Thread: Approval for plan to meter home use of water

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Approval for plan to meter home use of water

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...260298123.html

WATER METERS will be installed in every home in the country over the next two years with a view to introducing domestic water charges from 2011.

Minister for the Environment John Gormley has been given Government approval for the ambitious nationwide scheme and is finalising preparations for its implementation.

The cost of providing meters for the domestic housing stock – the current figure is 1.2 million homes – is expected to cost €600 million and take two years to complete.
    The main problem is there is no incentive for domestic users to manage their water. They need to get people to use water butts etc, as in the UK.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    There's more issues than that. The water quality in many parts of the country is awful (Longford, or where I am in Wicklow for example), and they'd have some bloody cheek to try and charge for it. Also, is the main source of waste actually households, not leakage?

I'd agree about Water Butts - the councils should be operating schemes like they do for compost bins. And they are significantly more expensive here than in the UK.

Another nice stealth tax from the Government that isn't going to increase taxes, except for carbon taxes, water taxes etc. Perfect for FF as well - "it wasn't us, it was the Greens".
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    502 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    I'd agree about Water Butts - the councils should be operating schemes like they do for compost bins.
    Some do already, it seems. Fair dues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    Some do already, it seems. Fair dues.
    There's a hardware store on George's Street in Dublin that's been doing special offers on them for the last couple of months.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    It would make sense to have a tax rebate on these.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by centre mid View Post
    It would make sense to have a tax rebate on these.
    That would make too much sence. .

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Must admit I haven't checked for a while, and it is out of season, but that doesn't seem that discounted to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Must admit I haven't checked for a while, and it is out of season, but that doesn't seem that discounted to me.
    I'm sure a plastic dustbin and a garden hose would do the same job too.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    502 Posts
    It's likely to be the same as this one - Ecostore is run by Waste Solutions, a customer of mine, that supplies local authorities around Ireland - in which case it's €14 off €54, which is a hefty discount. To be fair to them like.

center mid, I've never used them but afaik you'll need to throw in a fancy valve or overflow mechanism too. (Park it near the drain!)

adam

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Fair enough. Last time I was looking I was comparing prices with the UK - 210l were circa £15 then. We've a Well, but it would be more convenient (and better) for watering in the garden - hard to justify when I've a perfectly good hose from the tap! Only cost saving would be esb for the pump.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    502 Posts
    Of course we all have taps, but the point behind water rates is supposed to be conservation and proper use of natural resources, not revenue generation. I've qualified that for obvious reasons.

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Of course we all have taps, but the point behind water rates is supposed to be conservation and proper use of natural resources, not revenue generation. I've qualified that for obvious reasons.
    I know that, I meant from a personal point of view - we've our own well/ water supply. We don't have mains water so my tap isn't costing anything, and won't be metered.

Just on that, I know people that will drill a well rather than pay for the quality of water they get. Come to think of it I do know of at least one house who did drill a well because of the quality of the mains water as of now when it is free at the point of use.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    502 Posts
    My next house will be built in a ruralish area, and I'm looking forward to having my own well. Why bother with mains when you don't need it?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Well it does cost a bit to drill, and you may need some filter (we do for iron/managnese), and there is ongoing maintenance of the pumps, but I wouldn't be on our local mains system if they paid me - The only black stuff I want to drink out of a tap is Guinness thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    502 Posts
    Neah, it'll be budgeted for, it's not an issue. My old man works off a well in his gaff in Sweden and only recently put a filter on it, christ it was gross to look at. Rust red, and it coated everything!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    This is a welcome measure and I cant see how anyone else can say otherwise. Irish people in general take water for granted and are very poor at conserving supplies. As long as the free threshold is set at a fair and realistic level this scheme will work very well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    502 Posts
    I think the only criticism that's been made in this thread is the quality of the water in some areas, in which case people are entitled to complain and/or refuse to pay until it's been improved. What else is being said otherwise?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    719 Posts
    I can't find the link now, but I've seen a fairly damning comparison of the rates which were proposed previously with those of commercial water services in the UK. It's clear that what we have here is mainly revenue generation. This is a wet country: an adequate water supply infrastructure would mean that conservation would be a non-issue - this isn't oil or some other non-renewable resource. Instead of investing in that, we'll take the opportunity to introduce a new stealth tax and call it incentivisation of conservation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    502 Posts
    The problem is that we don't have an aqequate water supply mechanism in Ireland. It leaks like a sieve. Of course we should be fixing that, but I guess their opinion is that water rates will pay for that. Of could we know it'll go towards raising the Taoiseach's wage back up to where it was in a couple of years...