Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What can be done to improve the League of Ireland?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    172 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BohDiddley View Post
    Cough.

You'd want to get something for that cough.
    Can I suggest some sort of buy out for the last few bits of that ground of yours.
    or you could get some benylin. special offer on in tesco's at the moment.
    Shamrock Rovers- Where trophies are won and envy is scarce

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    great advertisement for bohs and bray there

well done lewis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Another thing that I feel needs to be brought in is points deductions for teams failing to pay players on a consistent basis. Maybe some sort of 3 strikes policy could be brought in here - it is the LOI after all, and 1 cancelled home game due to bad weather can leave clubs struggling for cash.
    In a case like that, I wouldn't expect or demand points deductions, but in the cases of Cork and Derry this year, they deserve it for treating their players (and employees) like crap. Most teams were only playing players too much in order to get on-field success, so if the chances of that are scuppered by possible points deductions, it should theoretically prevent them from paying the stupid wages in the first place.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Cough.

What city is that Chernobyl?
    Champions 2010
    Champions 2011
    Dick Brush 1 Sligo 0
    Bohs are going bust.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Cough.

Ok Liberty Hall and the Spire, but what is everything else?
    If you've nothing good to say, say it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    One of the major things that can be done to improve the League of Ireland is stopping coming up with stupid reasons for the problems that have nothing to do with the problem. Going from 12 Premier teams to 10 didn't solve the problem, and you can bet your ass 10 to 16 won't solve the problem. The format of the league has nothing to do with the problem.

The country is in recession at the moment, and football clubs are being hit just like businesses throughout the country are being hit, companies going in to administration and liquidation everywhere, and a few clubs going the same way, very hard to maintain a decent cashflow at the moment.

On the plus side, what clubs everywhere should be doing, and I think in a large number of cases are doing, is getting their house in order, putting in systems in place to run a club in an efficient, cost-efficient manner, not blowing money chasing pipedreams, and investing in youth, both as players and fans.

Personally I believe that the LOI post-recession, will be a more stable 1 than pre-recession, thanks largely to the amount of work clubs have had to do to keep themselves above water during the recession.
    Lets redefine what it means to heal

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CSFShels View Post
    One of the major things that can be done to improve the League of Ireland is stopping coming up with stupid reasons for the problems that have nothing to do with the problem. Going from 12 Premier teams to 10 didn't solve the problem, and you can bet your ass 10 to 16 won't solve the problem. The format of the league has nothing to do with the problem.

The country is in recession at the moment, and football clubs are being hit just like businesses throughout the country are being hit, companies going in to administration and liquidation everywhere, and a few clubs going the same way, very hard to maintain a decent cashflow at the moment.

On the plus side, what clubs everywhere should be doing, and I think in a large number of cases are doing, is getting their house in order, putting in systems in place to run a club in an efficient, cost-efficient manner, not blowing money chasing pipedreams, and investing in youth, both as players and fans.

Personally I believe that the LOI post-recession, will be a more stable 1 than pre-recession, thanks largely to the amount of work clubs have had to do to keep themselves above water during the recession.
    Fully agree. So many small things need to be fixed and tightened up first, before we talk about mass marketing campaigns and 16-team leagues.

I'm surprised that nobody saw fit to comment on my ticket scanning suggestion? (apart from a still annoyed roinuj, but he doesn't count)
    Last edited by brianw82; 28/11/2009 at 1:54 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    The smaller the league the better IMO,more competition.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    yeah for the players, makes no difference if your a fan and your seeing bohs vs bray 4 times a season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    One massive league would ruin football in this country imo. 7 games in it will become clear that only half the teams have anything left to play for. The gaps between top and bottom would be huge and would make it very hard for the bottom teams to drum up support. Luckily, the FAI know all this so this will not be done.

Basically we need to invest in facilities and then try and get a bandwagon effect going at the start of the season. Large marketing campaign, tv, radio, shopfronts, flags and banners in the towns, special deals on the first few games. It's then up to the club to make sure the crowds have a good time. Mascott and crap for the yougens, general good atmosphere around the ground (large, committed singing section) and entertaining football (a big ask I know).....

We have to get people in and do whatever we van to keep them coming back.
    Last edited by fionnsci; 30/11/2009 at 9:32 AM.
    "If you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime,"
    “Crikey, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea,"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Cough.

Is that really the Dublin skyline.....?!?

By God - there's not much to look at is there.

Isn't that one of the statues from Easter Island on the right, a British Army watchtower on the left, and Big Ben in the middle ? And I'm sure there's a minaret in there too.

Bar the Hypo, there's not much to recognise in the Dublin skyline it seems...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by placid casual View Post
    You'd want to get something for that cough.
    Can I suggest some sort of buy out for the last few bits of that ground of yours.
    or you could get some benylin. special offer on in tesco's at the moment.
    I would say three in a row will cure that cough pretty nicely Seriously, as Dublins top club Bohs would obviously have the honour of representing the county (SRFC can of course represent Wickla).

Clubs not making damaging slurs against other clubs would also improve the image of the League.

Some very good ideas in this thread (even if some not too practical) it would be a good idea for the FAI to initiate a process to canvass fans on thier views and to get input to the League structure. If not before this should certainly be done before the League structure review in two years time (although I see no reason to wait !)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    I thought there is supposed to be a league review right now ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    I would say three in a row will cure that cough pretty nicely Seriously, as Dublins top club Bohs would obviously have the honour of representing the county (SRFC can of course represent Wickla).

Clubs not making damaging slurs against other clubs would also improve the image of the League.

Some very good ideas in this thread (even if some not too practical) it would be a good idea for the FAI to initiate a process to canvass fans on thier views and to get input to the League structure. If not before this should certainly be done before the League structure review in two years time (although I see no reason to wait !)
    Since when was Tallaght in Wicklow?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tippex View Post
    Since when was Tallaght in Wicklow?
    since when was wicklow in dublin?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    since when was wicklow in dublin?
    Hasn't been part of Dublin for 400 years now. Shame. Though Bray's been creeping back, I'm looking at you Old Connaught.

Like I said in a previous thread I've been wrecking my head the whole time with formats etc for the league.

But there's one question that has always got me and I can't really figure out a decent answer...

Why is it that we NEED to play 30+ games in a season. I know it's proper convention in Europe but there's no need for convention in Ireland due to the unconventional league and the fact that we have 3 other major field sports to compete with for starters not to mention the world's biggest league across the sea and a divided soccer jurisdiction!

We keep trying to work out what the best amount of teams would be but stopping short as to the reason why we play each team 2/3/4/5 times or whatever in a season in the league.

We all know that playing more home games equates to more income in theory but would not playing fewer but more meaningful home games not be more advantageous. It also means spending less money on away games which a lot of clubs can't afford at the moment, esp in the FD.
    The main problem with the LOI is a lack of interest with the general population and a lack of understanding of what the population wants/likes.

As a nation we are complete event/success junkies. So let's start thinking along those lines. Having a Bohs/Rovers game only twice a season makes it an occasion. Having them on prime-time TV makes it watchable. Having bigger croawds makes it more watchable. Having it more watchable on TV would make more people want to go and so on ad infinitum.

We need a combination of all POSITIVE ideas to get us back to where we want this league to be in the future.

We have had some decent contributions in this thread and we should keep it up. The solution is in there.

Stability is the priority but we need an ambition outside of that stability.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    A lot of good ideas here in fairness and, as BonnieShels says, a combination of positive ideas is needed.

14-16 teams would be my ideal played on a one home and one away basis. Between the League and various Cup competitions there are far too many 'here we go again' moments. Sligo and Cork City played each other 7 times this season and had another postponed - you're never going to attract a large crowd to matches 5,6 or 7 unless there's something huge at stake.

Bring the FAI Cup forward as well. November/December is a terrible time for a Cup Final. Play it in September at the latest. Look at the crowds that Fingal could have attracted after the Cup Final if they had another half dozen games left.

Honesty and Integrity are another two vital ingredients. On this point I do believe that we're getting there slowly. I'd agree with Fran Gavin that there are only a few chancers left but unfortunately even one is enough to leave a sour taste and all the wrong headlines. I also believe (I may be one of the few!!!) that the FAI are going about things in the right manner now and hopefully their intolerant attitude to the nod and wink manner of business will rub off on the Clubs. Accounts, attendances etc have to be forthcoming and honest.

Treated as a business then this League can be successful. Clubs must do what they can to increase their business, same as anybody else. This may be by reducing ticket prices, offering incentives in the form of Ireland or other tickets, maintaining links with schoolboy clubs, more aggressive advertising or whatever. It's up to each Club to devise their own strategy dependent on their own circumstances and location. Offer all Schoolboy clubs in your area tickets to sell (or pre-book) with them retaining 10/20% of the ticket price for the benefit of their own club. it's in their interest then to sell as many as they can. Have the CPO liase with the secretary or liason officer of each club.

The recent An Post voucher scheme was quite a good idea but should be run for the first month of the season, not the last. Get the kids in and hopefully they'll pester Mammy or Daddy for the rest of the season.

The Clubs need to talk to each other as well. Brainstorm and share ideas. If one club finds a strategy that works for them then they should be sharing it - another may be able to develop it further.

Just to add to the idea of a media campaign... where possible well known personalities could be used, even some of the Irish squad, and people like Westlife, Robert Bergin, Jimmy Magee, Jonathon Rhys Myers and others.

Keep thinking folks... best one of these threads in a while.
    Last edited by twowheelsonly; 01/12/2009 at 1:10 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dcfcsteve View Post
    Isn't that one of the statues from Easter Island on the right, a British Army watchtower on the left, and Big Ben in the middle ? And I'm sure there's a minaret in there too.
    It's clearly Raiden from Mortal Combat on the Far left.
    I'm not sure the scale is correct though, I don't think he's as tall as the spire.
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twowheelsonly View Post
    Jonathon Rhys Myers
    You were doing so well until then...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    we need a fit and proper persons test like they have in the EPL