Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: (Free) Stuff to Do Near Croke Park

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts

(Free) Stuff to Do Near Croke Park

I'll have the morning free the day of the match and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of what I should do or see. I've been to Dublin once before so I've done the sight-seeing tour of the major stuff around the city but I'll be pretty much walking every where as I don't want to pay for a taxi or bus.

I figure I'll check out Clontarf and see where the battle was fought as well as probably go to Dalymount just to see it. Any other suggestions?
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,304 Posts
    Glasnevin Cemetery is well worth a visit - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glasnevin_Cemetery
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    I'll have the morning free the day of the match and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of what I should do or see. I've been to Dublin once before so I've done the sight-seeing tour of the major stuff around the city but I'll be pretty much walking every where as I don't want to pay for a taxi or bus.

I figure I'll check out Clontarf and see where the battle was fought as well as probably go to Dalymount just to see it. Any other suggestions?
    Walk along the canal, visit Paddy Kavanagh's statue (the poet, not the winger!), have a pint in the Porterhouse North, go to Tolka Park, drop in on Bertie?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Dublin Suggestions thread might help.
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,626 Posts
    dont think youll enjoy the walk to Clontarf and back in fairness Worm. Grab a bus from Lower Abbey Street, only a couple of squits if i remember correctly...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    dont think youll enjoy the walk to Clontarf and back in fairness Worm. Grab a bus from Lower Abbey Street, only a couple of squits if i remember correctly...
    Yeah it does appear to be about a mile away plus if I'm going to be standing for the entire match plus probably half asleep from probably not sleeping on the flight maybe I should save my legs. Though that being said I have nothing to do that morning so maybe it would be a good way to see some of the city and pass the time.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Try the Botanic Gardens in Glasnevin. Its about a 10 minute walk from Fagans in Drumcondra. Well worth a visit. Beware of the squirrels though, take the fingers off you.

There are a couple of nice boozers beside the Botanics, Tolka House and Adison Lodge, both do decent grub.

There's a daily walking tour of Glasnevin cemetery, a bit gloomy for me, but it is highly recommended and you can finish it off with a pint in the Diggers pub (a famous old pub), real name of Kavanaghs in DeCoursey square where you can have a game of rings. Anyway enjoy the day
    Always look on the bright side of life

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Diggers pub, great pub.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    290 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post

So what did you get up to?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thischarmingman View Post
    So what did you get up to?
    First thing I did after I got off the plane was go to Dalymount. The stadium was open so I got to sit in the stand and even went on the field when no one was there. After that I was thinking about going to Clontarf but decided on trying to get my money changed first so I could pay for the ticket and walked from Northern Circular Road down Parnell Street. I couldn't find anywhere though and eventually my lack of sleep on the plane caught up to me and I ended up pretty much just hanging out in Paddy Power and BoyleSport watching the the various games that were on (Huddersfield v Wycombe, Scotland v Wales, etc.) and got my money changed by the Spire. Then I went to the game and back to the airport and slept on in a booth near Starbucks. Pretty uneventful for the most part but I got to go to the match so I have no complains (except for the result of the match). To top it off as I stood outside the Croke Park Hotel I saw Paul McGrath walking in and shook his hand (it was a bit odd, either everyone else was too polite to say anything or they didn't recognize him).
    Last edited by theworm2345; 16/11/2009 at 6:20 AM.
    My Guarantee