Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ireland V France - Saturday, 14th November 2009 - World Cup 2010 Playoff First Leg

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    247 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by czarner View Post
    I really wonder if anyone except Trap and/or the men whispering in his ear think Best should have been in there ahead of Morrison. Morrison isn't exactly a world-beater or anything, but he does have plenty of international experience and a decent goal-scoring record for us, including some important ones (away to Switzerland and Israel in the last WC campaign) and at least one classic (against the PRC - as long as you ignore the celebration). His work-rate in an Irish shirt could never have been faulted either, unlike Best's at the weekend. Can his exclusion since the start of the Trap reign be down to anything but pettiness on behalf of someone of influence in the camp? Seems to be a prominent feature of this regime...
    If we're talking about being simply objective, Leon Best has more goals than Morrison, playing on the same team, in the same league, against the same opposition every week.

I suppose next you're going to tell me that the reason for this is because of Morrison's generous nature and his brilliant passing ability.

I like Morrison, and he never let us down, but to call the selection of Best over Morrison a result of pettiness is unfair on Best who is having a great season with Coventry.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Larks View Post
    Didn't think doyle deserved man of the match. I don't blame trap for subbing him, he was looking tired. I do blame trap for bringing on Best to replace him. I really think Morrison should have been on the squad ahead of him.
    I like Doyle as a footballer, although he does need an awful lot of time on the ball when scoring with the occassional exception. He can appear slow and ponderous at times.

If he wanted to make the leap to world class striker like Anelka and Henry, it would be to keep his head up, be more selfish, once picking the ball up head for goal and with the goal in sight, shoot. You can't score unless you actually shoot.

Henry's goal in 2005 and Anelka's in 2009 were both half chances, and that's all these guys need. Doyle just needs a turn of pace and the ability to make space for a shot either inside or outside the box.

I don't blame him for everything though, I'm sure it's bloody tough playing up front in internationals. But Trap was right to take him off in all the games he did. Those games weren't set up for Doyle and if he didn't score in 60-65 minutes of being reasonably fit, he wasn't going to score in the last 20 or so minutes while being physically wasted. His contribution was declining around the time Trap took him off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    594 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by czarner View Post
    I really wonder if anyone except Trap and/or the men whispering in his ear think Best should have been in there ahead of Morrison. Morrison isn't exactly a world-beater or anything, but he does have plenty of international experience and a decent goal-scoring record for us.
    I remember really thinking both Morrison and Connolly could have felt quite aggrieved (especially the latter) at not being called up by Stan. Obviously Connolly, while scoring for fun with Southampton, is in League 1 and can't be seriously seen as an option, Morrison could probably still do us a job. He indeed scored some great goals for us and was always a good option to have i feel. Amazing what a change of manager can do to a player. He probably thought he'd be with Ireland for another few years and then along came Stan...
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts
    I think Morrison offers more than Stokes, and given he is in the squad it's a bit of a shame Clinton's not in it. He has a physical presence and pace and would be a good option to throw on near the end of a game.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    If we're talking about being simply objective, Leon Best has more goals than Morrison, playing on the same team, in the same league, against the same opposition every week.

I suppose next you're going to tell me that the reason for this is because of Morrison's generous nature and his brilliant passing ability.

I like Morrison, and he never let us down, but to call the selection of Best over Morrison a result of pettiness is unfair on Best who is having a great season with Coventry.
    According to the stats I've seen, Best has scored one more goal than Morrison so far this season, having played substantially more games. Don't know why Morrison has not been playing as often though, given the goal-scoring record - anyone know?

To be fair Best has recieved a player of the month award this season, but my main point was not about how things have been going since the start of August (Best made his debut in May, and Morrison scored several more goals for Coventry than him last season) but over the past few years. It's been a long time since Morrison's been called into the squad (didn't realise Staunton never called him up), and I don't remember anything about his performances that justifies this complete rejection. Hence my thinking that someone in the Irish set-up has a vendetta against him. Such pettiness is quite a feature of our national mindset I suppose, but it's very frustrating to see it negatively affect a player who I always thought put in a great effort and was one of our more effective players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    247 Posts
    He was one of the more consistent performers during the Kerr regime, and didn't deserve to be completely ignored by Stan, despite the emergence of Kevin Doyle.

But one must ask, are there other reasons why you want Clint back in the squad?

Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    He was one of the more consistent performers during the Kerr regime, and didn't deserve to be completely ignored by Stan, despite the emergence of Kevin Doyle.

But one must ask, are there other reasons why you want Clint back in the squad?

Lol! Didn't know what you were on about at first, as the Great Firewall blocks random sites, including apparently http://photos-g.ak.fbcdn.net - wasn't til I went to reply that I saw the link + opened it in a proxy. Tell me it isn't real. And is that Stephen Ireland's tattoo?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    I think Morrison offers more than Stokes, and given he is in the squad it's a bit of a shame Clinton's not in it. He has a physical presence and pace and would be a good option to throw on near the end of a game.
    stokes in a fantastic striker , give him a couple of years and he'll be our first choice

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    What we need is a goalscoring machine.

Stokes goal against Rangers was top notch and the best thing about it, he made it on his own and from nothing, without requiring service. That's the kind of clinical finishing we are missing in the Irish setup.

Even Ray Houghtan was able to make goals from nothing like he did against Italy in 94.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Emmet7 View Post
    What we need is a goalscoring machine.
    This is a really fantastic point. I sometimes wonder how one poster can be so knowledgeable and insightful...........I fully agree that a goalscoring machine would be really helpful (why didn't Trap think of this??), after all, goals can help win games.

To your other point...I'm not so sure about Ray Houghton's availability for tonight.
    "Can I have a Kit-Kat, chunky?"

"you mean a big one"

"No a normal kit-kat you fat bitch"

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Anyone know if this will be broadcast on rte radio online?I'm stuck at work outside the country so hoping rte don't restrict the radio to Irish ips only
    Last edited by Billynose; 18/11/2009 at 3:40 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbod View Post
    This is a really fantastic point. I sometimes wonder how one poster can be so knowledgeable and insightful...........I fully agree that a goalscoring machine would be really helpful (why didn't Trap think of this??), after all, goals can help win games.

To your other point...I'm not so sure about Ray Houghton's availability for tonight.
    I saw two guys on The Dragons Den with a goal scoring machine but none of the Dragons invested, apparently they are not allowed under FIFA rules, so the market was limited.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Whatever happens tonight it sure does feel good to have a bit of belief around the Irish team again, cant wait.
    A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Closed thread.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123