Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Elvery's Super League 2008

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Elvery's Super League 2008

What is the feeling out there for the new league season? Will it be as dull and predictable as other years. Anyone able to make a concerted challenge to the big guns?
    I think that Westport will retain the trophy!!
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn!!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Thunderblaster View Post
    What is the feeling out there for the new league season? Will it be as dull and predictable as other years. Anyone able to make a concerted challenge to the big guns?
    YA. its hard to see westport losing there grip on the super leageue !! thats with celtic playing in the u-20 leageue!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    jaysus has it come to that time of the year already?!i'd have to agree with you on that one alright bout westport but if ballina can maintain their recent progress then i'd hope they'd give yee a good run for your money along with erris and castlebar in the usual mix.asides from who'll win ballinrobe will come straight back down.they just don't have the players unless they do a serious amount of rebuilding in for the upcoming season.they took a few hammerings last year so i dread to think of what the top four in mayo football will do to them!!

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Just wondering lads, how do mayo teams cope with playing fai games during the winter, i would think that match fitness would be a problem? having said that mayo teams seem to do well in the fai with westport,ballina and castlebar doing well in the last few years.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cloggs View Post
    jaysus has it come to that time of the year already?!i'd have to agree with you on that one alright bout westport but if ballina can maintain their recent progress then i'd hope they'd give yee a good run for your money along with erris and castlebar in the usual mix.asides from who'll win ballinrobe will come straight back down.they just don't have the players unless they do a serious amount of rebuilding in for the upcoming season.they took a few hammerings last year so i dread to think of what the top four in mayo football will do to them!!
    If Celtic hold onto the current squad (young lads heading to the US etc & Eircom U-20 League) they will put it up to the Favourites Westport. I cannot see Ballina winning it based on the current squad. It will be Utd or Celtic with Manulla, Ballyheane & Erris all capable of beating the top two. The Premier teams promoted will go back down based on what is happening at the Boro.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoops 1967 View Post
    Just wondering lads, how do mayo teams cope with playing fai games during the winter, i would think that match fitness would be a problem? having said that mayo teams seem to do well in the fai with westport,ballina and castlebar doing well in the last few years.
    Westport proved by winining the Junior cup & Celtic the Connacht cup that this is not a major problem but can give other teams a slight advantage on sharpness & fitness in last 10 minutes.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Closing Time View Post
    If Celtic hold onto the current squad (young lads heading to the US etc & Eircom U-20 League) they will put it up to the Favourites Westport. I cannot see Ballina winning it based on the current squad. It will be Utd or Celtic with Manulla, Ballyheane & Erris all capable of beating the top two. The Premier teams promoted will go back down based on what is happening at the Boro.
    i think ballinrobe will go back down, i think bangor hibs will surprise a lot of people,i watched them play against celtic B last year and they got alot of good players,plus bangor is hard place to go and get some points. it will be very interesting to see if the boro will get the players they looking for if not they will struggle. i also think ballyheane will struggle not got a big enough squad of good players.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the grape vine View Post
    i think ballinrobe will go back down, i think bangor hibs will surprise a lot of people,i watched them play against celtic B last year and they got alot of good players,plus bangor is hard place to go and get some points. it will be very interesting to see if the boro will get the players they looking for if not they will struggle. i also think ballyheane will struggle not got a big enough squad of good players.
    Bangor are a good young side but the clash with the GAA will be a problem. Will young Sweeny play for Hibs or Kiltane etc. I think Ballyheane will do well have some good young players. If they start badly then they might struggle. The Boro will be OK mid table or better. I wonder will they be happy with that or are the expecting to win the SL?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Bangor are a good young side but the clash with the GAA will be a problem. Will young Sweeny play for Hibs or Kiltane etc. I think Ballyheane will do well have some good young players. If they start badly then they might struggle. The Boro will be OK mid table or better. I wonder will they be happy with that or are the expecting to win the SL?
    ya, you right ballyheane will need to start well again this year, only won 2 of there last 11 games last year !!
    you really think the boro are expecting to win the the super leageue !! they will really need to get some(6-7 players) really good quailty players that have played in the super leageue for a while before ! and i cant really see that happening ..

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the grape vine View Post
    ya, you right ballyheane will need to start well again this year, only won 2 of there last 11 games last year !!
    you really think the boro are expecting to win the the super leageue !! they will really need to get some(6-7 players) really good quailty players that have played in the super leageue for a while before ! and i cant really see that happening ..
    I agree but the fig. would be 10 new players to win the SL. Look at the Utd & Celtic squads and you will need 16-20 players to win the league. Cant see past Utd still the best squad in Mayo but Celtic will be the team in two/three years time with all the quality players coming through and Utd not adding any young players to their squad.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree but the fig. would be 10 new players to win the SL. Look at the Utd & Celtic squads and you will need 16-20 players to win the league. Cant see past Utd still the best squad in Mayo but Celtic will be the team in two/three years time with all the quality players coming through and Utd not adding any young players to their squad.
    ya i suppose you right the boro would probably need more than 6-7, so that not going to happen.
    would agree if celtic can keep all the u-20 guys together and when they all over-age for u-20 they'll really put it up to westport !!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Apart from Westport United, Celtic and Ballina, are there any clubs in training at the moment?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Apart from Westport United, Celtic and Ballina, are there any clubs in training at the moment?
    are westport doing much in terms of training at the mo-how many nights a week?do the lads ever get fed up of training and playing with little or no break during the year?dont think our lads are back training yet but most would have been doing a bit on their own playing a few 5asides and the likes-then again we're only playing our trade in the premier division

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think that it is a good thing that we are favourites to go down, we have absolutely nothing to lose by giving it our best shot!!

No doubt our work is cut out but you never never know what might happen, i reckon Westport & Celtic willl be the 2 to beat, cant see Snugboro all of a sudden making a claim for the league although it must be exciting times for the club.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I was wondering how long it would take T.B.to start gloating about Westport.
    and try to confuses us that he was talking about what was good or improvements of this year Super duper.

While I except Westport will more than lightly win the Super League and could win the next two, this in the long run will wane due to lack of ambition.
    There only rivals are Ballina, and Celtic.
    Of the latter they must feel envy of them, trying to promote a higher game for there younger players, which one must agree will attract players from other clubs in the long run. By this they Castlebar Celtic" will produce better players, gain more experiences by playing in The Eircom League than there counter
    part. The long term gain, will mean they will become more successful and the domant force.

My hope for this year league is that clubs could reduce handing over silly fines to The Mayo League, and the league would look at clubs as football clubs rather than "Milking Machines"
    Could start of by refunding the €200 that clubs gave towards funding Mile bush.As they the clubs can not use this facillity unless they pay for it, or they are playing in a cup final.
    Ps €200 could only be deducted if the clubs agreed at The A.G.M.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by renovater View Post
    I was wondering how long it would take T.B.to start gloating about Westport.
    and try to confuses us that he was talking about what was good or improvements of this year Super duper.
    Good man, the stop watch must have been out to time me!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    [QUOTE=Thunderblaster;862618]Good man, the stop watch must have been out to time me!!:

luv your sense of humour, but you fail be to respond to question put to you.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    renovator you have hit the nail on the head.yes westport are in shadow of celtic no youth structure in place or will there be while main players on comm. stay the same,simple reason they dont care about the youth side of things except the monies thats collected from same.the agm will be same few again maybe 1 or 2 brought in by new development,which i hear is not certain and by utd people in local shops collecting signatures for it does not fill me with confidence that i will ever see it

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by quay heart View Post
    renovator you have hit the nail on the head.yes westport are in shadow of celtic no youth structure in place or will there be while main players on comm. stay the same,simple reason they dont care about the youth side of things except the monies thats collected from same.the agm will be same few again maybe 1 or 2 brought in by new development,which i hear is not certain and by utd people in local shops collecting signatures for it does not fill me with confidence that i will ever see it
    I think they are now putting in the work at Youth level but still are waiting for a decent team to compete at the top level in Connacht. Why are the Utd collecting signatures?

In the heights of elation since 7.18pm 14/11/10
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote "My hope for this year league is that clubs could reduce handing over silly fines to The Mayo League, and the league would look at clubs as football clubs rather than "Milking Machines"

Well said Renovator. However I dont think the current Management Committee will ever see clubs as anything but. Recent fines for non attendance at amateur review a typical example. Heard most clubs paid that fine, also heard that they shouldn't have and should have told league to go and jump as the ruling on the fine is very dubious. I understand that the league needs money to develope the game locally but at what cost to the goodwill between clubs and league?

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast