Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Graham Carey (M free agent b.1989)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Cracking finish too

2. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bielsa´s irish View Post
    Can he play forma Ireland? He is a number 10
    Yes he can play for Ireland. Irish born and bred. He really should be given a chance given our lack of creativity in midfield.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Let’s face it, we’re giving opportunities to people playing at a lower level. I’d be happy to take a look at him, but maybe it’s just too late as we look to Euro 2024 campaign.

Perhaps at 32 he just doesn’t fall into the rebuild.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    I think that's a really bad reason - sorry you'll be too old in two years, so we're not going to play you against Azerbaijan or Qatar in three weeks
    We need wins now and he's playing at a higher level than at least half of the midfielders named in the last squad - https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/skip...through-injury

Midfielders: Josh Cullen (Anderlecht), Jeff Hendrick(Newcastle United), Conor Hourihane(Aston Villa - on loan at Sheffield United), Harry Arter(Nottingham Forest), Jamie McGrath(St. Mirren), Jayson Molumby(Brighton and Hove Albion - on loan at West Brom), Alan Browne(Preston North End)
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    It just depends who he’s getting in ahead of. If we’re picking Carey over Arter, that doesn’t bother me at all. If a guy like McGrath loses out on minutes I just think that’s really shortsighted given this campaign is a write off.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Cap the gallagher lad in the US

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Travel restrictions mean this is unlikely in the immediate future

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I think that's a really bad reason - sorry you'll be too old in two years, so we're not going to play you against Azerbaijan or Qatar in three weeks
    We need wins now and he's playing at a higher level than at least half of the midfielders named in the last squad - https://www.fai.ie/ireland/news/skip...through-injury
    Is he playing at a higher level? The Bulgarian league is ranked 24th in Europe, Scotland is ranked 9th for comparison.

If the Championship and L1 were standalone leagues, the Championship would certainly rank higher than the Bulgarian league (look at the finances), and arguably L1 would also rank higher.

10. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Is he playing at a higher level? The Bulgarian league is ranked 24th in Europe, Scotland is ranked 9th for comparison.

If the Championship and L1 were standalone leagues, the Championship would certainly rank higher than the Bulgarian league (look at the finances), and arguably L1 would also rank higher.
    Probably. But you could counter all this by saying he ripped up League One and produced against a Serie A side. We were also dreadful against a Bulgarian side containing a lot of home based players whilst we had a PL and Championship laden team.

Not pushing for Carey. Haven't seen him play. And he's 32. You'd wonder if he had chosen his move after Plymouth a little differently would he have been called in. I see Poland had an MLS striker beside Lewandowski the other night. Slovakia have an MLS winger. Guys that produce well and consistently there (Gallagher is hardly consistent there yet is he?) Do get picked in Europe. It's all hard to compare.

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    But did he rip up L1 and produce against a Serie A side? He scored against Roma last night, a game CSKA lost 5-1 - score line alone suggests a class difference, hard to argue a player on the losing side produced for 90mins. Too many posts here are about lads scoring the night before and demanding inclusion in the squads. A goal catches headlines, but says little about their actual game and capability/ suitability for international football.

14. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,092 Posts
    But did he rip up L1 and produce against a Serie A side? He scored against Roma last night, a game CSKA lost 5-1 - score line alone suggests a class difference, hard to argue a player on the losing side produced for 90mins. Too many posts here are about lads scoring the night before and demanding inclusion in the squads. A goal catches headlines, but says little about their actual game and capability/ suitability for international football.
    He scored 14 goals in a season in League One. He scored a goal against Roma. I'm not demanding inclusion. I'm trying to add balance to your points. These are fair counter arguments

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    He scored 14 goals in a season in League One. He scored a goal against Roma. I'm not demanding inclusion. I'm trying to add balance to your points. These are fair counter arguments
    I haven't said you personally are demanding inclusion. You did write in your initial post "I'm not pushing for his inclusion". My initial post was a counter to the statement that Carey is playing at a higher level than half the squad (midfielders) recently selected - which is questionable at best. This statement was made on the back of the goal headline from the previous night. But as you said, you have not seen Carey play and that's basically the point being made here. Demands for callups are being made on headlines.

18. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    He's scoring goals which is important and as Tets said, yesterday's was quality. I suspect his ship has sailed though. I'm more excited by Scully tbh. Yes, he's doing well "only" in League One but his eye for goal is proven and let's face it, if Idah and Connolly were parachuted down to that level right now would either be doing as well? Scully is probably doing better than Parrott at the same level - and maybe a worse team? - and Parrott is starting for us.

In general, I just don't think we have the luxury of looking down our noses at the Bulgarian league or League One these days. He'd probably already have 7 or 8 goals for NI at this stage if he was one of theirs.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,286 Posts
    Nominated for Goal of the Week

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    He's scoring goals which is important and as Tets said, yesterday's was quality. I suspect his ship has sailed though. I'm more excited by Scully tbh. Yes, he's doing well "only" in League One but his eye for goal is proven and let's face it, if Idah and Connolly were parachuted down to that level right now would either be doing as well? Scully is probably doing better than Parrott at the same level - and maybe a worse team? - and Parrott is starting for us.

In general, I just don't think we have the luxury of looking down our noses at the Bulgarian league or League One these days. He'd probably already have 7 or 8 goals for NI at this stage if he was one of theirs.
    Sure, judge the player on individual merits rather than the club address.

Carey played 1217mins domestically (league) for CSKA last season, averaging 50mins per appearance over 25 league appearances. 1 goal scored, sub’ed in 11 times, sub’ed out 6 times, unused sub 4 times.

In contrast, and using Jamie McGrath’s name as it was in bold in the initial post and they are in the same position, McGrath played 2840 league mins for St Mirren, 35 appearances with an average time of pitch of 81 minutes. Ten goals to his name, sub’ed in just once/ sub’ed out 10 times. Used in every game when available.

Scotland is a higher ranked league than Bulgaria, and the stats above show McGrath is a key player for St Mirren while Carey is more a squad player (goal against Roma aside).

And yes, Anthony Scully can be something with time. Just looking for more reasoning as to why player X should be called up than “he scored last night”.

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Best of luck to Graham Carey and everything, but honestly is isn't (or at least shouldn't be) within a mile of the Ireland squad, especially given his age.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,679 Posts
    Sure, judge the player on individual merits rather than the club address.

Carey played 1217mins domestically (league) for CSKA last season, averaging 50mins per appearance over 25 league appearances. 1 goal scored, sub’ed in 11 times, sub’ed out 6 times, unused sub 4 times.

In contrast, and using Jamie McGrath’s name as it was in bold in the initial post and they are in the same position, McGrath played 2840 league mins for St Mirren, 35 appearances with an average time of pitch of 81 minutes. Ten goals to his name, sub’ed in just once/ sub’ed out 10 times. Used in every game when available.

Scotland is a higher ranked league than Bulgaria, and the stats above show McGrath is a key player for St Mirren while Carey is more a squad player (goal against Roma aside).

And yes, Anthony Scully can be something with time. Just looking for more reasoning as to why player X should be called up than “he scored last night”.
    I thought he had more goals to his name on that. Twitter must recycle a lot of his old goals

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    100 Posts
    has anyone here seen Carey play much?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Let’s face it, we’re giving opportunities to people playing at a lower level. I’d be happy to take a look at him, but maybe it’s just too late as we look to Euro 2024 campaign.

Perhaps at 32 he just doesn’t fall into the rebuild.
    True, he would not be part of the rebuild at this stage. But I just wish he'd been given a chance before now. I've followed his career since he was at Plymouth. Looked like a really decent player but typical of us (as was the case with Wes) we wait until it's too late.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts

Wouldn't bother me if he was playing in the Leinster Senior League. If he has the tools for the job then give him a shot. Under normal circumstances, Jack Byrne, as a LOI player should be nowhere near the national team, but he is because of our utter lack of creativity in that department. So why not Carey?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast