Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We have a defender, a winger and an attacker lined up....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts

We have a defender, a winger and an attacker lined up....

A quote from Trapp used on another thread. Just thought I'd start this one from a purely speculative perspective. Nothing about the merrits of 2nd generation selection or ignoring top LOI players.

Just putting it out there to see if anyone can cite some current players that would fit the mould of no senior competitive International starts playing in the premiership that would improve the squad (excluding current U21s). Even if it's wishfull thinking at this stage and doesn't include a defender Winger or attcker. We're gravitating toward the Irish names like Cahill etc, but there's nothing Irish sounding about St Ledger.

Nolan, O'Hara, Naughton has been bantered about. I seriously doubt they're looking at McSheffrey at this stage. Any one else he could be talking about? Turner from Sunderland maybe??
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    but there's nothing Irish sounding about St Ledger.
    There was an Anthony St. Ledger who was Lord Deputy of Ireland in the 16th Century. He probably has descendents all over the country St. Ledger is an old anglo-Irish name.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    Any one else he could be talking about? Turner from Sunderland maybe??
    Has he got any links??

In the other thread I speculated about Matthew Connolly, a former Arsenal trainee who played under Brady there, he'd been in youth squads before and then got called into the England U21's, I reckon Matthew Kilgallon from Sheffield United is another possible in defence....its questionable whether either is any better than what we have now ourselves though. Naughton would be a real asset though if he switches.

My guess is that Hogan Ephraim is the winger...made it known last year that he was eligible, plays for QPR....a haunt of Tardelli and is really the kind of young exciting player we should be looking at...not lik McSheffrey.

The Striker is harder to work out....could it be Dave Kitson?
    You show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser - Vince Lombardi

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Does the quote from Trap say they are playing in England?
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangball View Post

The Striker is harder to work out....could it be Dave Kitson?

I will be extremely disappointed if he pulls on an Ireland jersey. I've nothing against the 2nd generation players (I am 2nd generation), but this guy openly came out and said, "I'm not Irish and have no desire to play for Ireland." And, he's not even that good.

Naughton should be the focus. Also, O'Hara for some strength in depth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts
    Matthew Connolly, Dave Kitson, Naughton, O'Hara .... blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Journeymen the lot of them. Why not look at players such as McCann at Burnley and Wilson at Portsmouth in the next friendly whenever that is? I think Kevin Foley needs to be given a few games to show what he can do. If Owen Garvan can start commanding first team football at club level, I'd like to see him get a run out at senior level. And now that the qualification campaign for the WC is over, maybe Trap can start considering Andy Reid again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    I would be happy with O'Hara playing for us as I think he could bring something in; however it would be on the basis that he actually wants to play for us due to some affinity and not solely because it would be a career move. That should be the starting point.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    571 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by magnumpi View Post
    I will be extremely disappointed if he pulls on an Ireland jersey. I've nothing against the 2nd generation players (I am 2nd generation), but this guy openly came out and said, "I'm not Irish and have no desire to play for Ireland." And, he's not even that good.

Naughton should be the focus. Also, O'Hara for some strength in depth.
    I doubt if its Kitson to be honest. I would say he is no spring chicken and he has not been setting the furze(thats irish heahter in my neck of the woods) alight lately

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    I'd rather bring Clinton back into the squad than bring in Kitson
    O'Hara is a good squad player, can play/cover 3 positions and is an ideal O'Shea type cover player.
    Naughton I've only seen once although he's highly rated, full backs are a bit of a bugbear for me, I think we're short here and he could do a job.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Matthew Connolly, Dave Kitson, Naughton, O'Hara .... blah, blah, blah, blah, blah. Journeymen the lot of them. Why not look at players such as McCann at Burnley and Wilson at Portsmouth in the next friendly whenever that is? I think Kevin Foley needs to be given a few games to show what he can do. If Owen Garvan can start commanding first team football at club level, I'd like to see him get a run out at senior level. And now that the qualification campaign for the WC is over, maybe Trap can start considering Andy Reid again.

Dude... There's loads of other posts and threads advocating fringe players like Wilson, McCann Garvan & Foley. The first post said this thread was merely about the possibility someone coming from left field given Trapps statement. So I'm just thinking outside of our current scope of selection. A bit of fun/wishfull thinking if nothing else. I've no issue with another McAteer or Morrison emerging at this stage.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Kitson is one of the worst footballers i have ever seen and i would cry if he played for ireland
    Ahhh

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran W View Post
    Kitson is one of the worst footballers i have ever seen and i would cry if he played for ireland
    but he has red hair....
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wangball View Post
    Has he got any links???
    Re Turner. Not that I've read. Based on nothing other than he's not committed elsewhere just yet.

Gary O'Neill... Has he ever been linked??

www.thefastleague.com

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    What about the Newcastle striker, Andy Carroll, he has played under 19's for England, could he fit the bill....it states on the other thread, that maybe they qualify for England under 21's....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Yeah!! I'd say it'd be another Jon Macken there!!!

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    I never said I wanted Kitson! Just thinking aloud....what other Irish qualified strikers are there out there at the moment??

As for Andy Carroll, I remember when I lived in Scotland they were invovled in an "international tug of war" for him, not sure if he links in with us at all

As somebody pointed out we're all guessing on the basis of Irish sounding names, we could be waaaaaaay off the mark....could end up being Bobby Zamora or something!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Kitson aside, the other's hardly qualify as journeymen

If anything Andy Reid (Forest, Spurs, Charlton, Sunderland) is the most journey-man-like player in your post

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I don't really think we need any new players.

Anyone we'd bring in would probably not be as good as what we have.

I had reservations about a number of players before the French game in Paris but they upped their game a good bit.

We just need to get the existing players to gel better. We need to see Keith Andrews doing what he did in Paris, the box to box stuff, breaking up the play, etc. We need Whelan, who I think was carrying a knock in Paris, to up his workrate too.

We need more goals. We should be putting 2 or 3 past teams like Bulgaria and we need to be clinical when we get chances.

The Doyle-Keane partnership creates chances, mostly for Robbie, but I'd like to see it produce more chances for Doyle and for the partnership to deliver the goals. We also need more goals from our midfielders and wingers.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    ya thing is though those players can only play out of their skin in those sorta situations they are not going to be able play like their lives depended on it every game.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    50 Posts
    Also, where's the harm in increased competition for places? I t may motivate the likes of Whelan & Andrews to up their games.

As it is the pressure should be on them now to produce those kind of performances from now on in, we all know they're capable of it now so the mediocre performances that they may of previously put in just won't cut it

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast