Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone else finding it hard to give a damn about the sport since the incident?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts

Anyone else finding it hard to give a damn about the sport since the incident?

Maybe this sounds a bit silly but I feel like my passion for the sport has been drained entirely since the Henry incident and the kind of response that FIFA gave to it. It reminds me a bit of how I felt about christmas after I learned the truth about Santa Claus as a kid and how the magic was sucked out of the event.
    Or how I felt about the WWF when it finally tweaked in my mind that it was all actors and staged drama, nothing about it being genuine.

When I look at soccer now I've found myself looking at it much more cynically. Thinking of it as being far removed from the competitive sport the ancient greeks popularised about honour and pride and more about commercial entertainment. And the integrity of the game, wow. I don't know of any other sport where the head of the game would come out and admit he cheated as a child and most other players agreeing along the lines that they'd cheat whenever and wherever they could if they could get away with it. They aren't schoolkids here and part of the idea of sport is to be taught that it isn't all about winning at any cost and I guess I'm feeling disillusioned with it lately.

Anyone else feel the same or is it just me?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I definitely took it hard in the days following the game, and am still bitter about the whole thing.

I was totally disinterested in the first round of Premier League games following the incident, but now I've come around a bit and watched a couple of games this weekend.

I love the sport too much to fall out of love with it completely, but you could say we "took a break" for a while following some inappropriate ball fondling.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    I love it as much as ever.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    finding it harder to watch on tv, but my desire to actually play the game has probably gone up since we were knocked out

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    Still love the game but am very bitter bout the whole henry incident. Fair play to ppl who can move on but not everyone can so quickly unfortunately.

Watching Blatter,Platini and their croonies smug faces everyday on TV,Newspapers or internet is not helping.

The tears of the players as they came over to us at the end of the game will be etched in my mind for a long time. Its just knowing that the team,fans and coaching staff deserved so much better but yet all FIFA can do is laugh....just makes me so angry.

As they say "Time is a healer" and im sure that will be true with regards to this incident. For the moment however i will wallow in my bitterness over the whole incident.

But once February comes around and the draw for the euro 2012 happens im sure normality will be somewhat restored and we will all be looking forward to a fantastic euro 2012 campaign and hopefully ceased with looking back.

COME ON YOU BOYS IN GREEN
    Last edited by back of the net; 07/12/2009 at 10:54 AM.
    My Country is My Club.

Republic of Ireland Forever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Um_ZvP2cUdo

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    TBH - Finding it very hard. It has cut to the bone
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist thinks it will change; the realist adjusts the sails.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Yep, not even been posting on topics anywhere near as much as before, still very bitter and the fall out and especially last week between the FAI being dimmer then I thought possible (and that's coming from very low expectations), Blatter's behaviour and the draw has just keep the wound festering.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    No way, since I have seen this kind of thing happen all the time in the game, its part and parcel of it - from Eoin hand, Maradona's handball, Shumacher, various cheating Italian teams, FC Porto, etc etc etc
    It does happen a lot in "soccer"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Gavin Peers signed a new contract so No

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    [QUOTE=Murfinator;1289447
    Or how I felt about the WWF when it finally tweaked in my mind that it was all actors and staged drama, nothing about it being genuine.
    [/QUOTE]

Thats actually a huge pet peeve of mine. Those guys are amazing athletes. Nothing is genuine? They are really lifting each other up, pounding on each other, doing flips, etc...jumping from the top rope onto a wooden table (even if it is particle board) which crashes onto the concrete floor HURTS. Thye have to lift up 350 pound men. Over and over. Then throw them. They get crazy injuries all the time. I think they are way more real athletes than most people in other sports actually! They certainly do more long term damage to their bodies than almost anyone in any sport. Jessie Ventura was a Navy Seal, Kurt Angle is one of the most decorated wrestlers in world history, The Rock played D-1 football for Miami. None of them are actors.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    999 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Thats actually a huge pet peeve of mine. Those guys are amazing athletes. Nothing is genuine? They are really lifting each other up, pounding on each other, doing flips, etc...jumping from the top rope onto a wooden table (even if it is particle board) which crashes onto the concrete floor HURTS. Thye have to lift up 350 pound men. Over and over. Then throw them. They get crazy injuries all the time. I think they are way more real athletes than most people in other sports actually! They certainly do more long term damage to their bodies than almost anyone in any sport. Jessie Ventura was a Navy Seal, Kurt Angle is one of the most decorated wrestlers in world history, The Rock played D-1 football for Miami. None of them are actors.
    Thy may be amazing athletes, but I don't think anything where the outcome of a match is pre-determined as a matter of course can be considered sport. (cue a few posts about FIFa pre-determining a French victory etc)

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Unless you 'follow' Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool or Celtic meaninglessly from your armchair/barstool, football is mostly disappointment with very rare moments of ecstasy (which make all the heartbreak worthwhile).
    You'll get over it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    None of them are actors.
    They're all actors, it's entertainment. No one questions that they put themselves through a lot, but it's staged and it's choreographed movement, they're closer to a dance troupe than they are to sportsmen and women.

Daniel Day lewis trained as a boxer for months before making 'The Boxer', but he's not claiming he's a sportsman just because of the physical effort put in and the talent displayed during choreographed scenes played out for entertainment.

Anyway, to the thread topic, I was already well on "disillusionment road" due to repeated problems with my club and the domestic league; if anything I'd become numb to the kind of political shenanigans on display in recent weeks. I've always known Blatter was a moron. To sum up, the last few weeks have only confirmed what I've been feeling for a while, maybe that's why my outrage hasn't been to the levels of some, I'm just de-sensitised[sp?] to it all at this stage.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Good points tiktok. But while agreeing Blatter's a nasty piece of work, he's not moronic.

Just for the record, I didn't stop liking football when NI went two years without scoring a goal in 2002 and 2003.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    For me at 28 it was a real eye opener and a wake up call to the way in which Fifa operate. I am finding myself being pushed more in favour of Rugby.

However no mattter all the in -justices that have been and will continue to happen against us and other smaller nations I will never stop loving this Irish team.

We have a exciting year in prospect dispite the world cup matter -

Trap and co are still on board
    Euro draw.
    Argentina game
    New venue opening.
    Possible Brazil game ( they will be far more up for it this time with it being a world cup year)
    Other friendies and a possible invite to a tournament.
    Players like Gibson, Wilson, Coleman,Mc Cann, Dixon, Fahey,Ward, Foley, Yeates getting more involved with us and there clubs.

Possible call ups for players like O'Hara or Naughton, maybe Shane Duffy.

Lawernece and St Ledger getting more game time at this level..

Its not all doom and gloom

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Jessie Ventura was a Navy Seal, Kurt Angle is one of the most decorated wrestlers in world history, The Rock played D-1 football for Miami. None of them are actors.

Actually The Rock is an actor. Although not a very good one!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Seamus coleman for the ireland team
    Ahhh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bwagner View Post
    Players like Gibson, Wilson, Coleman,Mc Cann, Dixon, Fahey,Ward, Foley, Yeates getting more involved with us and there clubs.

Possible call ups for players like O'Hara or Naughton, maybe Shane Duffy.

Lawernece and St Ledger getting more game time at this level..

Its not all doom and gloom
    its the great form of many of our players coupled with new players coming through that adds to my frustration that we are not going to the WC

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    It was all very tough to take - and while we've had bitter disappointment before - the sheer injustice of the goal was particularly agonising.

It will be difficult - but the team and support will have to decide to use the manner of our defeat to spur us on for 2012. Use it as our motivation to succeed, so to speak.

It's an understatement, but I'm gutted we won't be there.

Yet, I was gutted in '88 when Vim Kieft headed us out, Schillachi in 90, Linekar's late goal against the Poles in '91, Anfield in 95, Belgium in 97, Macedonia in 99, Turkey in 99.

Bitter disappointment and sometimes disillusionment are nothing new.

I thinks its important that both team and support resolve to get over this and return even more determined than before.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Nope. Football is still football.

The ref's mistake in Paris is nothing new in football and people realising how rotten FIFA is are hardly the first to say it.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast