Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why do you love football?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Superb, Dodge ! Sums us all up I reckon ! As a Bohs fan since 1981 obviously I've gone though the mill until the last 10 years, so I have a huge admiration for the die hards from our less successful clubs, and those like Athlone Town who saw great years in the '80's, but may never see again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Dodge, you brought a tear to my eye. Replace Richmond with Gortakeegan and add in that we have no fans and no european adventures and you have taken it from my heart. Its the essence of why to a man and woman we will defend our league to non believers and why we bore everyone to death who doesnt understand. Thanks Dodge.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post

And thats another reason why i love the domestic game so much - its a much purer form of the game. Money seems to have corrupted the top level with gamesmansship, cheating, greed and sterility - and while watching the premiership and the champs league etc is still enjoyable ( last night was a cracker btw ) some of the heart and soul has gone out of the game.

Yeah agree, its the heart and soul of the game. Its like our own select club (loi fans), no one likes us but we dont care.
    I think and breathe football. Try and get to as many games as I can in the LOi, all over the place. Love the pre match banter, love seeing the irish style grounds, and love thats its our league.
    Its only a shame that my town (Mullingar) doesnt have senior foootball, or junior by the looks of it. I really envy all of ye guys that have clubs to support.
    Aside from that I have coached adult and underage teams, but as I am not settled yeat (workwise) I am not doing anything like that at the moment - but hope to pick it up again in the future
    Playing wise Im way gone, but who knows.....................might make a come back next year.....................

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I like football because my friend told me it was good and I hadn't the brain to do anything but believe him. Sad in ways ...
    May I hoke a reek?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Talking through your arse again Dodge..

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    superb post dodge.. I was never blessed to communicate in words that best sum my feelings but i agree with every aspect of your post ... Its why I love the league and the people that support it and play it and why I have lifelong friendships with fans on this site ..

if there was no loi i would have no life end of story..
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Followers of TV football don't count. its just different. Not saying you can't enjoy it, and I don't mind anyone doing it but its 100% different. My missus can watch Barcelona play and enjoy the spectacle. The movement, the artistry, the technique. She doesn't understand football though

I love everything about supporting Pats. From getting the fixtures and planning holidays around it. Getting excited at each rumour linking us to a top player. Trying to convince myself the donkey we've signed "will do a job". Going to pre-season games infront of 100 people and being genuinely excited to be "back". Proclaiming someone who scores in that pre-season kick about as "the new Gormley". 25 minutes later calling the same lad "the new Sean Mannion" and apologising to Gormley. Being anxious to see what the new kit looks ike and praying it doesn't have a big green blob on it. I love the lead up to the opening game of the season. Collecting my season ticket. First pint in Mcdowells with friends you haven't seen in months. Getting the programme and realising that a player you hate has signed for "them". I love being in Richmond Park despite its obvious flaws. I love the feeling of relief everytime the keeper catches an "up and under". I love the banter. I love screaming abuse at a player because 6 years ago he scored against us and stuck his fingers up at Pats fans. I love my centre midfielders clattering into tackles. I love a winger beating 2 and whipping a ball to the back post. I love handy victories. I love my stomache being in knots for the week leading up to big games. I love getting the bus to away games and drinking until I'm stupidly drunk, I love overnighting in towns around Ireland. I love watching Cup draws. I love getting a home draw. I love getting an away draw and convincing myself it'll be a great trip. I love the feeling of unity as fans walk towards turnstiles. I love last minute winners, I love last minute equalisers more. I love wearing a Pats t-shirt or jersey abroad and having great conversation with random Europeans about football. I love that Paul McGrath played for Pats. I love biting my nails when we have our backs to the wall defending a lead. I love seeing a guy in a Rovers top the day after beating them and having a smug grin on me. I love knowing he knows why I'm smiling too. I love going to places like Riga, Berlin, Gothenburg, Odense. I love reading old programmes. Ilove re-watching Pats goals on the internet over and over again. I love watching Soccer Saturday on Sky and seeing players who played for Pats pop up as scorers in the Scottish first division (and similar). I love knowing that even when we're **** we're still the best club around. I love boring the pants off people on the internet writing long winded love letters to Pats and football. I love being a part of a footballing community. I love being a football fan.
    I want to have your babys

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Good call Dodge.
    Many is the time i have spotted a fellow LOI fan on a non-match day wearing a scarf or badge, and I will start up a conversation. I saw a Rovers fan with a Hoops baseball cap in Hawaii when I was on honeymoon and we had a great chat. I purposely sat beside a Pat's fan on the Luas just because he had a Pat's scarf and we also had a great chat. More recently, I spotted 2 Dundalk fans having lunch in Galway on the day they were playing in Terryland and ditto.

I still don't know why I love football though.
    Nobody knows us, we don't care

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    Love football as it brings out so many emotions in you , From a fantastic victory to a heartbreaking loss. From the moment the final whistle blows in one game,you are looking forward to the next game already .For many supporting a football team is'nt just about going to the games, it's also a lifestyle .Through following Cork City i have been to loads of new places and met new people aswell.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    445 Posts
    Time to give up Dodge because you will never have a better post on foot.ie

Top class stuff and on the eve of a Dublin derby makes it more special
    Here on a technicality.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    I love sports because they bring out the best and worst in people and are the purest form of tribal gatherings and being part of a group that are left. I love football because it is a sport, because it is a way for a father to connect with his son and son with father. Football allows us to dream and have our dreams crushed or come true. Football and sport reveal our inner strengths and failings - a loss where we should have won gets far more discussion than one we romped home in. The width of a crossbar, a piledriver hitting it and the direction the ball takes, shows that the beauty of the act is more important than the ball bursting the net. I cannot separate football and sport, because both make us appreciate being able to wake up each morning, or wish we'd never been born. We're still all living in caves (evolution wise), sitting around a fire and sharing stories, all the technology and advances mean nothing, when I'm looking out at clear blues skies and feeling homesick after reading Dodge's post. Football has helped us all to connect on the same level. Even Nokia can't better that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddyfield View Post
    Good call Dodge.
    Many is the time i have spotted a fellow LOI fan on a non-match day wearing a scarf or badge, and I will start up a conversation. I saw a Rovers fan with a Hoops baseball cap in Hawaii when I was on honeymoon and we had a great chat. I purposely sat beside a Pat's fan on the Luas just because he had a Pat's scarf and we also had a great chat. More recently, I spotted 2 Dundalk fans having lunch in Galway on the day they were playing in Terryland and ditto.

I still don't know why I love football though.
    .....Thin line between "loving football" and stalking

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpsbear View Post
    Aaah Derry City. Remember when they used try and look down upon us.
    This week's table:
    1 Waterford United 21
    2 Derry City 19
    3 Monaghan United 15
    4 Shelbourne 13
    5 Limerick 13
    6 Athlone Town 13
    7 Cork City Foras Co-op 12
    8 Finn Harps 10
    9 Longford Town 7
    10 Salthill Devon 4
    11 Wexford Youths 4
    12 Mervue United 2

Excellent post Dodge, hope you don't mind if I quote you elsewhere on the web (full credit will be given).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Nah, fire way. Give us a shout if any newspapers want to sign me up for a column
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    League of ireland is the best league in the world,no doubt ! Its great to see players flying into challenges and playing the game the way it should be instead of watching tossers like ronaldo and drogba throw themselves all over the place and having their little tantrums when there hair gets wet !
    Ahhh

16. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran W View Post
    League of ireland is the best league in the world,no doubt ! Its great to see players flying into challenges and playing the game the way it should be instead of watching tossers like ronaldo and drogba throw themselves all over the place and having their little tantrums when there hair gets wet !
    You know I never thought of the league as a real spectacle until I sat watching MNS with a German (and then discussing it with an Argentine) the thing they loved was how players got on with the game - and they enjoyed the speed, meaty challenges and lack of playacting. Good post Ciaran!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    Road trips. Big part of the enjoyment of the League is getting the car with your mates and heading somewhere for a nights football and craic. We have just arrived in Galway for tomorrow nites game, 3 footie mad women, wine, vodka & a nite on the tiles in Galway.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I used to love football, don't really anymore. I can't stop going though.
    They always cheat, they always lie
    **** Delaney and the FAI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairy Bowsie View Post
    I used to love football, don't really anymore. I can't stop going though.
    It's like a marriage now so.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    The match day food
    Ahhh

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast