Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: John Delaney

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Straightstory View Post
    Quite right. As an 'example' of an unimportant, meaningless game he chose a fixture from the league he's supposed to be promoting! I agree that the World Cup game was huge, and, obviously, for the vast amount of people in this country of much more significance than Bohs Waterford. But the point is: he could have contrasted it with more or less ANYTHING to illustrate it's importance. The fact that he chose Bohs Waterford (twice apparently!) is very, very telling indeed. It absolutely diminishes the league. It was just a stupid thing to do. People are quite right to be angry.
    On the money. if this were an isolated incident then it could be ignored as an off the cuff remark (silly but no insult intended) but it is yet another derogatory remark about the League (remember Trapps comment) he is supposed to be promoting. I fail to see how saying a match in LOI is not important in any way reflects well on the League.
    Calling for different rules for "big" games is so stupid and anti football as to be derisery. I was in Paris and while gutted by the unfairness of the result accept it as part and parcel of the (sometimes not so) beautiful game.

The only complaint I would have relates to FIFA changing the rules on the playoff games (introduction of seeding). This, of course, is directly related to the "hierarcy of football" concept, different teams - different rules. Sound familar Mr Delaney ??????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    God I dunno - maybe as CEO of the Football Association of Ireland

or maybe more likely he didnt want his name to be booed
    First of all you said it was a disgrace if he wasnt there, i confirmed that he was, now his name called out? We are all aware that he is CEO but dont see why his name should have been called out. Yesterdays match was about Sligo and Fingal. To highlight who was at the game would detract from that.
    Why are people who "need no introduction" always introduced?

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by prince20 View Post
    First of all you said it was a disgrace if he wasnt there, i confirmed that he was, now his name called out? We are all aware that he is CEO but dont see why his name should have been called out. Yesterdays match was about Sligo and Fingal. To highlight who was at the game would detract from that.
    Well i didn't know he was at the game, but i would have thought of all the guys called out at the start his name would have been number 1 - as head of the FAI? So why not then?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Well i didn't know he was at the game, but i would have thought of all the guys called out at the start his name would have been number 1 - as head of the FAI? So why not then?
    Im sure if you get on to his PA she will give you his future intended appointments just to make sure its ok with you And for your second point plaese read my previous response

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Im sure if you get on to his PA she will give you his future intended appointments just to make sure its ok with you And for your second point plaese read my previous response
    You dont get my point - as head of FAI why was his name not read out - they even read some fellas name from Castelbar - head of Connaught assoc?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Maybe it wasn't read to avoid the inevitable moronic booing. Give the guy a break, he makes mistakes but he's an intelligent guy and could do well for this league if given the chance. He's not a man I want to see chased out.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Delaney is NOT the the "head of the FAI." The FAI President (currently David Blood) is the head of the Association. Delaney is a paid employee of the FAI, he is not elected to any position within the FAI.
    Last edited by harps1954; 23/11/2009 at 2:06 PM. Reason: Typo- Sorry
    Up the Harps!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harps1954 View Post
    Delaney is the the "head of the FAI." The FAI President (currently David Blood) is the head of the Association. Delaney is a paid employee of the FAI, he is not elected to any position within the FAI.
    exactly, thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    But why would his attendance be announced? "And at the game today is FAI CEO, John Delaney!" WTF?
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Schumi View Post
    But why would his attendance be announced? "And at the game today is FAI CEO, John Delaney!" WTF?
    but surely he would have been the head honcho

like having the prez in attendance and ignoring her and introducing the head of the local county council instead

im not talking about just randomly introducing to crowd - im talking at the start of game when meeting the players etc! everybody else was mentioned, about 5/6 differing people
    Last edited by bennocelt; 23/11/2009 at 1:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    im not talking about just randomly introducing to crowd - im talking at the start of game when meeting the players etc! everybody else was mentioned, about 5/6 differing people
    Oh I see, sorry. It was to avoid the inevitable booing I'd say. Mr Delaney doesn't like being booed!
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    but surely he would have been the head honcho

like having the prez in attendance and ignoring her and introducing the head of the local county council instead

Now i have you. He wasnt brought out onto the pitch to meet the players prior to the game and please dont ask why not!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    But Delaney didn't go out onto the pitch to meet the players. He never has in any game.
    Up the Harps!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Finally
    Anyway lucky I didn't bump into him

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Finally
    Anyway lucky I didn't bump into him
    Perhaps if you asked was he on the pitch in your opening post we could have answered earlierwhy was he lucky you didnt bump into him?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Perhaps if you asked was he on the pitch in your opening post we could have answered earlierwhy was he lucky you didnt bump into him?
    sorry just took it for granted that this was shown on tv or you looked at the pre-game shakey hands of players stuff that goes on in football

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harps1954 View Post
    Delaney is NOT the the "head of the FAI." The FAI President (currently David Blood) is the head of the Association. Delaney is a paid employee of the FAI, he is not elected to any position within the FAI.
    As a matter of curiousity was David Blood at the game

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...318259016.html

Good article on Delaney.
    While I don't think the man can be blamed for our miserable showing at the euros he has been running the organisation for nearly a decade now and I really can't see what he has achieved in that time apart from a big salary.
    He can hardly take any credit for the redevelopment of Lansdowne road and qualifying for a first tournament in 10 years is more down to other people suggesting Trap and picking up the bill.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle_Joe View Post
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...318259016.html

Good article on Delaney.
    While I don't think the man can be blamed for our miserable showing at the euros he has been running the organisation for nearly a decade now and I really can't see what he has achieved in that time apart from a big salary.
    He can hardly take any credit for the redevelopment of Lansdowne road and qualifying for a first tournament in 10 years is more down to other people suggesting Trap and picking up the bill.
    Excellent article and hopefully will encourage the sychophants around Delaney to actually look at his tenure. Be it the Limerick /Barcelona debacle (surely the only assosiation in the world to turn away Barcalona ?) to the wreckage that is our national league.

While it is unfair (however enjoyable) to hold him responsible for all our woes there is little doubt the image is that managing Irish football is about organising a **** up and sing song with the fans after yet another "glorious effort" (translates as LOSS). The fact only this week that he (and the clowns around him) were caught unawares of the demise of Monaghan as a LOI team show an administration completley out of touch. The appointment of Trap was down to Denis O'Briens largesse (Trap had been ruled out prior to O'Brien intervention. And who can forget his appointment of his pal Steve "the gaffer" Staunton ?

The new Lansdowne happened as much despite the FAI as because of them (remember the ticketing farce ? It really does become difficult to see any achievement due to Delaney and the FAI.

By all means pay what people are worth but I think you would have difficulty finding anyone (except himself) to agree that is curerently the case.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    56 Posts
    What if the CEO of another competing European association had carried on in the same fashion as he did in Sopot? He'd have been sacked long since. But hey this is Ireland where unaccountability is something we're tuly world class at. IMO he has to go but I have no doubt he has surrounded himself with yes men who will stick up for him or else.
    ''and I for one welcome our new insect overlords''

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast