Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 10 of 64 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast

Thread: Norn Iron rubbish part 23452346526

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    577 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by -lamb- View Post
    well, it does, being the national anthem for the uk it also covers northern ireland.
    That's a tenuous argument lamb. By extension then, the Scot's and Welsh should also use it, whether that be before or after their own distinct anthems - I'm not sure.

To continue this tenuous vein - the IRFU does not cover the UK.

For the record, if the IRFU decided not to play the Irish national anthem, I wouldn't have huge problem with that.
    (well - maybe just a niggle)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Doo View Post
    I'd rather never see an All-Ireland team than give up my national anthem
    Good. Not sure what you're getting so agitated about, one unlistenable dirge about fighting with your neighbors is much like another?

i feel that we would have to concede too much ground to insular Nordie demands
    You don't have to concede anything; if you want to get on that high horse, all we're asking is parity of esteem; what else would an all-island team be but 'insular'

The Ireland national football team should represent those that are proud to call themselves Irish and not those who would rather be anything but
    Don't be a dick. We're just as Irish as you, Gibson, Kilbane or McGeady.

And just to add, the appropriation of the concept of 'Ulster' by the Unionist population seriously pi$$es me off
    Why not ignore it if it upsets you so much?

Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    For the record, if the IRFU decided not to play the Irish national anthem, I wouldn't have huge problem with that. (well - maybe just a niggle)
    Don't be so insular and illogical.
    Last edited by Gather round; 22/11/2009 at 9:52 AM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    You are applying the insular 'logic' of Northern Ireland, to the island as a whole.

If Northern Ireland had it's own distinct anthem, then that should be played before Ireland's Call. The idea that the UK national anthem should be played for an Irish team - in any sport, is ridiculous. It would be completely farcical for the Irish rugby team to stand for GSTQ - the anthem of the English rugby team.

Even people in Britain would find it hilarious, and just a little strange!
    God save the old German wan is the anthem of the whole 'Ugly K';even England have taken to using 'Jerusalem', whilst Scotland and Wales have a lot more credibility in that department!

For a 'nation' that can't choose its own anthem, what's wrong with 'Danny Boy', or if it's for an Irish rugby match at Ravenhill, 'A Nation Once Again', complete with Four Provinces flag ??
    Then everyone's happy....
    Last edited by ArdeeBhoy; 22/11/2009 at 10:08 AM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post

Don't be a dick. We're just as Irish as you, Gibson, Kilbane or McGeady.

Don't be so insular and illogical.
    Hmm.

Don't think the DUP, IKP & vast majority of unionist voters would agree with you....
    Though bizarrely they seem more receptive to the idea of AI rugby & cricket teams. Now If they'd just do the soccer....
    Last edited by ArdeeBhoy; 22/11/2009 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Fecking keyboard

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Hmm.

Don't think the DUP, IKP & vast majority of unionist voters would agree with you....
    Though bizarely they seem more receptive to the idea of AI rugby & cricket teams. Now If they'd just do the soccer....
    IRISH Fooball Association might be a clue.

I've no intention of ever denouncing my Irishness, as part of my overall identity - I refuse to concede to the myopic viewpoint of "Irishness" espoused by some.

The rugby and cricket was always one side.

Football is different - there was a split.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Maybe for you, but the majority of unionist voters don't feel this way.....they're very quick to espouse 'Britishness'. And don't seem to be in the mood to be contradicted!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Maybe for you, but the majority of unionist voters don't feel this way.....they're very quick to espouse 'Britishness'. And don't seem to be in the mood to be contradicted!
    Have you asked them?

Plenty of them that I know, consider themselves both British and irish i.e. Northern Irish.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Don't be so insular and illogical.[/QU
    [QUOTE=Gather round;1279985]Good. Not sure what you're getting so agitated about, one unlistenable dirge about fighting with your neighbors is much like another?[QUOTE]

A matter of opinion Gather. I'd prefer to call it a rousing celebration of Irish unity, a yearning for freedom and a defiance against the centuries-long oppression and dictation of one of the world's oldest nations. Now if you want 'dirge' about fighting as you call it, have a listen to La Marseillaise, widely considered to be the world's most stirring and patriotic national anthem. Ámhrán na bhFiann pales in comparison in terms of violence.

You don't have to concede anything; if you want to get on that high horse, all we're asking is parity of esteem; what else would an all-island team be but 'insular' [QUOTE]

Okay thats a way of looking at it.

Don't be a dick. We're just as Irish as you, Gibson, Kilbane or McGeady.[QUOTE]

Missing the point here Gather. If you're proud to call yourself Irish then the Irish national team is representative of you. And i doubt the trio you refer to would consider themselves anything but Irish. Kilbane in particular. Btw, hold off on the name-calling.

Why not ignore it if it upsets you so much?[QUOTE]

Find it a little difficult to ignore when Ulster rightly should epitomise the ancient celtic values and traditions that most Irish people identify with. Ulster is the birthplace of a mythology and ancient literature that is arguably only second to that of ancient Greece and to see it being used to actually separate those who would vehemently choose not to refer to themselves as Irish is a little grating to say the least.
    Last edited by Scooby Doo; 22/11/2009 at 11:03 AM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    Have you asked them?

Plenty of them that I know, consider themselves both British and irish i.e. Northern Irish.
    No, but they've told me! Which was 'nice'.

You can be British or Irish, but not both! No rational person, unless they're from a mixed heritage, would be claiming multiple nationalities??
    That's one thing, Gerry, Ian, Peter & Martin would all agree on. Not to mention the vast majority of the population there. Or elsewhere.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts

You can be British or Irish, but not both! No rational person, unless they're from a mixed heritage, would be claiming multiple nationalities??
    That's one thing, Gerry, Ian, Peter & Martin would all agree on. Not to mention the vast majority of the population there. Or elsewhere.
    Oh no..you've opened the floodgates!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    All of them? fair enough
    Rubbish.

Being Northern Irish and British are in no way contradictory, they are from Northern Ireland and are proud of their British heritage, which is their right.

'Irishness' is not simply the Gaeilge speaking, Gaa playing stereotype that some people like to claim.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Look at who Unionists vote for.
    And their political ethos of what they stand for.

Just let's say there 'ain't' too many mentions of 'Irishness', apart from the recognition that they live there.

If you can find any, answers on the back of a postage stamp are welcome.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Have you asked them?

Exactly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    You can be British or Irish, but not both! .
    Totally inaccurate - but no point going there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Being Northern Irish and British are in no way contradictory, they are from Northern Ireland and are proud of their British heritage, which is their right.

'Irishness' is not simply the Gaeilge speaking, Gaa playing stereotype that some people like to claim.
    Nail on the head - you talk sense.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    OK, look forward to a cogent unionist political declaration of their 'Irishness'.......
    You can't deny something which doesn't, er, exist!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    A matter of opinion Gather...now if you want 'dirge' about fighting as you call it, have a listen to La Marseillaise, widely considered to be the world's most stirring and patriotic national anthem. Ámhrán na bhFiann pales in comparison in terms of violence
    No, I'm not a big fan of tuneless, bellicose national anthems period. I'm not really interested in whether one's arguably more violent than another.

Missing the point here Gather. If you're proud to call yourself Irish then the Irish national team is representative of you. And i doubt the trio you refer to would consider themselves anything but Irish. Kilbane in particular
    No, I understand your point perfectly well. It simply ignores reality: there are two international football teams from Ireland. As a proud Irishman, I support only one, the other isn't representative of me.

And no need to be defensive- I'm not suggesting anyone isn't properly Irish. But you are.

Btw, hold off on the name-calling
    My apologies. Replace with "don't be a sh*t stirring wind-up".

Ulster rightly should epitomise the ancient celtic values and traditions that most Irish people identify with
    As someone from there I'll choose what I identify with and want my home country to epitomise, thanks.

Ulster is the birthplace of a mythology and ancient literature that is arguably only second to that of ancient Greece and to see it being used to actually separate those who would vehemently choose not to refer to themselves as Irish is a little grating
    Look, if you think ancient Ulster is comparable to the civilizations of Sumer, the Egyptian Pharaohs and Classical Antiquity that's fine- if a tad eccentric or dare I say it insular. But do stop claiming that your fellow islanders aren't Irish. It's repetitive, mildly offensive and ultimately infantile.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    It may happen (an all Island team) sometime but i would say its at least 10 years away.

But for the developement of football on the Island we certainly need an all-Ireland league.

Two of the biggest clubs on the Island are Linfield and Glentoran and one of the things holding them back is some serious competition.

The new Derry club would certainly benefit from competing against them and 3/4 clubs from Dublin, 1 from Cork, Limerick ?, Galway ?, Waterford ?, Sligo ? and what about a revived Belfast Celtic or Cliftonville.

The status quo is certainly not working North or South.

It is certainly worth giving an all-Ireland league a go and its just a pity some TV broadcaster does not put money into developing an All-Ireland league.

If it were stuck at for 5/8 years then perhaps 1/2 of the Clubs could get to the group stages of the champions league and the investors could get payback for their investment.

Its a bit of a long shot in these economic times though I am sorry to say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post
    Nail on the head - you talk sense.
    Okay, fair enough. But let me ask you (and i'm not trying to wind you up), lets say that an All-Ireland team came into existence. What would your opinion be on the issue of
    1. Flags and emblems
    2. Anthem
    3. Player selection
    4. Venue

Although in theory i think an All-Ireland team would be quite strong, there would be so much behind the scenes disruption and politically correct bullsh!t going on that i think all parties could regret it and the team itself could go backwards.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Okay, fair enough. But let me ask you (and i'm not trying to wind you up), lets say that an All-Ireland team came into existence. What would your opinion be on the issue of
    1. Flags and emblems
    2. Anthem
    3. Player selection
    4. Venue
    I'm not tring to wind you up either, but I'm simply not interested.

There IS an All ireland team - it represents the FAI. You keep your flags, anthems etc.

I'll be continuing to support those who play for Northern Ireland.

Page 10 of 64 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast