Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: John Delaney

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    how must he look to everyone else in europe??? any wonder irish football is a laughing stock when we have this clown involved, every other organisation are surely laughing at us in uefa and to think this guy is involved in possibly bringing a major tournament to the country? why any other fa takes his seriously is beyond me!!

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Comic Book Guy View Post
    What if the CEO of another competing European association had carried on in the same fashion as he did in Sopot? He'd have been sacked long since. But hey this is Ireland where unaccountability is something we're tuly world class at. IMO he has to go but I have no doubt he has surrounded himself with yes men who will stick up for him or else.
    Not sure it's a lack of accountability, I'm just not convinced a majority see it as a total embarrassment. In one of the youtube clips I've seen a few fans trying to give him a bit of abuse were clearly threatened for daring to!
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    ComicBookGuy - how about this. The head of a major association, so cheesed off that his team lost, stormed off home on his private jet, apart from the team. As he left he insulted a number of fans and had the stupidity to tell waiting reporters that their accreditation would be pulled from home (he can do that).

Or maybe a head honcho (one of the national association selectors and buddy and partner with the manager of the team) for another 1st round loser country - who got so drunk after his country flopped in their final game, that he beat up a fan for daring to question why his players were selected for the side at the expense of those not contracted to his agency. This same gentleman "evicted" a cafe owner so brutally back in the mid-90's that there was talk that he might actually be charged with something. However as one of the national team stars then he was let off.

JD might make an eejit of himself - because the team didn't do well, but he's not the worst. He could be Jack Warner!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    160 Posts
    It's his salary really that amazes me.
    "not the worst" gets 400k a year. Not good enough.

Formerly skibbereen co.cork but now Oregon USA
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    25 Posts
    west cork district league
    west cork commandos

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    John Delaney has to be out. The league is falling a part. Driving it into the ground he is.
    https://foot.ie/forums/117-Kerry-FC
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.
    Opportunity lost for new clubs/regions to join the LoI family.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    63 Posts
    Who would be a suitable replacement for him though? surely a promotion internally wouldn't address the problems within Abbotstown, just change the figurehead?
    For once maybe someone will call me "sir" without adding "you're making a scene."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by horton View Post
    Who would be a suitable replacement for him though? surely a promotion internally wouldn't address the problems within Abbotstown, just change the figurehead?
    There shouldn't be any money coming from tax payers though with a CEO being paid so much and a league falling a part which is not of benefit to the country.
    A Championship: 4 years - 8 first teams - 0 financially ruined. First Division '14: 7 first teams.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    The FAI will only appoint one of their own. If the government interferes Irish clubs and the national team could be banned from international competition. FIFA and UEFA are supranational governance in action.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    The government don't have to interfere. That's not what I'm suggesting at all. The FAI do get funding however so it's fair enough that questions are asked thorugh Oireachtas committees of through the department for sport.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    433 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by horton View Post
    Tom the Gom
    Cumann Peile Dún Dealgan - Champions 2015 (too many accolades to be typing)

Termonbarry Athletic TID!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by legendz View Post
    The government don't have to interfere. That's not what I'm suggesting at all. The FAI do get funding however so it's fair enough that questions are asked thorugh Oireachtas committees of through the department for sport.
    Legendz, apologies for appearing to question your suggestion. I was posting more in an abstract, that government stepping in could result in Ireland getting hammered by the lackeys in Switzerland. There could well be an Oireachtas committee to look into how the FAI is run etc, however I would worry that some of the eejits in the FAI would spin it as an anti-football thing. The Indo (with a certain journo leading the way) starting banging the economic drum this week, which shouldn't be a surprise. Though this is something that has to be left aside and just an overall look at how the sport is being developed in Ireland. I don't see JD as the problem or cause, maybe a result of the mess that the FAI represents.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    238 Posts
    If Delaney was on €100k a year, would he be doing a better job then?

Not saying Im pro-regime or anything just saying would it have made a difference to peoples views on him. Every comment about him says something along the lines of "and at that size of wage....."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam_Heggy View Post
    If Delaney was on €100k a year, would he be doing a better job then?

Not saying Im pro-regime or anything just saying would it have made a difference to peoples views on him. Every comment about him says something along the lines of "and at that size of wage....."
    My own view is influenced by it alright. I'm a lot more forgiving when i don't think someone is taking the p!ss.

I also think that 300k could be spent far more wisely elsewhere

I'm not speaking from a purely LOI point of view either. I think the FAI taking control of the league has actually improved it. or at least forced clubs to take responsibility for some of their failings. It was far worse when clubs ran it themselves

But I don't think anyone could say Irish football is in a better place because of his stewardship
    Last edited by Dodge; 21/06/2012 at 5:28 PM.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

16. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    If he were to drop 300k off his salary, that could mean 6-8 full-time staff promoting the LOI, soccer and assisting clubs and leagues. It also means 6-8 more people employed, 6-8 more households with better cashflow and (please, someone with a brain tell the economists name who has this as a paradigm) that 6 people are working it creates 1.5 more jobs. So we could have 10 people off the live register if JD took a 75% pay cut. But you can be sure, the FAI wouldn't have the vision to do it, eve if the man offered it. The jobs would go to clueless insiders, nepotism would reign and pages and pages of whinges would be clogging the net.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    The greed of the man knows no bounds. A pariah.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    My own view is influenced by it alright. I'm a lot more forgiving when i don't think someone is taking the p!ss.

I also think that 300k could be spent far more wisely elsewhere

I'm not speaking from a purely LOI point of view either. I think the FAI taking control of the league has actually improved it. or at least forced clubs to take responsibility for some of their failings. It was far worse when clubs ran it themselves

But I don't think anyone could say Irish football is in a better place because of his stewardship
    In a nutshell. Delaneys tenure has not brought any additionality to Irish football and has left us, at times open to ridicule (remember the 33rd team ?). As Dodge posted the FAI have brought some level of accountibility to clubs (albeit little) but Delaney consistently gives the impression the League is a burden he just has to take on as part of his role as Chief cheerleader for the International side. This is not and should not be good enough.

What effort was made by the FAI to redirect any of the Ole Ole support to LOI ? Could Trap/players not appear at LOI games when here on International duty ? it would show some level of commitment to Irish football and may encourage a small few to take an interest.

At a time where clubs are in dire straits the fact he is getting such an obsence salary is a slap in the face to those working to keep clubs in existence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    217 Posts
    I know the Genesis report on the league has been ripped to shreds but surely given public money going to the FAI, an Oireachtas committee should get to question Delaney on aspects of the report which have not been carried out or rowed back on?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    Spud,
    Your points are well made about other associations but for me his carry on in Poland was the last straw, while the poor displays of the national team are not his fault some of the travails of our clubs can be laid at the association's door.
    Yes, the clubs are primarily to blame for the trouble they find themselves in but charging €19k affiliation fees, huge match official costs as well as ridiculous fines to clubs can be attributed to the association. Not to mention their outragueous treatment of Limerick FC last year.All of this places a huge burden on small clubs.
    In my view the merger of the FAI and League has not worked but it looks like they have made a pact with the devil and are stuck.
    ''and I for one welcome our new insect overlords''

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
    I don't know how much truth there is to this, so I'm not going to blow my top just yet... I'm one of many (I suspect) who is always willing to believe the worst where The Laney is involved, so I'm really just posting this to see if anyone else is aware of it.

Anyhow... here's the story (heard today from a Bohs fan). In the middle of his cringeworthy efforts to obtain a replay in the France - Ireland tie The Laney (allegedly) said that the tie should be replayed as it was such an important game, and it's not like we were talking about Bohs v Waterford.. or words to that effect. Did anyone else hear anything like this ? As I said, I'm not going to go off the deep end yet, but if he did say it it's a thundering disgrace and a resigning matter. The Bohs fan in question was at the match and heard this from numerous people on his return.
    are you that bored that you would post such a ridiculous comment??? no offence but if you want to get a rant goin over delaney at least give everyone some decent ammo to shoot back because the above is childish. ireland qualified for a top 16 in europe tournament blame whoever ye like, trap, delaney, or enda kenny but that is over achievng so get behind them on a good achievement and hopefully we can get 2nd in our group in world cup qualifiers and maybe get there via a playoff and a bita luck in which time we will have a very good bunch of players coming threw, the robbie bradys, seamus colemans, james mccleans, shane longs and alot more in the u19/21 set up and maybe at the next euro's we can compete on a better footing.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast