Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Player by Player rating of the lads this campaign.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    118 Posts

Player by Player rating of the lads this campaign.

Goalkeepers
    -----------

Shay Given - 6 - Some great saves throughout but was telling this campaign was he wasn't the usual "saviour" as he was in the past due to solid defending at the back (for the most part) throughout.

Keiran Westwood - 5 - Looks like a serious backup option at club level but went criminally underused in friendly games throughout the campaign.

Dean Kiely - 1 - Can understand his frustration at not getting game time but if you don't have patience you don't deserve to be an international. Didn't see him walking out on West Brom when he was sitting on the bench.

-----------------------------

Defenders
    ----------

Richard Dunne - 8 - A rock throughout and a real lynchpin in our defence, sometimes liable for clumsy tackles but when he's on his game as he was in the matches where it counted like the 6 french, italian and bulgarian games there's nobody I'd rather have in the centre back line.

John O Shea - 9 - At long last showed what he's capable of in a green shirt. Forged a solid partnership with Dunne in the first half of the campaign and was usually faultless when playing at right back, he really won my respect this campaign.

Sean St.Ledger - 7 - Came from the wilderness into the first team in the second and settled in reasonably well, a couple of mistakes but his performances against France especially underlined what an exciting prospect he is going forward. Will surely be a top class defender sooner rather than later.

Kevin Kilbane - 3 - Not a natural left back so you can forgive him to an extent but showed to be a weak spot throughout and really struggled defensively. His saving grace was the away leg to France where he was downright magnificent both in attack and defence. Realistically needs to be replaced as a starter.

Stephen Kelly - 3 - Struggled badly to get back to where he was after injury. Struggled in the early stages against (Georgia?) and never really recovered and was never really trusted since. A step backwards this campaign.

Paul McShane - 3 - McShane's campaign was as frustrating as the last. One moment he can do something brilliant, the next something ridiculous and you're down a goal. Sloppy covering led to Henry's hand of god incident which is what we'll all probably remember from him this campaign. Still young, and he's got himself a starting position at Hull so I wouldn't rule out his future chances just yet.

----------

Midfielders
    ---------

Glenn Whelan - 9 - I didn't trust him at all at the start but he grew into the team more and more with each passing game, by the end becoming a key player in the side. It was a tribute to his rise in stature that when he went off against France injured there were groans of disappointment from everyone, if that happened in the first game I'd probably be pleased believing he wasn't good enough for the position. Two wonder strikes always helps too.

Keith Andrews - 7 - Another emerged talent and whatever about some of the games where he went missing in he was titantic in both French encounters performing like Lassanna Diarra wished he could in the 2nd leg.

Darron Gibson - 5 - Not at a starter level yet but he's steadily growing to that level, a good passer of the ball and never really let the team down.

Steven Reid - 8 - In the 3 games he played he was argubly MoM in each of them. Magnificent passer and set the team in motion brilliantly. Usual injury problems hampered him after that.

Damien Duff - 8 - Back to his sparkling best, brilliant ball retention and linked up with Robbie Keane magnificently for important goals once again. When fit he's got to be an automatic selection like Given, Dunne and Keane.

Aiden McGeady - 4 - Don't know how long this guy is going to be able to live on potential. He had some top class performances where he'd showcase magnificent skill but there's still no end product on it, he still gives the ball away too much and he's still a liability for defensive cover.

Stephen Hunt - 6 - Impact sub supreme but he'll be disappointed he never really nailed down a starting position.

Liam Lawrence - 9 - A great find in the second half of the campaign and shone brightly in the games he started. He's intelligent, crafty, good crosser, good set piece taker and provides defensive cover. A great all rounder and sure to be a starter next campaign.

Andy Keogh - 2 - He's not a winger and despite some great pre-campaign friendlies he linked up horribly with Kelly early in the campaign to concede badly and that was the end of him.

-----------

Forwards
    -------

Robbie Keane - 9 - Great campaign, crucial goal after crucial goal. Some will argue he didn't offer enough outside of goals but I'd counter that's just the kind of player Robbie Keane is. He's a fox in the box kind of player, taking chances is his stronghold and how Trap and Redknapp could even consider him as an attacking midfielder, or Benitez a wide right player frankly baffles me.

Kevin Doyle - 6 - A lot of work but very little end product this campaign. Nothing was a lost cause and I greatly respect his work rate but his goal tally and link up with Keane is a little worrying. He needs to be taking his chances and I felt RTE were handing him MoM left right and centre for little cause. Hard work is great but it counts for little without something at the end of it. Maybe worked a little too hard as well, I felt by the end of the French game his stamina was gone and was making silly mistakes out of tiredness, made sense at that point why Trap kept taking him off at 60 minutes.

Caleb Folan - 7 - Linked up with Keane far better than Doyle good acting almost like a holding player in the striking role. Caleb is great at winning the ball and flicking on, very poor at direct chances on goal so there's a balance decision there for trap next campaign. We won't forget his Italian performance and I think we'd have all liked him to be there as an impact option against France.

Leon Best - 2 - Good friendly game against South Africa but came on in important games a few times and looked like a liability. Isn't up to this level yet and was frustrating he was kept being called upon when his more experienced teammate Morrison was left out.

Overall a very pleasing campaign that gives us a lot of hope for the future. I'd like to see the likes of Long, Keogh, Miller, Stokes etc removed and different options given a chance. It felt like some people were just brought to make up the numbers and were never thought of as serious competition for a first team place.

Trap promised chances for players out of the squad so for upcoming friendlies I'd like to see the likes of Andy Reid, Clinton Morrison, S.Reid and Finnan given their opportunities. I'm still feeling down about Wednesday but you have to feel looking at our squad now and our squad two years ago along with some of the players pushing for a place that there's no reason not to be optimistic for the Euros.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    What three games did Steven Reid play in?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    In what games did Westwood and Kiely play? You can't rate players for sitting on the bench. If so, then Shane Long, Liam Miller etc should be awarded marks. Shay Given getting 6 also looks a bit mean tbh.
    'And Crouch must score'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Also, calling for Trap to include Clint and Finnan in upcoming friendlies is farcical. Both players' international careers are finished. Steven Reid has one last chance and Andy Reid should definitely be included.

Time to blood Kevin Foley, Eddie Nolan, Keith Fahey, Chris McCann and others into the international fold.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [Kevin Doyle - 6 - A lot of work but very little end product this campaign. Nothing was a lost cause and I greatly respect his work rate but his goal tally and link up with Keane is a little worrying. He needs to be taking his chances and I felt RTE were handing him MoM left right and centre for little cause. Hard work is great but it counts for little without something at the end of it. Maybe worked a little too hard as well, I felt by the end of the French game his stamina was gone and was making silly mistakes out of tiredness, made sense at that point why Trap kept taking him off at 60 minutes.

Kevin Doyle 6?????
    Doyler was the most consistant player of campaign. The position Trap plays him in means there will be very little end resu. He plays teh same role Aldo played in, and his goals per game rario was way behind his club ratio for years. Doyler ran his socks off ebery game, how many posessions did we get from him charging thekeeper or full back and they rush a clearance. Also for a guy who isnt that tall he can win a lot of knock ons(A La Paris)
    Robbie Keane 6??? Mr inconsistancy!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    399 Posts
    What about Rory Delap? He will be our throw in savior in Rio. I just know it.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    What about Rory Delap? He will be our throw in savior in Rio. I just know it.
    I think Delap is playing midfield for Stoke the last few seasons, but he seems a very good utliity player.

I think his long thrown in is a very good option to have especially in the last 20 minutes of a game and he's definately worth calling up into the squad for that alone. I know the purists would have a fit if that happens but I hope the purists have learnt from the WC campaign that its goals and not good football that win games.

We played very classy football in Paris, the best in years, yet still only scored a single goal. I'd rather we played hoof it football against the French and score 3 or 4 goals, having said that the football we played was effective in Paris.

I don't think McShane should be in the Euro qualifying squad. He is definately an accident waiting to happen. Like many others I just didn't understand why Trap brought McShane on in Paris. Surely there must be a decent right back with Irish blood somewhere in the world. I think even Delap would do a decent job in that position.

I'm starting a get Delap in the squad campaign for the Euros.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    I'd like to see two Reids, Delap and Damien Delaney included in next squad. Delaney for me would be a viable replacement for Kilbane.

Where was Noel Hunt in the ratings?
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,612 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    Where was Noel Hunt in the ratings?
    he's trying to claim some of Keanes marks.

Good post Murfinator.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    he's trying to claim some of Keanes marks.
    ha ha
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    I'm not going to do the ratings just comments.

Given - solid and reliable - hadn't much to do throughout the campaign. I'd like to see him made captain but not going to happen.

O'Shea - has matured into a great right back, excellent in Paris

Dunne - commanding in Paris, but should have attacked the Malouda free kick and played to the whistle. Probably tired and a loss of concentration caused it.

St. Ledger - nailed down his position at the centre of defence. Trap getting the best out of this player.

Kilbane - mixed bag. Still a lot to learn about defending and getting tight to players who are in a shooting position. Did well in Paris apart from a mistake or two.

Andrews - silenced his critics once and for all in Paris. Created the platform for our attacking play with his tackles and breaking up of French play. A real box to box performance. Definately there to stay in the centre of the park and closed the door once and for all on A. Reid playing there.

Whelan - scored goals and put in the tackles including in our own box. What more can you ask for in a midfielder? Tired badly in both French games but definately has the ability and once again Trap getting the best out of a player from an average club side.

Lawrence - one of the finds of the campaign - great technical ability and able to turn players, something we have been missing in midfield for years. Did well to set up the missed Keane chance. The match in Paris probably finished the argument about who is better McGeady or Lawrence, Lawrence no question. Trap's type of player, honest, hard-working, will run all night, model professional, and crucially with an end product.

Duff - would have been our player of the campaign if it wasn't for injury. More deserving of being in South Africa than most of the French players.

Doyle - tough ask playing alongside the notoriously selfish Robbie Keane. Did well in Paris though, but Keane has a habit of pushing Doyle wide and out of danger with his passes.

Keane - Once more showed in Paris that he needs 4 golden opertunities for every goal he scores. Has a high individual scoring rate for Ireland but I am convinced it's at the expense of the team. He'd prefer to shoot from an impossible situation than lay it off to someone better placed. Does not link up at all well with Doyle and prefers to have a striker alongside him who will set him up for goals but not the other way around. Notoriously self-centred for club and country and probably one of the reasons Ireland hardly every score more than one goal in big games.

Subs

Folan - another find of the campaign. Won almost everything in Bari. Held the ball up well. Normally you would expect forwards to fight a losing battle against central defenders, but Folan dominated the Italian defence who didn't know how to handle him and created chance after chance for the rest of the Irish team. I'd rather see him playing than Robbie Keane any day, but the purists would be outraged.

McShane - this guy will cause Irish supporters heartache after heartache for years to come if allowed to play for the Irish team.

McGeady - lots of running but no end product and Paris confirmed this. Never looked threathening, unable to shoot, pass or cross.

Hunt - lots of energy and running and tracking back. Almost scored a wondergoal in Bari. Needs a lot of time to get into a match, but I don't think he is as good as Lawrence.

Best - never on long enough to show what he can do, but still looks dangerous in the air. I'd have him on before McGeady.
    Last edited by Emmet7; 21/11/2009 at 5:47 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Think St Ledger deserves a 9. Excellent in pretty much every game he has played for us, despite being thrown in at the deep end half way through the campaign. Remember this is from a player that hasn't played 1 minute in the Premiership

Giving Doyle 6 is simply shocking.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    By the way, I'd like to see Stephen Ireland and Rory Delap on the bench. You couldn't depend on Ireland as a starting player, because if his girlfriend had the flu or someone made fun of him, he wouldn't turn up for the next match.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmet7 View Post
    By the way, I'd like to see Stephen Ireland and Rory Delap on the bench. You couldn't depend on Ireland as a starting player, because if his girlfriend had the flu or someone made fun of him, he wouldn't turn up for the next match.
    are you serious,stephen ireland should never be welcomed back to the irish set up,he is a treacherous rat...take a look at whelan and andrews giving everything they have in paris and ireland's interview in the sun saying he couldnt care less if they didnt qualify,he has no loyalty to his country...hope trap gives up on him and doesnt try to convince him to come back,he's not worthy of a place in the squad in my eyes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    485 Posts
    Goalkeepers
    -----------

Shay Given - 7
    Keiran Westwood - 5
    Dean Kiely - 0

-----------------------------

Defenders
    ----------

Richard Dunne - 9
    John O Shea - 9
    Sean St.Ledger - 8
    Kevin Kilbane - 5
    Stephen Kelly - 4
    Paul McShane - 4
    ----------

Midfielders
    ---------

Glenn Whelan - 8
    Keith Andrews - 7
    Darron Gibson - 6
    Steven Reid - 6
    Damien Duff - 7
    Aiden McGeady - 6
    Stephen Hunt - 7
    Liam Lawrence - 8

-----------

Forwards
    -------

Andy Keogh - 4
    Robbie Keane - 9
    Kevin Doyle - 6
    Caleb Folan - 7
    Leon Best - 4

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    Steven Reid - 8 - In the 3 games he played he was argubly MoM in each of them. Magnificent passer and set the team in motion brilliantly. Usual injury problems hampered him after that.
    I'm getting sick and tired of all this Steven Reid arse licking. He has only played 23 times since his debut in 2001. Everyone keeps saying Steven Reid this, Steven Reid that, surely a big part of playing professional football is that your body can cope with the rigours of it and it is clear that Reid is not able for it. I'm not saying that he is not a talented player but can we please get over him.
    Last edited by Billy-Green; 22/11/2009 at 3:44 PM.
    We'll never die, we'll never die

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quite a comprehensive post for someone who feels so disassociated with players who either work or were born in another country and who struggles to identify with our national team.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    So, who would be player of the campaign? O'Shea or Keane?

I think Doyle was excellent. Fed on scraps and ran himself into the ground for the whole campaign (or the 70% he played due to being taken off) Needs to get more goals though.
    Last edited by twoenz; 24/11/2009 at 12:52 PM.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    842 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twoenz View Post
    So, who would be player of the campaign? O'Shea or Keane?

I think Doyle was excellent. Fed on scraps and ran himself into the ground for the whole campaign (or the 70% he played due to being taken off) Needs to get more goals though.
    Hard to pick one. Richard Dunne was a colosis at times too, away to Bulgaria especially
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Player of the group stages - Richard Dunne
    Best Newcomer - Liam Lawerence

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast