Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Norn Iron rubbish part 23452346526

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Norn Iron rubbish part 23452346526

We can no longer compete with the giants of European football. There is no way with the size of the ROI we can be putting our hopes of competing in major tournaments down to playoffs with the likes of France. We dont have the players. When O'Shea went off injured yesterday my first reaction was "**** Me, are we really that bad". Being able to draw on the likes of Johnny Evans, George McCartney, Chris Baird.. etc. We just arent deep enough. Smaller European nations have caught up in their development of players over the past 15 years. There are no easy ties in International football anymore. If we want to have better chances to compete in World Cups and European Championships Id say this is really our only option. I look at our current squad and I would say that after our next campaign we are fooked. We have no Robbie Keanes, Duffs, Givens, or even players of Dunne's caliber coming through.

I imagine this will get some reaction and would be very complicated but I would be for it except I couldnt have that blue nose pr1ck Kyle Lafferty in the squad!!!

What do you think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    577 Posts
    i think its a good idea and works for rugby but football people are too complicated for it to happen ain the near future anyway......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    47 Posts
    I think it is a load of **** to be honest.
    Roddy Collins, the biggest <insert as appropiate> in Irish Football.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Not to mention an all-Ireland league would be better for clubs. Could build a stronger league with only properly supported clubs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgycanadian View Post
    We can no longer compete with the giants of European football. There is no way with the size of the ROI we can be putting our hopes of competing in major tournaments down to playoffs with the likes of France. We dont have the players. When O'Shea went off injured yesterday my first reaction was "**** Me, are we really that bad". Being able to draw on the likes of Johnny Evans, George McCartney, Chris Baird.. etc. We just arent deep enough. Smaller European nations have caught up in their development of players over the past 15 years. There are no easy ties in International football anymore. If we want to have better chances to compete in World Cups and European Championships Id say this is really our only option. I look at our current squad and I would say that after our next campaign we are fooked. We have no Robbie Keanes, Duffs, Givens, or even players of Dunne's caliber coming through.

I imagine this will get some reaction and would be very complicated but I would be for it except I couldnt have that blue nose pr1ck Kyle Lafferty in the squad!!!

What do you think.
    well, i'm afraid you'd have to accept the blue noses as well mate

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    577 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RonnieB View Post
    I think it is a load of **** to be honest.
    why so good sir? we have an example of it working in another sport? and theres no trouble there now is there?people are stupid hating just because they think there supposed too. or they hate for no particular reason at all. history shouldnt dictate the future? ah irish people.......

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Not to mention an all-Ireland league would be better for clubs. Could build a stronger league with only properly supported clubs.

And what club do you support? Can you tell me why the IFA spilt in the first place, why we have the LOI? The Setanta cup has the crowds kicking the doors down doesn't it. The IFA will not change an the FAI are pretty much the same, never happen.

The FAI do not produce their own players they let the English clubs do it for them. When the granny rule is extended to farcical levels next year it wont matter anyway.
    Last edited by Quadruple1928; 19/11/2009 at 10:01 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    577 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Quadruple1928 View Post
    And what club do you support? Can you tell me why the IFA spilt in the first place, why we have the LOI? The Setanta cup has the crowds kicking the doors down doesn't it

The FAI do not produce their own players they let the English clubs do it for them. When the granny rule is extended to farcical levels next year it wont matter anyway.
    ah sure e may all just curl up and die so. feck this theres no hope left for us... i love irish optimism

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    594 Posts
    should indeed be done as should an All-Ireland league. Sure everything's cross border now. Another step to a united Ireland. Makes sense in every way. Would have loved to see Jonny Evans or someone of his ilk come on for O'Shea instead of McShane.
    And you're right, there's no easy matches in football anymore. The days of going to albania and Latvia and winning 4-0 away are gone...MERGE!

Somehow though I think the FAI would be more forthcoming than the IFA
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    We can no longer compete with the giants of European football. There is no way with the size of the ROI we can be putting our hopes of competing in major tournaments down to playoffs with the likes of France.
    So what did you call last night then?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The big ties in the Setanta Cup do. I remember seeing Pats and Linfield in a jam packed Richmond park that would rival any atmosphere in the Eastern-bloc! Im sorry but there are far too many clubs in Ireland to begin with. The standard of football (no matter what you say... is ****e).

Fact of the matter is Scotland supports a 4-tier league with a population of about 5.5 million. If you were to even have a 10 team top tier league you could get rid of all these Mickey Mouse clubs who get 100 fans a week and drive support towards bigger clubs. Ireland's total population rests around 4.5 million.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    So what did you call last night then?
    Im sorry but that was our first away win against a team of that stature in recent history. Listen the campaigns speak for themselves. We have been at 1 major tournament in 15 years

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Im sorry but that was our first away win against a team of that stature in recent history. Listen the campaigns speak for themselves. We have been at 1 major tournament in 15 years

I can point to plenty of larger countries who have been to less.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    The big ties in the Setanta Cup do. I remember seeing Pats and Linfield in a jam packed Richmond park that would rival any atmosphere in the Eastern-bloc! Im sorry but there are far too many clubs in Ireland to begin with. The standard of football (no matter what you say... is ****e).

Fact of the matter is Scotland supports a 4-tier league with a population of about 5.5 million. If you were to even have a 10 team top tier league you could get rid of all these Mickey Mouse clubs who get 100 fans a week and drive support towards bigger clubs. Ireland's total population rests around 4.5 million.
    That's not true the att was less than what they get for league games from what i remember. Also you say the standard is bad yet you use Scotland as some sort of modelwhat was the score the last time a team from the LOI played a team from the SPL?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    So what will we do with those Rangers and Linfield (to name but a few) fans who you don't seem to like?

Tell them thanks but no thanks when they come down to Dublin?

Actually where would we play? Dublin would be the obvious answer but I'm sure a lot of said fans wouldn't it taken away from Belfast

Too complicated for football basically, we don't have the maturity of rugby for it to work

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    merging the FAI and the IFA guarantees what exactly? A wider pool of players? The FAI needs to develop football in this jurisdiction. Looking up family trees of irish sounding, british trained lads is not developing football.

Keep our players at home as long as possible with highly technical and tactical training. That would be a good starting point.

And bluenose? That pretty effin ignorant for someone who wants to merge with a predominantly "bluenose" association.
    I like high energy football. A little bit rock and roll. Many finishes instead of waiting for the perfect one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    577 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jebus View Post
    So what will we do with those Rangers and Linfield (to name but a few) fans who you don't seem to like?

Tell them thanks but no thanks when they come down to Dublin?

Actually where would we play? Dublin would be the obvious answer but I'm sure a lot of said fans wouldn't it taken away from Belfast

Too complicated for football basically, we don't have the maturity of rugby for it to work
    well why cant we start to grow the f**k up!?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    well why cant we start to grow the f**k up!?
    Cause we have plenty of neanderthals.

Like the pair of leprechauns I had to get to cop on when they starting making monkey noises at Diarra last night.
    Tifo poles, sausage rolls and a few goals.

The Brandy Blogs, back and blogging the 2010 season

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MariborKev View Post
    Cause we have plenty of neanderthals.

Like the pair of leprechauns I had to get to cop on when they starting making monkey noises at Diarra last night.
    Were they shamrock rovers fans

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    588 Posts

What do you think.
    This isn't going to happen anytime soon.

Why? - Simply because the vast majority of the Northern Ireland support would be against it, for obvious reasons.

However, lets imagine it did happen. There would then have to be a new anthem, and the flag flown would have to be that of the new almalgamated association. Our national flag wouldn't represent the team as there would a sizeable proportion of the squad who would not identify with it. In this eventuality, in my view, there would be a sizeable proportion of own support against it.
    So, in conclusion, it's a no-goer for now.
    Last edited by The Fly; 19/11/2009 at 10:32 PM.

Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast