Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 11 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Norn Iron rubbish part 23452346526

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Doo View Post
    Okay, fair enough. But let me ask you (and i'm not trying to wind you up), lets say that an All-Ireland team came into existence. What would your opinion be on the issue of

1. Flags and emblems
    2. Anthem
    3. Player selection
    4. Venue
    OK, purely hypothetically

1. A green flag with just the shamrock emblem would be OK

2. I've no problem with Ireland's call

3. Has to be meritocratic based on who's available and not rushing off to play for England instead

4. Belfast, Dublin and Derry are all fine.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Okay, fair enough. But let me ask you (and i'm not trying to wind you up), lets say that an All-Ireland team came into existence. What would your opinion be on the issue of
    1. Flags and emblems
    2. Anthem
    3. Player selection
    4. Venue
    1.Four Provinces flag.
    2.'A Nation Once Again'
    3.Anyone who's eligible! Or available. So not S.Ireland!
    4. Beal-feirste if they build a stadium, or Belleek, Clones or wherever. More realistically, Newry or Derry??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts

A bit of common sense please!

I'd love to see an all-Ireland league. I think the addition of the Belfast teams in particular would be of great benefit to football on this island. Higher competition, new, fresh rivalries, and the whole "feel-good factor" of cross-border cooperation would be a breath of fresh air for the league.

However, I don't think it's the mystical "silver bullet", and I definitely don't think that we should have a united Irish football team. All that is going to achieve is to give the bigots south of the border a sense of vindication, and greatly **** off a sizeable proportion of people to the north of it.

Like it or not, (and I strongly disagree with their political views), the Unionists have been in Ireland longer than the US has been colonised by English speakers, and they will be here for a long time to come. We're going to have to live in peace with them, and taking away their football team because of nationalistic fervour isn't exactly the best way of going about that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    No, I'm not a big fan of tuneless, bellicose national anthems period. I'm not really interested in whether one's arguably more violent than another.

No, I understand your point perfectly well. It simply ignores reality: there are two international football teams from Ireland. As a proud Irishman, I support only one, the other isn't representative of me.

And no need to be defensive- I'm not suggesting anyone isn't properly Irish. But you are.

My apologies. Replace with "don't be a sh*t stirring wind-up".

As someone from there I'll choose what I identify with and want my home country to epitomise, thanks.

Look, if you think ancient Ulster is comparable to the civilizations of Sumer, the Egyptian Pharaohs and Classical Antiquity that's fine- if a tad eccentric or dare I say it insular. But do stop claiming that your fellow islanders aren't Irish. It's repetitive, mildly offensive and ultimately infantile.
    Hold on a second mate, I'm not trying to wind-up anybody here. I'm just puzzled as to why, if you say you are a proud Irishman, you would be against the creation of a team that represents all of those that are proud to be Irish. The only exclusion i'm making is of those who fiercly denounce their Irishness. Never would i claim that those who consider themselves in some way Irish are not just that. And to clarify I have strong ties to Ulster and am proud of what I believe it should represent. But as I said to see the concept of it appropriated by insular unionism is frustrating.
    Btw, edit my last post. It should have read 'only second to that of ancient Greece in a European context'. Sloppiness on my part.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Hold on a second mate, I'm not trying to wind-up anybody here. I'm just puzzled as to why, if you say you are a proud Irishman, you would be against the creation of a team that represents all of those that are proud to be Irish
    There are already two such teams, so need to create another whose most obvious effect would be replace the other two. I'm amazed that you can't grasp this.

The only exclusion i'm making is of those who fiercly denounce their Irishness
    Hardly anyone does, certainly not any Northern Ireland fan. The clue's in the name.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post

However, I don't think it's the mystical "silver bullet", and I definitely don't think that we should have a united Irish football team. All that is going to achieve is to give the bigots south of the border a sense of vindication, and greatly **** off a sizeable proportion of people to the north of it.
    Except they're only there because their ancestors were transplanted there. What about the views of the indigeneous people? Be it in Ulaidh or wherever else in the world.

Accepting the current situation is fair enough, but it means it vindicates an historically illegal colonial occupation and Orange triumphalism and has at times greatly p*ssed off a number of people to the south of it !

Still, suppose we could turn a 'blind eye' to the excesses that have maintained this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    OK, purely hypothetically

1. A green flag with just the shamrock emblem would be OK

2. I've no problem with Ireland's call

3. Has to be meritocratic based on who's available and not rushing off to play for England instead

4. Belfast, Dublin and Derry are all fine.
    So tricolour ditched altogether? I have a problem with Ireland's call. Ridiculous piece of PC tripe. Decent alternative would have to be found. It would be a tough one personally to dump Ámahrán na bhFiann. Venues you mentioned would be fine but you'd have to concede that the principle venue would have to be in Dublin given the respective populations both sides of the border.

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Except they're only there because their ancestors were transplanted there. What about the views of the indigeneous people?
    That's like something taken from the BNP school if thinking.

I was born and bred in Belfast, in Northern Ireland, on the island of Ireland. I am proud of that. I am a British Citizen, and proud of that too.

I am (Northern) Irish and British...I do not view these as mutually exclusive.

When you demean any part of that, you demean all of me.
    Last edited by Not Brazil; 22/11/2009 at 11:42 AM.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Except they're only there because their ancestors were transplanted there. What about the views of the indigeneous people? Be it in Ulaidh or wherever else in the world.

Accepting the current situation is fair enough, but it means it vindicates an historically illegal colonial occupation and Orange triumphalism and has at times greatly p*ssed off a number of people to the south of it !

Still, suppose we could turn a 'blind eye' to the excesses that have maintained this.
    Of course they are. Colonialism is disgusting and morally unacceptable. However, do you propose we start to essentially repress the culture and traditions of the majority of people who live in the USA and Northern Ireland in the present day just because their ancestors from 400 years ago happened to be imperialist warmongers?

I'm happy enough with the current situation, whereby Republicans in the North can choose to play for the Republic, but Unionists can make the choice to play for a side that reflects their own political views.

Although I would like to see the people of the predominantly nationalist counties north of the border to be given the chance to democratically join the Republic if they so wish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Venues you mentioned would be fine but you'd have to concede that the principle venue would have to be in Dublin given the respective populations both sides of the border
    Heh, I think you may have musunderstood an admittedly weak gag. Try re-reading it as Stormont, Clontarf and Eglinton. The first named is clearly the principal venue, even if you don't like it in principle

It would be a tough one personally to dump Ámahrán na bhFiann
    Fine, don't drop it. Keep supporting your team and leave us ours.
    Last edited by Gather round; 22/11/2009 at 11:48 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    There are already two such teams, so need to create another whose most obvious effect would be replace the other two. I'm amazed that you can't grasp this.
    No Gather i do understand but am of the opinion that the reluctance of Northern Irish fans to submit to the idea of a team 'Ireland' stems from a fear of concede any ground to the significantly more sizable population of Rep. of Ireland supporters. Maybe your right and it is a bad idea. Neither side I think would want to concede too much ground to the other.

Hardly anyone does, certainly not any Northern Ireland fan. The clue's in the name.
    Okay, sorry i'm just influenced by the hardline pro-British, anti-Irish approaches adopted by the majority of political figures that represent the Unionist population - who make up the majority of the NI supporter population.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Although I would like to see the people of the predominantly nationalist counties north of the border to be given the chance to democratically join the Republic if they so wish.
    You support re-partition, as a final settlement to our age old dispute?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post
    That's like something taken from the BNP school if thinking.

I was born and bred in Belfast, in Northern Ireland, on the island of Ireland. I am proud of that. I am a British Citizen, and proud of that too.

When you demean any part of that, you demean all of me.
    Only because the unionists until recently have made extremely limited efforts to integrate with the native Irish. Have no objections to them being there, but their behaviour towards Irish people has hardly being impeccable....and in reality they're not remotely interested in being branded 'Irish' or they would have accepted the end of British rule decades ago.
    And ended their obsession with every warped British symbol going....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    [QUOTE=Gather round;1280055]Heh, I think you may have musunderstood an admittedly weak gag. Try re-reading it as Stormont, Clontarf and Eglinton. The first named is clearly the principal venue, even if you don't like it in principle

Touché Gather. Not at my best this morning.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Of course they are. Colonialism is disgusting and morally unacceptable. However, do you propose we start to essentially repress the culture and traditions of the majority of people who live in the USA and Northern Ireland in the present day just because their ancestors from 400 years ago happened to be imperialist warmongers?

Well the native Indians and Irish should both seek substantial damages from the numerous parties who were happy to conduct genocide on their peoples, but given that's the present US, German, French, Spanish, Dutch and Brit. governments I'm sure double standards will definitely apply.

And yer right. At the very least, the border is a farce and any occupied territory should be restricted to 1-2 counties max. Though you wouldn't want to be an Irish Catholic in that particular theme park....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Only because the unionists until recently have made extremely limited efforts to integrate with the native Irish. Have no objections to them being there, but their behaviour towards Irish people has hardly being impeccable....and in reality they're not remotely interested in being branded 'Irish' or they would have accepted the end of British rule decades ago.
    And ended their obsession with every warped British symbol going....
    I'm glad you've no objections to me being here (even though I've been here since birth, as have my family for generations), but that's still the stuff of Nick Griffen.

I should have said earlier, that, when you demean any part of me, you will not "unite" me.

I don't have an "obsession" with being British - I AM a British Citizen - proudly, unrepentantly, and unapologetically. Not to **** you off, I hasten to add...it's simply what I am.
    Last edited by Not Brazil; 22/11/2009 at 11:59 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Fine, don't drop it. Keep supporting your team and leave us ours.[/QUOTE]
    Happy to oblige. Honestly don't think it would work. Football stirs passions in a way rugby cannot. Would be more trouble than its worth.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    just because their ancestors from 400 years ago happened to be imperialist warmongers?
    Can't speak for them, or even analyse their lives in much detail before about 125-150 years ago, but I'd hazard a guess most of them were dirt-poor and forced to move by economic/ social pressure. So pretty much the opposite, really.

Although I would like to see the people of the predominantly nationalist counties north of the border to be given the chance to democratically join the Republic if they so wish
    A further partition is theoretically possible. There's a running gag about this on the Slugger O'Toole site; Derry and Newry might well vote 85-90% for joining, while at the same time Dublin, Cork, Limerick and Galway might choose to reject them. So you'd be left with a partition into three

Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Doo
    ]am of the opinion that the reluctance of Northern Irish fans to submit to the idea of a team 'Ireland' stems from a fear of concede any ground to the significantly more sizable population of Rep. of Ireland supporters. Maybe your right and it is a bad idea. Neither side I think would want to concede too much ground to the other
    You call it 'conceding ground', I call it 'giving it up my team'. As the more reasoning RoI fans have repreatedly asked on this thread, why on Earth would I do that? It makes no sense.
    Last edited by Gather round; 22/11/2009 at 12:05 PM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    I'm glad you've no objections to me being here (even though I've been here since birth, as have my family for generations), but that's still the stuff of Nick Griffen.

But it's your lot NG's & the BNP are appealing to....Have you not noticed their name or colour scheme??

And in Ireland, no-one's trying to force unionists out, just not wanting them to enforce an aggressive, triumphalist 'Britishness' (Thought you were previously 'Irish'??) on the Native Irish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    You support re-partition, as a final settlement to our age old dispute?
    I support democracy. I support the right of the predominantly Unionist communities to remain a part of the UK by democratic consensus as well, and if, say, Fermanagh, decided, to remain part of Northern Ireland in a democratic vote, I would happily accept their decision. But this isn't really the place or time to discuss it.

Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy
    Well the native Indians and Irish should both seek substantial damages from the numerous parties who were happy to conduct genocide on their peoples, but given that's the present US, German, French, Spanish, Dutch and Brit. governments I'm sure double standards will definitely apply.
    I disagree. Nobody in the current standing governments were involved in the genocides of the colonial era, and none of the taxpayers who would foot the bill were either. I would settle for an end to organised state oppression, and equal opportunities, which both countries are moving swiftly towards (although I doubt the US, with its horrendously deep poverty trap, will ever see true equality, but that is a completely different discussion).

Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy
    And yer right. At the very least, the border is a farce and any occupied territory should be restricted to 1-2 counties max. Though you wouldn't want to be an Irish Catholic in that particular theme park....
    Again, I disagree. The current Northern Irish administration has shown a committment to equal rights and the end of discrimination against the nationalist community. I see no reason to think that would change, and state-sanctioned discrimination would resume should the North shrink from six counties to three.

Page 11 of 64 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast