Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ireland technically out of recession

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I must say, the car industry I have no sympathy for. At teh end of the day people were updating their car every 2nd or 3rd year. We do not need that and its pure luxury. We would be better off focusing on public transport and get people using that and cycling bikes than using cars. Obviously cars are needed in some cases but not to the extent that we used them in this country in the past 15 years. Nothing worse than seeing some silly cow in a big Jeep living in Foxrock or Dublin 4.
    In Trap we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    This isn't / wasn't about the "car industry" but a byproduct of the discussion. Your entitled to your views but as yo don't own a car don't think you should be commenting on people tastes or their practices in terms of how often they replace them.
    Often cars are replaced simply to keep within warrenty, and confusesd by those not in the know with extravagence.

Whats wrong with owning a big jeep, and living in D4 as you put it? Should you not own one and or live in D4 or Foxrock?

Maybe, she or her husband can afford it, maybe he'd like her to be safe when she is driving on the motorway to teach kids in Arklow. Or any number of other reasons.

Had a call from MBNA at lunch time, they noticed I withdrew cash on the credit card, thought they'd check with me to see every thing was ok and more specifically that I was still working! I told her it was the first time i'd ever been discouraged not to withdraw or use my credit card!! She Laughed.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    We do not need that and its pure luxury.
    Thing is, luxury spending is kind of what's gotten us the standard of living we have. If we all stop splashing out on ourselves, then there's going to be many more jobs lost. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. We've no real underlying support industries really, especially since the numbers in farming are way down. I've said it before - our core industries are cheap tax and building more houses to make us all rich, and that's about it.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,522 Posts
    In fairness, the state does have a very large and successful IT sector. Obviously it's a cut-throat market that can change quickly, but there have been announcements of jobs consistently throughout the year.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr Damo View Post
    This isn't / wasn't about the "car industry" but a byproduct of the discussion. Your entitled to your views but as yo don't own a car don't think you should be commenting on people tastes or their practices in terms of how often they replace them.
    Often cars are replaced simply to keep within warrenty, and confusesd by those not in the know with extravagence.

Whats wrong with owning a big jeep, and living in D4 as you put it? Should you not own one and or live in D4 or Foxrock?

Maybe, she or her husband can afford it, maybe he'd like her to be safe when she is driving on the motorway to teach kids in Arklow. Or any number of other reasons.
    So because I do not own a car I cannot comment on this. So areyou saying you comment on this forum with things that relate directly to you.

One of the things that is wrong with owning a big jeep is the high emmissions it produces. The facts are that if more people used public transport and or cycled it would be better for the environment.

Nothing wrong with living in D4 or Foxrock but there is a huge amount of people that have cars and jeeps in those areas that do not bloody need them. They are an extravagance on a grand level, and represent all that was bad about the Celtic Tiger years in Ireland. But yet people want to have a go at a carer or a teacher for earning too much. The targets in the media are wrong here.

We should have more prohibitive taxes on this sort of waste.
    In Trap we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    So because I do not own a car I cannot comment on this. So areyou saying you comment on this forum with things that relate directly to you.

One of the things that is wrong with owning a big jeep is the high emmissions it produces. The facts are that if more people used public transport and or cycled it would be better for the environment.

Nothing wrong with living in D4 or Foxrock but there is a huge amount of people that have cars and jeeps in those areas that do not bloody need them. They are an extravagance on a grand level, and represent all that was bad about the Celtic Tiger years in Ireland. But yet people want to have a go at a carer or a teacher for earning too much. The targets in the media are wrong here.

We should have more prohibitive taxes on this sort of waste.
    I thought my post was fairly honest and straight forward, you only justified your feelings in your last post. Thanks for that.

I'm of the same opinion as Pineapple stu, without the government getting the taxation from such extravagance there wouldn't have been the increase in special needs teachers, or unemployement benifit so it really is a chicken and egg scenario. We are all in agreement here that they totally mis managed the boom and it is fairly clear we disagree on how to get out of it. I have total respect for your Joe Higgins esq political views, If we had more of him shouting louder at Bertie/Charlie Mc through the boom we'd be further on today, but like the other side of the coin in terms of free market and deregulation, sorry unregulation, too much any-one-thing is bad for ya.
    Last edited by Fr Damo; 22/12/2009 at 3:40 PM.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,196 Posts
    I'm of the same opinion as Pineapple stu, without the government getting the taxation from such extravagance there wouldn't have been the increase in special needs teachers, or unemployement benifit
    Just to clarify my point, I'm also saying that if we weren't changing cars every other year, there wouldn't have been half as many people picking up a wage in the motor industry, which they could then use to redevelop their house purely because it was the fashionable thing to do, keeping many tradesmen in business, who'd then help keep the newsagents in business buying breakfast rolls instead of maybe bringing their own lunch in, and so forth.

(And Mr A's point is acknowledged, thanks).

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Stu, That is my underlying point, internal consupmtion and as a result indirect taxation (I Include stamp duty, VRT etc) is what made us then and ironically, what we are today. It wasn't corporation Taxes on the multinationals, the government was and still is happy for them to employ & pay ltlle but tax us when we spend.
    Now that we have stopped spending, Sorry Adam, but I don't see much retail going on up here, the hole is becoming all consuming.

for the record, I support the low corporation Tax rate to intice multi nationals, could probably tolerate a small hike too but we won't pull out of this until employment (I'm focusing on that rather than unemployment becuase our goods and services providers have a capaity for about 2.2m workers spending hard cash) starts to increase from the 1.8m it's at now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Its funny that the same people who are calling for cuts in wages are all people who believe that internal consumption is what made us have the boom and seem to think its what will get us out of the boom.

And silly comments comparing me to Joe Higgins, add nothing to the debate I am sure.
    In Trap we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    thought we had this last week. Fine, keep your 5% of 204 quid, 5% of of earnings less than 30k in the public sector etc etc. See how much that contributes to consumption! About 1.4 billion euro I think. nothing, absolutley nothing, in the scheme of things. What we need are feckin jobs. Read my post, how we get them (back) is the underlying issue.

BTW, i think Joe Higgins is worthy of any vote.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    [QUOTE=Fr Damo;1296641]thought we had this last week. Fine, keep your 5% of 204 quid, 5% of of earnings less than 30k in the public sector etc etc. See how much that contributes to consumption! About 1.4 billion euro I think. nothing, absolutley nothing, in the scheme of things. What we need are feckin jobs. Read my post, how we get them (back) is the underlying issue.

BTW, i think Joe Higgins is worthy of any vote.[/

Well if it contributes 1.4 billion in consumption and it means that lives are not ruined etc well then it can be worth it.

It seems that it is good economic policy for rich people to splash money jeeps and whatever they like as its good for internal consumption but when that argument is used for people on the low wage or on the dole it is desribted as absolutely nothing, despite the fact that someone on low wages spends every bit of their penny in the economy and have very little savings so therefore contribute their money directly to internal consumption.

I agree with need to create jobs but their was nothing in the last budget that is going to create jobs in my view. Or very little anyway. I am certain though that cutting peoples wages by 5 per cent at the lowet level will not create any jobs.
    In Trap we trust

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Well if it contributes 1.4 billion in consumption and it means that lives are not ruined etc well then it can be worth it.

It seems that it is good economic policy for rich people to splash money jeeps and whatever they like as its good for internal consumption but when that argument is used for people on the low wage or on the dole it is desribted as absolutely nothing, despite the fact that someone on low wages spends every bit of their penny in the economy and have very little savings so therefore contribute their money directly to internal consumption.
    Neil, i don't know what you are on about.

I did hear a guy on the front line last night who says he has three employees and they asked him about working 19 hours a week to claim for the other days off. he said his employees would be better off as a result!.

The solution 1)cut the dole 2) put mechinisms in place so this cannot happen be possible or, 3) the employer could increase the wage he pays his staff to keep them interested and see where that gets him.

I have said this here before, I would not have slashed indiscriminatly as per the budget, but I think you have my views at this stage.

Just heard on Today FM that there are 26000 in arrears with mortgage payments, we ain't seen the wort yet i'm afraid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A
    In fairness, the state does have a very large and successful IT sector.
    It did have it, now other countries have it. And they'll have more of it, when President Van Rompuy imposes universal corporation tax rates on us, as he is said to be in favour of.

Watched Reeling in the Years last night. When the last technical recession ended in 1983, 38,000 people joined the dole that year. Job creation didn't grow until 1994.

By contrast, 36k joined the dole in January this year alone. 150-200k people joined this year. It'll be many more years before they see the end of the recession.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    It did have it, now other countries have it. And they'll have more of it, when President Van Rompuy imposes universal corporation tax rates on us, as he is said to be in favour of.

Watched Reeling in the Years last night. When the last technical recession ended in 1983, 38,000 people joined the dole that year. Job creation didn't grow until 1994.

By contrast, 36k joined the dole in January this year alone. 150-200k people joined this year. It'll be many more years before they see the end of the recession.
    In 1996 I was finishing Uni and in my field there were almost no active jobs in Ireland unless you had 1. major connections or 2. got into the civil service. The private side of things were almost non-existent save for a few hardy souls plugging away. Graduates tended to move into teaching or go into another branch of the arts etc. I left Ireland, returning fully for a 6month spell in 1999 and saw that our "sector" had boomed, workers were becoming unionised and every gobsheen and spoofer was working. The students who had about as much application for our science were suddenly "independent contractors" and massive amounts of money were spinning around. There weren't enough workers available and at one point, down south in Waterford, a lad thumbing a lift was dragged on site for a days work and ended up staying a month.

Now those at the top of the profession are the same miscreants, spoofers and corrupt twits who have ruined Ireland's heritage for their own gain, yet advise on suicidal policies and even got into the universities as lecturers. As one former lecturer told me back at a work reunion in October, "We're in a one shot game, no come backs, which has played perfectly for those who have conned their way to the top."

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    The ERSI came out this morning to say we are in recovery but..... we carry an equal risk of expanding or contracting by the same amount this year. Talk about sitting on the fcekin fence.
    Personally, Jan 2010 is the worst start to any year in my working life.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    Your support of the incumbent in spite of this would seem to suggest a preclusion towards masochism.
    Last edited by dahamsta; 19/01/2010 at 12:12 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Is that a polilte (albeit confusing) way of saying I'm contradicting myself?

I've never said I support the current lot, though they have one or two worth while canditates.
    I have, however said an election right now doesn't serve us at all imo, but that I am really looking forward to the next election and FF canvasers calling at my house. I also think this shower are going full term, unfortunatly. My professional situation isn't a quick fix, my sector would probably lag a full year behind any pick up (or slow down), and going to be in the doldrms a while regardless who is in charge.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    The ERSI came out this morning to say we are in recovery but..... we carry an equal risk of expanding or contracting by the same amount this year. Talk about sitting on the fcekin fence.
    Personally, Jan 2010 is the worst start to any year in my working life.
    Arent they not FF, just like RTEFF? Would rather hear some real independent reports on our economy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    500 Posts
    There's no quick fix, however leaving these idiots in charge is a guarantee that it'll be a slower fix, and that's masochism. Politeness or otherwise doesn't come into it. It's a pretty simple concept, I'm surprised you have difficulty with it.

Like economics. Macro economics is hard, but macro economists - proper economists now, not the conflicted standard-bearers the banks or corporations roll out over here - would laugh at Ireland even being included in that field. We're a small country with a simple financial system and you don't need to go much further than bog standard economic rules to know which way the country is going to go if you do x, y or z. It's easy peasy stuff, our Leaving Cert students learn them. I did Leaving Cert Economics and I knew what was going to happen. That's why I waited until now to buy my house, from a liquidator.

The incumbents couldn't hack that. They didn't get that they were overinflating the economy. They still don't understand the harm they've done, and they still don't know how to fix it. So, leaving them in power is masochism. Understand?
    Last edited by dahamsta; 19/01/2010 at 12:42 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I'm sorry to dust off this old thread but thought it twas the best place for my comment. I paste a piece from RTE online

"A breakdown of the tax figures showed that €987m in income tax was taken in, down 6.2% or €65m from a year earlier. The income tax returns do not fully reflect the income tax rise and universal social charge introduced in the Budget, which will appear only in the February figures.
    Corporation tax jumped almost 78% to €72m, while VAT was up 3.6% to almost €1.7 billion. Excise duties were 8.2% higher at €281m, but capital gains tax was down almost a third at €18m. Stamp duties were 39% up at €41m. The Government is forecasting 9.9% growth in tax revenues for 2011 as a whole"

Corpo tax at 72m squids for the month is a joke when you consider they are talking out of the other side of their mouth reagrading record export and manuafturing figurers. I said it before last year, the 12.5% rate is one tax I think we can afford to increase and would advocate 15%. How much would an extra 2.5% of tax bring in I wonder? More than the USC I bet.
    Last edited by Fr Damo; 02/02/2011 at 5:16 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast