actually have interest in Zefi similar will be done with him.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    They're likely to go the Man City route of stockpiling young promising players and selling them for a profit for FFP reasons or if they impress keep them.

Spent €8m on Yankuba Minteh this summer from Odense in Denmark and immediately loaned him out to Feyenoord. Similar back in January they sent another 18 year old they bought immediately out on loan to Hearts. Wouldn't surprise me if they do actually have interest in Zefi similar will be done with him.
    Very good point, but that doesn't make it great from players development point of view. Although it would be good to see him get 1st team football next season whoever he's on loan from

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    John Fallon reporting that Kevin Zefi could be leaving Inter this summer and that there could be interest for him by Newcastle. Has one year left on his contract going by reports.
    Sounds like a 2 year contract with an option for one more year thats not being taken up. He wasn't really impacting theit primavera team was he? All though think he had injuries. Agree newcastle would be a poor choice but think Stephen Carr is his agent and probably still has connections there.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Be better off going to a mid tier team that has a record of bringing players through, Italy and England are probably the worst in Europe. He's 18 and needs to be around the first team, Holland, Belgium, Portugal or even a Hibs/Aberdeen in Scotland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayzor View Post
    Be better off going to a mid tier team that has a record of bringing players through, Italy and England are probably the worst in Europe. He's 18 and needs to be around the first team, Holland, Belgium, Portugal or even a Hibs/Aberdeen in Scotland.
    Garang Kuol signed for the Magpies from Central Coast Mariners prior to becoming the youngest "Socceroo" to appear at a world cup and I haven't heard a thing about him since.

Squires' depiction of Newcastle as the Death Star is all too real, to be honest with you.

Would love to see Zefi at a Brentford, Brighton, or a Championship side...or Derby.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    I saw a few random tweets during the year suggesting Zefi’s attitude was a key reason why he wasn’t pushing on at Inter. Last season was his season to shine at U19 level, he remained at U18. That was concerning to me. A fresh start may be needed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    I saw a few random tweets during the year suggesting Zefi’s attitude was a key reason why he wasn’t pushing on at Inter. Last season was his season to shine at U19 level, he remained at U18. That was concerning to me. A fresh start may be needed.
    Zefi didn't impress me at all during the u19 Qualifiers recently. His attitude wasn't great and he was very individualistic. In fairness to him it was a sh1te pitch so it didn't suit him at all. I remember seeing Ferguson in a cup game vs Charlton earlier in season and I thought he was a million miles away so it's hard to judge Zefi on such a small sample size.

I think we have learned from over hyping young players in the past not to blame the clubs for players not kicking on sometimes. If Zefi is not even getting near their u19 team he's not even in sniffing distance of 1st team so a move to Newcastle wouldn't seem great on the surface, but if it was a move where he went on loan immediately and got 1st team football somewhere at least we'd get to see how far along he is in his development

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    140 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Zefi didn't impress me at all during the u19 Qualifiers recently. His attitude wasn't great and he was very individualistic. In fairness to him it was a sh1te pitch so it didn't suit him at all. I remember seeing Ferguson in a cup game vs Charlton earlier in season and I thought he was a million miles away so it's hard to judge Zefi on such a small sample size.

I think we have learned from over hyping young players in the past not to blame the clubs for players not kicking on sometimes. If Zefi is not even getting near their u19 team he's not even in sniffing distance of 1st team so a move to Newcastle wouldn't seem great on the surface, but if it was a move where he went on loan immediately and got 1st team football somewhere at least we'd get to see how far along he is in his development
    i am kind of happy hes getting out of italy now. primavera is a very poor level overall, wasnt a good sign he didnt get pushed into the 19s last season imo. ive seen a good bit of him with ireland 17s/19s , think he badly needs some individual coaching. hes definitely not as good as a move to inter would suggest, nor is heffernan imo. people were buzzed these lads went to these big teams instead of the PL equv but in truth its no different. unless you are elite you will find it very difficult. lets see what a year in england does for the lad, as you say a loan is probably needed as soon as any new club see him (hopefully) outgrowing PL u21.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    Garang Kuol signed for the Magpies from Central Coast Mariners prior to becoming the youngest "Socceroo" to appear at a world cup and I haven't heard a thing about him since.

Squires' depiction of Newcastle as the Death Star is all too real, to be honest with you.

Would love to see Zefi at a Brentford, Brighton, or a Championship side...or Derby.
    He was immediately loaned out to Hearts but didn't feature much. Only one goal and a handful of appearances.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd2793 View Post
    i am kind of happy hes getting out of italy now. primavera is a very poor level overall, wasnt a good sign he didnt get pushed into the 19s last season imo. ive seen a good bit of him with ireland 17s/19s , think he badly needs some individual coaching. hes definitely not as good as a move to inter would suggest, nor is heffernan imo. people were buzzed these lads went to these big teams instead of the PL equv but in truth its no different. unless you are elite you will find it very difficult. lets see what a year in england does for the lad, as you say a loan is probably needed as soon as any new club see him (hopefully) outgrowing PL u21.
    Spain are hammering Greece 5 nil at the moment in the under 19 euro s, Greece topped our group on the qualifiers we really should have got out of that grouo

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789