Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 Best Irish Prospects 21 & Under

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Lou View Post
    McAleny made his debut for Everton today, I don't know if he's eligible for Ireland though.
    Solid young player with a great attitude. Asked him via twitter a while back and he said he's a generation out or something to that effect. Shame.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Yard of Pace View Post
    Tommy Amos thread here:
    http://foot.ie/forums/showthread.php?t=125221

Any news on him anyone?
    http://www.firstpointusa.com/news/to...attan-college/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    Solid young player with a great attitude. Asked him via twitter a while back and he said he's a generation out or something to that effect. Shame.
    Aye, Irish great-grandfather, according to TrapAPony.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Dont know if this lad has been mentioned before or has got a call up yet but might be worth keeping an eye on him.

http://www.evertonfc.com/player-profile/ben-heneghan
    I have a head only Snow White would love

5. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Mark O'Brien and Rhys Murphy are my picks. A known quantity but Darren Randolph is also a very good young keeper. A lot of unfortunately overrated young Irish players out there at present, I'm not too optimistic about any Keanes or Duffs emerging from the crop currently in the public domain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Not sure about Randolph, saw him playing against England at u21 level and he had a nightmare game.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    Mark O'Brien and Rhys Murphy are my picks. A known quantity but Darren Randolph is also a very good young keeper. A lot of unfortunately overrated young Irish players out there at present, I'm not too optimistic about any Keanes or Duffs emerging from the crop currently in the public domain.
    If he continues his current progress, then Jack Grealish!? Conor Henderson could be a great player if he regains fitness and stays injury free.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    Surely Brady and Long?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Matt Doherty - Wolves (19)
    Mark O'Brien - Derby (19)
    Shane Duffy - Everton (19)
    Greg Cunningham - Man City (20)
    Enda Stevens - Shamrock Rovers/Aston Villa (21)
    Robbie Brady - Man Utd (19)
    Conor Clifford - Chelsea (20)
    Jeff Hendrick - Derby (19)
    Conor Henderson - Arsenal (20)
    Rhys Murphy - Arsenal (21)

They would be my current ten, with James McCarthy (21) omitted on grounds that he's already 'established'. We seem to have prospects in most positions, but a few extra goalkeepers and strikers wouldn't go amiss.

Tets, Long will be 25 in February, I wouldn't count him as a young prospect anymore. I agree with Brady though, he looks just as promising as Duff did when he was the same age. It should be remembered that Keane, Duff and Dunne also spent seasons in the second tier (whatever it was called back then) before really establishing themselves at club level. Duff was actually on the bench quite a lot at Blackburn until he was around 20-21, when he really kicked on.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Joe Mason - Cardiff (20)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Stephen Henderson, 23, playing regularly for Portsmouth in Championship and getting good reviews.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,308 Posts
    Keep forgetting what age Long is, even though he's been around for ages.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    What about James McClean (22)
    David Meyler (22)
    "Now jump up there and stuff that son of a bitch in the basket, chief"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme feet View Post
    I agree with Brady though, he looks just as promising as Duff did when he was the same age. It should be remembered that Keane, Duff and Dunne also spent seasons in the second tier (whatever it was called back then) before really establishing themselves at club level. Duff was actually on the bench quite a lot at Blackburn until he was around 20-21, when he really kicked on.
    Another member of the Brady fanclub here, very exciting prospect and one I'd heard about for quite a while before actually seeing him in action. Speaking of 20-21 Duff, sometimes I wondered if he'd last the game he was playing in, nevermind go on to become one of our greats! He's go on a run and immediately look absolutely wrecked, panting like a labrador. Turned out to have fairly impressive stamina in the end - fair play to him, still doing it.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,094 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Keep forgetting what age Long is, even though he's been around for ages.
    In spite of the luck Robbie Keane had at Liverpool, I hope Long grasps his chance to play with one of the top sides in England. Speculation always surrounded Doyle and the big sides but it never seemed material and I remember him being linked with Chelsea and even more recently Arsenal and Liverpool; whether they were material links or just rumours, I don't know. But on the basis of Long's season so far I'd be optimistic of a bigger club coming in for him next summer or the one after if his development keeps up. He has scored goals against Man United and Chelsea already this season.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    The players I see as having the most potential at the present time are:

Mark O'Brien - just turned 19, a real exciting talent. But needs to put in a serious pre-season in the gym before he will be considered for a call up. He has been out of favour in recent weeks, but hopefully he will break back into the Derby first team again soon. A small break from the rough and tumbles of the Championship might do him no harm at all considering his tender age.

Shane Duffy - Scunthorpe fans have been raving about him this season with their manager describing him as "a proper centre half." It is hard to believe that he is still only 19, but this lad definitely has it all to make it as a top notch centre half. His loan spell has been extended until the end of January, but expect him to get a look in with the Everton first team by the end of the present season.

Robbie Brady - He has really impressed during his loan spell with Hull City this season, scoring one memorable league goal. However, his development has faultered somewhat since the departure of Pearson culminating in a 3 match ban for a red card. He is due to return next saturday V Millwall so hopefully he'll be back into the starting eleven. Fingers crossed he will secure a loan move to a Premiership outfit in January.

David Meyler - Sunderland have been crying out for a commander-in-chief in the centre of midfield all season. They started with Colback (5ft 9) and Vaughan (5ft 7) yesterday. If it was any other team other than Blackburn, their midfield would have been steam rolled. They got very lucky yesterday. Gardner is 5ft 10, Cattermole 5ft 10 and Richardson 5ft 9. It is only a matter of time before Meyler will get his chance in midfield. He has a strong physical presence, is a very good passer of the ball, is strong in the tackle and has an abundance of energy. Potential to be a top, top player. Let's hope he stays injury free.

Jack Grealish - From the small bit that I've seen of him and from what I've read, he has the potential to be the superstar. I'm not convinced that he will stay with Ireland though.

These are the 5 that I have most hope for at the present time.

Others:
    Conor Henderson - Can't see him making it in the premiership after a cruciate in either knee before the age of 20. Hope he proves me wrong though.
    Conor Clifford - needs a loan move to a good championship club. Not setting the world alight with Yeovil at the moment. Has been subbed at the 60 minute mark every game. Clock is ticking.
    Greg Cunningham - doing ok for Forest. Hopefully, he will continue to develop.
    Jeff Hendrick - fine passer of the ball. Whether he will make it at the top level, I'm not convinced.
    Matt Doherty - Has made a couple of impressive cameos for Wolves. Could be a top right back.
    Johnny Egan - Has been receiving rave reviews for the Sunderland Reserves this season collecting a number of MOTM awards. Hopefully he'll break into the first team soon.
    James McClean - Impressive yesterday, hopefully he will continue to develop.
    Rhys Murphy - Don't think will make it at Premiership level
    Joe Mason - Don't think will make it at Premiership level

18. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Sorry about the length of the last post. Got exams this week so bouncing off the walls with the coffee!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    I was thinking about the comparison about about Long possibly being another "Keane" in our current batch of young players. At first, I figured that there's no comparison really as, by Long's age, Keane already had 57 caps and had scored more international goals than any other Irish footballer in history (24).

Looking at it relative to Long's experience however, he has 23 caps and 6 goals. By cap 23, Robbie only had 7 goals to his name internationally, so you never know. He certainly has been given limited opportunities as a direct result of Keane's presence and Trap's reluctance to play Long and Keane together. I'd have Long ahead of Doyle in our first 11 at the moment anyway, as I think he has all the try-hard of Doyle but scores more goals.

In terms of other young prospects, I like the look of Conor Clifford, Robbie Brady, David Meyler, James McCarthy, Ciaran Clark and Mark O'Brien. I'm particularly hopeful about Clifford, but you never know where these guys will end up.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    Others :
    Anthony Forde - Wolves
    Aidy White - Leeds
    Daniel Kearns - Peterborough
    Kane Ferdinand - Southend
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Aidy White and Robbie Brady have impressed me in the last few home under 21 games in Sligo. One guy who I rarely hear mentioned is Rob Kiernan, who captains the under 21 side at centre half. English born, but has played for from u17 upwards I believe. Coming 21 in January and recently signed for Wigan from Watford. He has really impressed me alongside Shane Duffy in recent games.

I think Mark O'Brien would ideally need to grow an inch and put on a few pounds in the next few years if he is to challenge the physicality of the current under 21 defence. (Connolly is 6'1, Kiernan is 6'2, Duffy 6'4, Canavan 6'3, Gunning 6'2, Cunningham 6'0.). Saying that, height isn't necessarily a pre-requisite for a good defender, I'm just pointing out that King has favoured tall, strong defenders during his time in charge of the under 21s. In fact I'd argue that this is part of the reason Lanre Oyebanjo has been included in all squads - he is quite fast, tall and strong.

Barton has been hit and miss. When playing advanced, he looks very dangerous, but he struggled playing deeper in the last game and King gave him a bollocking before throwing on Hendrick.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

24. Thanks From:

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast