Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: A phone that can access Foot.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts

Question A phone that can access Foot.ie

I've a pretty basic phone, it only has WAP on it so I can't access the normal internet - just aertel and stuff like that. I'm thinking of getting a new phone though and I want to know what I need in a phone to be able to access normal websites like foot.ie? Do I just need a phone that supports html or do I need something more?
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Most of the newer ones are pretty good. iphone and samsung Tocco have great browsers
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I have a nokia N95 that goes on all internet sites. Obviously better if you get a wifi enabled phone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I'm on an iPhone posting this. Was always in the 'once i can phone and text people it's grand' camp. I was very wrong!
    Cork City: Making 'Dream Team' seem realistic since 2007.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    I access the site from time to time with my N95. The browser that comes with it isn't great, I'd recommend installing the latest version of Opera for it.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Any chance of there being a "m.foot.ie" version of the site being made dahamsta? Boards.ie has one ,its just handier for navigating if you're on a mobile

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    510 Posts
    I have a big TODO list gustavo, and that's one of the things on it, but there's a major vBulletin release coming before the end of the year and I'm trying to avoid implementing anything that will break when it's installed. That's most everything I'm afraid, as vB4 is basically an architectural release, but I want to get it implemented asap as it includes features I've been trying to integrate into Foot.ie for a long time, in particular a proper blog, and content management.

Mobile is a priority and it's up there on my list, but feel free to give me a funt up the arse if it doesn't pop up soon after the upgrade. I could do with a mobile version myself, but getting around to things is not my speciality.

adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    97 Posts
    Cheers for the feedback guys. I'm pay as you go at the min so most decent phones are looking a bit expensive but I'm considering moving onto bill pay maybe to get it for a bit cheaper (as I'm spending a load in credit these days anyway).
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I you're thinking about using internet on mobiles a fair bit, bill pay is the way to go as you can buy data bundles. Maybe €7.50 for 1gb (which is a lot in most cases) compered with €1 a day on pay as you go
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    I use the WiFi network in my house, the open networks around town, as much as possible when browsing with my phone.
    Worth opening a BitBuzz account - http://www.bitbuzz.com/ - and dumping a tenner in there as well, or it's free if you own an iPhone
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    I used to use the n95 but i now use the nokia xpress 5800. The xpress phone is alot cheaper and i find the browser to be the same. Two good phones for browsing the internet. I also have a facebook app downloaded to my xpress 5800 which is very handy if you use facebook also. I only use it with the wi-fi in my house or at work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    If you goto www.operamini.com on your existing phone browser and download this application it will save you a lot of time and money accessing the net via mobiles if you use this instead of the default phone browser as it compress's data and also has an option to turn pictures off for faster downloads also very user friendly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    510 Posts
    Great browser, but FYI, you need Java on your phone to run Opera Mini.

They've just updates Opera Mobile to look like Mini too.

adam

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    I used to use the n95 but i now use the nokia xpress 5800. The xpress phone is alot cheaper and i find the browser to be the same. Two good phones for browsing the internet. I also have a facebook app downloaded to my xpress 5800 which is very handy if you use facebook also. I only use it with the wi-fi in my house or at work.
    I was going to recommend this one also. I use the Nokia Express 5800 and its been good on the internet browsing. I however strangely had to contact Orange to ask them to allow me access it as it was blocked as over 18 content They were fine in agreeing to me proving age and legality to enter the hardcore world of foot.it.

I'm on contract here so I have free internet browsing.I'd be lost without it now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    I bought an Nokia E63 for about 160 from meteor on PAYG and it works wonders for posting on here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tiktok View Post
    I'm on an iPhone posting this. Was always in the 'once i can phone and text people it's grand' camp. I was very wrong!
    have to echo that. I use the iPhone and before it I was a call and text is all I need a phone for. now the uses are endless but is very good for foot.ie - esp the WIFI...
    ”That should be NO problem for the defence – OH NOOOO!!”
    George Hamilton...
    http://www.innishvilla.com

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dahamsta View Post
    I have a big TODO list gustavo, and that's one of the things on it, but there's a major vBulletin release coming before the end of the year and I'm trying to avoid implementing anything that will break when it's installed. That's most everything I'm afraid, as vB4 is basically an architectural release, but I want to get it implemented asap as it includes features I've been trying to integrate into Foot.ie for a long time, in particular a proper blog, and content management.

Mobile is a priority and it's up there on my list, but feel free to give me a funt up the arse if it doesn't pop up soon after the upgrade. I could do with a mobile version myself, but getting around to things is not my speciality.

adam
    Just supposing the outage last night was due to an upgrade to vBulletin 4, thought I'd remind you of this Adam. A little gentle encouragement never went astray, keep up the good work. m.foot.ie

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    510 Posts
    Didn't actually get the upgrade done I'm afraid, I need to update some of the core software on the server before I update to vB4. Prod me again when it actually happens, you won't miss it.