Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: 10 Best Irish Prospects 21 & Under

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    201 Posts
    In terms of 21 and under, I don't think there are any standout goalkeepers. McCarey did well during the U19 championships, but he has struggled to shift McLoughlin since moving up to u21 level. Richie Branagan and Michael Quirke were both used by King but we won't be seeing them any time soon.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    In terms of 21 and under, I don't think there are any standout goalkeepers. McCarey did well during the U19 championships, but he has struggled to shift McLoughlin since moving up to u21 level. Richie Branagan and Michael Quirke were both used by King but we won't be seeing them any time soon.
    Does Quirke even have a club these days?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    Niall Burdon?

4. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    847 Posts
    Sean Murray, of Watford, I think he has been mentioned on here before, has already made his first team debut, a bit more here, The Watford academy has been featured in this months Four Four Two magazine as well (I think)
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 13/12/2011 at 10:29 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    Quirke is, as they say, a free agent. In terms of goalkeepers does anyone know if Sean McDermott or Joe Coll are any good? Also Ciaran Clarke could possibly join the list of good prospects.
    Last edited by gastric; 13/12/2011 at 7:40 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    The players I see as having the most potential at the present time are:

Mark O'Brien - just turned 19, a real exciting talent. But needs to put in a serious pre-season in the gym before he will be considered for a call up. He has been out of favour in recent weeks, but hopefully he will break back into the Derby first team again soon. A small break from the rough and tumbles of the Championship might do him no harm at all considering his tender age.

Shane Duffy - Scunthorpe fans have been raving about him this season with their manager describing him as "a proper centre half." It is hard to believe that he is still only 19, but this lad definitely has it all to make it as a top notch centre half. His loan spell has been extended until the end of January, but expect him to get a look in with the Everton first team by the end of the present season.

Robbie Brady - He has really impressed during his loan spell with Hull City this season, scoring one memorable league goal. However, his development has faultered somewhat since the departure of Pearson culminating in a 3 match ban for a red card. He is due to return next saturday V Millwall so hopefully he'll be back into the starting eleven. Fingers crossed he will secure a loan move to a Premiership outfit in January.

David Meyler - Sunderland have been crying out for a commander-in-chief in the centre of midfield all season. They started with Colback (5ft 9) and Vaughan (5ft 7) yesterday. If it was any other team other than Blackburn, their midfield would have been steam rolled. They got very lucky yesterday. Gardner is 5ft 10, Cattermole 5ft 10 and Richardson 5ft 9. It is only a matter of time before Meyler will get his chance in midfield. He has a strong physical presence, is a very good passer of the ball, is strong in the tackle and has an abundance of energy. Potential to be a top, top player. Let's hope he stays injury free.

Jack Grealish - From the small bit that I've seen of him and from what I've read, he has the potential to be the superstar. I'm not convinced that he will stay with Ireland though.

These are the 5 that I have most hope for at the present time.

Others:
    Conor Henderson - Can't see him making it in the premiership after a cruciate in either knee before the age of 20. Hope he proves me wrong though.
    Conor Clifford - needs a loan move to a good championship club. Not setting the world alight with Yeovil at the moment. Has been subbed at the 60 minute mark every game. Clock is ticking.
    Greg Cunningham - doing ok for Forest. Hopefully, he will continue to develop.
    Jeff Hendrick - fine passer of the ball. Whether he will make it at the top level, I'm not convinced.
    Matt Doherty - Has made a couple of impressive cameos for Wolves. Could be a top right back.
    Johnny Egan - Has been receiving rave reviews for the Sunderland Reserves this season collecting a number of MOTM awards. Hopefully he'll break into the first team soon.
    James McClean - Impressive yesterday, hopefully he will continue to develop.
    Rhys Murphy - Don't think will make it at Premiership level
    Joe Mason - Don't think will make it at Premiership level
    http://www.englandfootballblog.com/2...sh-of-ireland/

Despite all his paperwork being in order, Jack Grealish pulled out of England‘s most recent U17 squad…no reason given…the biggest indicator yet that he’s looking to stick with Ireland
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

8. Thanks From:

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Saw this lad, Graham Burke, was named on the subs bench yesterday for Villa with McLeish saying that he was very close to putting him on at the end. Must be a good prospect if he's involved so young - definitely one to watch.

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetai...381553,00.html

http://www.avfc.co.uk/page/AcademyPr...091150,00.html

Also, with regards to young prospects, Anthony Forde is really highly rated at Wolves, along with Doherty. There is also a young lad called McAllinden who is highly touted (hopefully Mick will try to convert him also) -http://www.wolves.co.uk/page/News/0,,10307~2550179,00.html
    "The richest man in the world is not he who has the most, but he who needs the least"

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Bit in today's Examiner about Aidan White. Noel King tipping him for senior caps.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    Quirke is, as they say, a free agent. In terms of goalkeepers does anyone know if Sean McDermott or Joe Coll are any good? Also Ciaran Clarke could possibly join the list of good prospects.
    Joe Coll is decent enough, but he is only 17 (i think) playing with Man Utd.... Man City also have an 17 year old keeper by the name of Ian Lawlor.... Ian is ex Home Farm, and although he was decent and very tall he loses him temper very easy (Easy to wind up)

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zackmorris View Post
    Aaron Doran, Gavin Gunning, Conor Clifford, Robbie Brady, Conor Henderson, Sean McGinty, Eoin Wearen, Jeff Kendrick, Mark O'Brien, Conor Hourihane and Richie Towell.
    Hope this doesn't go too against the grain as far as resurrecting old threads, but it's intriguing to see how far our some of the predictions were and of course how accurate others were. The one quoted above was one of the better ones.

Much in the hope that i'll still be in a position to look back on my own selection in 10 years time i'm going to have a go at a current 10 prospects. Not including Parrott, Connolly or O'Connor only because they have been capped already.

Gavin Bazuno, Nathan Collins, Andrew Omobamidele, Anselmo Garcia McNulty, Nico Jones, Jason Molumby, Conor Coventry, Jamie Bowden, Tom Cannon, Evan Ferguson

15. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Jeff Kendrick! Have to read this thread in full.

17. Thanks From:

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,197 Posts
    Posts like that are exactly why I don't be getting excited about our latest great batch of U19s or even 21s. There's a long way to go yet to really make it, even for Parrott, Connolly and others starting to get a look in at senior level

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    536 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    The players I see as having the most potential at the present time are:

Mark O'Brien - just turned 19, a real exciting talent. But needs to put in a serious pre-season in the gym before he will be considered for a call up. He has been out of favour in recent weeks, but hopefully he will break back into the Derby first team again soon. A small break from the rough and tumbles of the Championship might do him no harm at all considering his tender age.

Shane Duffy - Scunthorpe fans have been raving about him this season with their manager describing him as "a proper centre half." It is hard to believe that he is still only 19, but this lad definitely has it all to make it as a top notch centre half. His loan spell has been extended until the end of January, but expect him to get a look in with the Everton first team by the end of the present season.

Robbie Brady - He has really impressed during his loan spell with Hull City this season, scoring one memorable league goal. However, his development has faultered somewhat since the departure of Pearson culminating in a 3 match ban for a red card. He is due to return next saturday V Millwall so hopefully he'll be back into the starting eleven. Fingers crossed he will secure a loan move to a Premiership outfit in January.

David Meyler - Sunderland have been crying out for a commander-in-chief in the centre of midfield all season. They started with Colback (5ft 9) and Vaughan (5ft 7) yesterday. If it was any other team other than Blackburn, their midfield would have been steam rolled. They got very lucky yesterday. Gardner is 5ft 10, Cattermole 5ft 10 and Richardson 5ft 9. It is only a matter of time before Meyler will get his chance in midfield. He has a strong physical presence, is a very good passer of the ball, is strong in the tackle and has an abundance of energy. Potential to be a top, top player. Let's hope he stays injury free.

Jack Grealish - From the small bit that I've seen of him and from what I've read, he has the potential to be the superstar. I'm not convinced that he will stay with Ireland though.

These are the 5 that I have most hope for at the present time.

Others:
    Conor Henderson - Can't see him making it in the premiership after a cruciate in either knee before the age of 20. Hope he proves me wrong though.
    Conor Clifford - needs a loan move to a good championship club. Not setting the world alight with Yeovil at the moment. Has been subbed at the 60 minute mark every game. Clock is ticking.
    Greg Cunningham - doing ok for Forest. Hopefully, he will continue to develop.
    Jeff Hendrick - fine passer of the ball. Whether he will make it at the top level, I'm not convinced.
    Matt Doherty - Has made a couple of impressive cameos for Wolves. Could be a top right back.
    Johnny Egan - Has been receiving rave reviews for the Sunderland Reserves this season collecting a number of MOTM awards. Hopefully he'll break into the first team soon.
    James McClean - Impressive yesterday, hopefully he will continue to develop.
    Rhys Murphy - Don't think will make it at Premiership level
    Joe Mason - Don't think will make it at Premiership level
    This is a pretty impressive take...

20. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    I don’t even remember that post! O’Brien lacked the bit of luck needed!

22. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Deckydee View Post
    http://www.englandfootballblog.com/2...sh-of-ireland/

Despite all his paperwork being in order, Jack Grealish pulled out of England‘s most recent U17 squad…no reason given…the biggest indicator yet that he’s looking to stick with Ireland
    Should have listened to Tommy, Decky...

24. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Interesting thread to read back through and to be fair the predictions were better than I thought they would be. O'Brien and Clifford probably the biggest disappointments relative to expectations but the likes of Brady, Hendrick, Stevens, Coleman, Egan, Doherty, Duffy and Hourihane were all predicted to do well by posters.

For what it's worth here are my top 10 current under 21s, most likely some will fall away but hopefully a few will go on to play at a high level.

1. Troy Parrott
    2. Aaron Connolly
    3. Michael Obafemi
    4. Jayson Molumby
    5. Nathan Collins
    6. Jason Knight
    7. Dara O'Shea
    8. Mark Travers
    9. Adam Idah
    10. Lee O'Connor

And since five of those have already been capped here are five more uncapped players who might have a shot.

Gavin Kilkenny
    Caoimhin Kelleher
    Jonathan Afolabi
    Conor Coventry
    Thomas O'Connor
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elatedscum View Post
    This is a pretty impressive take...
    Ridiculously good predictions. I do think that the group we have coming through are a few levels above that group so I would expect that we will get a better success rate with.

27. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    602 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme feet View Post
    Matt Doherty - Wolves (19)
    Mark O'Brien - Derby (19)
    Shane Duffy - Everton (19)
    Greg Cunningham - Man City (20)
    Enda Stevens - Shamrock Rovers/Aston Villa (21)
    Robbie Brady - Man Utd (19)
    Conor Clifford - Chelsea (20)
    Jeff Hendrick - Derby (19)
    Conor Henderson - Arsenal (20)
    Rhys Murphy - Arsenal (21)

They would be my current ten, with James McCarthy (21) omitted on grounds that he's already 'established'. We seem to have prospects in most positions, but a few extra goalkeepers and strikers wouldn't go amiss.

Tets, Long will be 25 in February, I wouldn't count him as a young prospect anymore. I agree with Brady though, he looks just as promising as Duff did when he was the same age. It should be remembered that Keane, Duff and Dunne also spent seasons in the second tier (whatever it was called back then) before really establishing themselves at club level. Duff was actually on the bench quite a lot at Blackburn until he was around 20-21, when he really kicked on.
    Six future internationals out of ten picked... also very impressive

29. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Tommy deservedly taking all the plaudits but without Crosby there'd have been no discussion. Ahead of his time as always.

31. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Posts like that are exactly why I don't be getting excited about our latest great batch of U19s or even 21s. There's a long way to go yet to really make it, even for Parrott, Connolly and others starting to get a look in at senior level
    Even a lot of those that do 'make it', end up getting maligned, like McClean and Hendrick recently. Still, where's the joy if you can't get enthusiastic about these things.

33. Thanks From:

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast