Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: The PA Announcer at Croke Park

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    I see he called us "customers" last night. The award went to the xth number customer through the gates at the Aviva Stadium. She got some tickets to the Carlsberg Nations games but judging by the sound of her name she was from foreign parts. I thought we were "supporters"

I also see that his brief is to mention Aviva as many times as possible. "A big Aviva welcome", "A big Aviva round of applause" "the Aviva man of the match" -heaven help us if we ever play Spain it will be "aviva Espagna".
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Not looking forward to him sqawking his way through the New Zealand try scorers tomorrow - he may be on air an uncomfortably long time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Apparently Gerry McCabe was playing for us on Sunday

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    he is a complete fool who ruins the atmosphere. at last wed match the pre match music just before ko to rev up the crowd and team was the opening few bars of riverdance. was surreal

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    I think Vincent Brown should door step this war criminal and get him to resign in the national interest.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Vincent hasn't had much success in this regard so far.

Does the clown really need to tell us what game we are watching or is that for blind people? And as for three cheers or words to that effect for the opposition at then end - puke.

The Liverpool PA man from what I hear on the box is the opposite - so laid back he sounds as if someone has just woken him up.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    circa 2003 / 2004 the FAI instigated a few items on match day that in their wisdom they thought would improve an atmosphere which was fine imo. thankfully some things like the dreadful carlsberg band have fallen by the wayside but we are still stuck with this self-appointed chief cheerleader who manages to suck the atmosphere out of the stadium by tacky announcments, dreary and tired pre-match music and even worse music after we score. who in their right mind thinks these things improve the atmosphere at our matches? our 12th man used to count at home but not anymore thanks to this kind of raz mat az. i find it frustrating really

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Yes - joking aside - the home games atmosphere is terrible.

I've willingly made a spectacle of myself for years by having the temerity to roar the team on and participate (as far as a fan can, you'll understand).

Its not the opera, I'm sure you are all well aware that a crowd at a football game need to generically create the atmosphere. There's just not enough of the crowd willing to do this.

I remember attending matches during the 80's and early 90's and a lot of the crowd on both terraces were like minded in generating the atmosphere.

The beginning of the end was the introduction of bucket seats. There was a marked difference in atmosphere from them on.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    to be fair to the ybig lads who got the singing section organised, in croke park and now in the south stand of landsdowne road, have made a big difference.
    the atmosphere in that section is pretty good. most stand up and sing loud for the whole game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aidz1 View Post
    to be fair to the ybig lads who got the singing section organised, in croke park and now in the south stand of landsdowne road, have made a big difference.
    the atmosphere in that section is pretty good. most stand up and sing loud for the whole game.
    wouldnt disagree and despite the PA announcer trying to do his best to drown them out.
    i understand that they liase closely with the FAI in relation to music etc. If the play list is down to them they have made a mess in that regard. the opening sequernce of riverdance just before ko v norway was a complete disaster

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    I thought the crowd was more the disaster v Norway.

In fairness they've/we've submitted playlists before and twice I've been in the ground early and not heard a quarter of what was submitted.

Is there many still using this site, that use the other site?
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Am on both sites, but prefer this one personally. Layout and general discussion is better here imo.

Think the worst 'entertainment' idea in recent years was brook shields a few years back roaring over the mic while asking everyone if they were from cork, clare, limerick etc etc until he gone through all 32.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Am on both sites, but prefer this one personally. Layout and general discussion is better here imo.

Think the worst 'entertainment' idea in recent years was brook shields a few years back roaring over the mic while asking everyone if they were from cork, clare, limerick etc etc until he gone through all 32.
    The "fan" site is better there, the discussion here.

That Brush Shields incident, was up there with Phil Babb's overhead against the Czech's as funniest moments supporting Ireland. Classic stuff.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Ah yes Brush Shields, Brooke Shields would be a completely different proposition altogether

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    I haven't seen this commented on elsewhere but I found it bizarre that the Lansdowne PA announced played happy clappy music when Scotland scored! Next he'll play the Erika March when the Germans come to town.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I haven't seen this commented on elsewhere but I found it bizarre that the Lansdowne PA announced played happy clappy music when Scotland scored! Next he'll play the Erika March when the Germans come to town.
    yes, bizarre and pathetic. commented here....
    http://foot.ie/threads/199516-Scotla...85#post1824285

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    8000+ views of this thread ! Amazing. I was disappointed at the German game that we weren't given the half time scores of the game in Scotland and elsewhere. People who get off their backsides and go to matches are discriminated in many ways vis a vis the barstooler with the absence of scores, replays of controversial incidents etc etc. The rugby crowd get to see everything played back but apparently the powers that be in UEFA/FIFA don't trust the football fan to behave responsibly.

I think there is a new PA guy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    With Scotland equalising right on half time maybe it would have been a bit of a downer if announced (as it seemed like a bad thing at the time). If it's any consolation also, the GAA don't show replays of controversial incidents either, and they trust rival supporters enough to sit together in harmony. I suppose it's just an extra tool for supporters to beat the referee with when a decision goes against them, a bit frustrating alright though. As for all the other scores, buy a cheap smart phone old chap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,341 Posts
    The only incidents in a game that do get replayed on the big screen are goals. Controversial incidents are not replayed because it's a form of video refereeing. If the ref gets a decision wrong, and it's put on a massive screen in the stadium (two in the Aviva) then the crowd, plus the wronged team would be on his back.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345